Contest: Back to School!? Win a MK1-PLL LNBF!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

KE4EST

SatelliteGuys Is My Second Home
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 9, 2004
EM75xb
I would guess that 99% of us are no longer in school...however....
Want a chance to win a Maverick MK1-PLL, PLL Ku band LNBF?
Entry is easy: Tell a story about a memorable time you had in grade/high school.
....that teacher that hated everyone
....the time your pants fell down in the hall

This is fantastic Ku Band LNBF. In my extensive testing it performed as good as(and even better on some transponders) the Titanium PLL-1KS. Check out specs. at Maverick Satellite.com.

Mavside.jpg

This contest is open from now until Sunday night at Midnight, PDT, August 16th.

I will select two winners at random on Monday, the 17th, and post in this thread.

Don't want to wait! Visit my site, Michael Electronics, to purchase now.

This contest is open to any SatelliteGuys member or staff who is in good standing. Contest ends 11:59 pm, PDT, August 16, 2015. You must check this thread after August 17th, to see if you won, the winners will not be PM'ed or emailed, you must confirm in this thread if you won! If winner(s) do not respond by August 24th, a new winner(s), will be chosen. This prize will be shipped free of charge to any residential or commercial address in the US, Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean. The winner is responsible for any brokerage and/or customs fees.

Last edited:
Entry is easy: Tell a story about a memorable time you had in grade/high school.
I might get banned if I tell it all!

Well I can remember the High school dances. My school would always get the hippest and hottest local bands at the time. We would sip the whiskey in the parking lot whenever we could sneak out.

I was a good time. The parents really didn't care, as long as we were out of their hair and had a good time. I'm sure we smelled like a distillery when they picked us up those nights.

I actually found a Youtube clip from the main local band that everyone used to sneak into bars to see,
and we could not believe how cool it was to have them at our school.

It was a Ska band called "The Good Guys" Circa 1980-1983:

They may have sipped a little Whiskey that night too!

They came out with an album then too, here's a studio cut:

That was the good old days. We just didn't have all the silly rules and regulations back then.
During hunting season, everyone had a shotgun or rifle or both proudly displayed in the rear truck window. After school, it was not unusual for people to pass each others guns around, checking out the latest model that Jimmy or Johnny just got, In the school parking lot. Sometimes the Vice Principal would come out and marvel at the latest models with the kids.

If you were not old enough to drive a car yet, it was perfectly acceptable to drive a tractor to school.
There was usually a long row of tractors parked in front of the school on any given day,

It was a different time back then.

Last edited:
Reactions: KE4EST
Two winners! Awesome!

Can't really think of any good/memorable stories from school, but for me, High school was a blast because I went to trade school for electronics, so a good part of the time it was more like play instead of school or work.

The most memorable was getting expelled for flunking English 3 years in a row. I went to work and had my GED before my graduating class got out of school. ;)

Reactions: Elkview and KE4EST
I'll tell a story about a teacher that everyone (well almost everyone :rolleyes:) loved. Mr. Berkey was our high school art teacher. He used to play classical music during class (from the local PBS radio station I believe). My wife and I still like classical music to this day simply because of him! When someone was doing something that they weren't supposed to or doing something stupid he would say things like "stop flatulating in circles" (meaning stop farting around) or "simple minds, simple pleasures". We had only been in class a few weeks and one day we were supposed to be doing our work quietly - quietly being the key word. Chatter started among a few kids and he left this go on for a couple minutes as they got louder. He used to stand at a metal podium during class that had a large metal bowl shaped object on it. Always wondered what it was for and then I found out. He dropped that metal 'gong' on the concrete floor and it was so loud most of us just about crapped our pants. :eek: Needless to say he had our attention (and silence) for the rest of class! :D He was a great teacher though and we love him! :)

Thanks for the contest Michael!

Last edited:
The first fight I got into at school. It was in elementary school, either 1st or 2nd grade. A bunch of the kids were playing A-Team, my best friend and I both wanted to be Murdoch. We got into a fight on the playground; a teacher broke it up and we both got paddled at school and again later at home...

When I was in the fifth or sixth grade during recess we played outside. I and a friend tied another friend to a tree during recess. We were just playing around. The bell rang to go back to class. We thought it would be funny to leave him tied to the tree while we went back to class. The principal who went out to untie the boy was not amused. Both of us got a good paddling.

Reading Fred's story brings me back to before I had my drivers license, I would ride the dirt bike to school. That was a blast...

Then having the cops chasing me home one day (had to send them on a wild goose chase..) was interesting too... Had to take the bus for a week or more so they wouldn't catch me or figure out who I was. One of them always gave me the evil eye.. like he knew it was me though.

Favourite high school teacher was Mr Toews (hope I spelled that right), best math teacher ever. He actually knew what he was teaching... and was able to explain it so clearly even I could understand it.

Tnx for the contest Mike!

Reactions: KE4EST and fred555
Thought I should leave a memorable story.
This was eighth grade. Mr. Rogers was a very good teacher, I mean the kinda teacher that really knew how to teach and get you to understand complex things. He knew how to bring it down to a simple level and then work you up to very complex and still be following along. This was Algebra class BTW.
Anyway he was also strict. After class changes he would tell the class everyday to stay quiet and not to talk before class. He liked to make the whole class write 15 times, "I will not talk before class"...or something similar to that.
One day I came in and the class was already very loud, so I knew it would be writing and I was tired of writing for the kids that were bad. So I made sure not to talk at all. My buddy was talking to me and goes, "why don't you answer me".
I wrote on a piece of paper that I was not talking. So about that time Mr. Rogers storms in and immediately yells that the whole class has to write. I did not.
After about 10 minutes he walks around collecting papers. He gets to me and very surprised, asks why didn't you write and I said I did not talk before class. "I will see you after class", he said, in a stern tone.
Maybe I should have wrote, all I could think about the whole hour was what was gonna happen after class. I could not concentrate and I loved math. I had already made my mind up that I was not going to take punishment for the rest of the class if I had to take it all the way to the school board.
So finally the bell rings and he calls me up to his desk. He asks me again and I told him, sorry I made sure not to talk and I don't want to take punishment for others.
He said that he believed me and have a good rest of my day. Was very nice and in a good mood.
I had worried for an hour over nothing. :)

One of the things I got busted for in High school was fireworks. A group of us took some to set off between classes. Needless to say my dad had to make a visit to school to keep me in. I still got a week off plus had to go with my dad and work all week. Still better than going to school.

We had a 10th grade English teacher that asked everyone on the first day of class, What grade have you been getting in English? The ones in the know, said A's, the rest of us answered honestly.... Whatever you said, That was what you got from her the rest of the year....
Thanks for the contest!!!!

One thing that brings back some not-so-fond memories of high school is the night I ran out of gas while driving home from a Latin Club dance. It was a costume dance with everyone dressed in ancient Roman garb. Of course, this was before cell phones so I couldn't call anyone to come get me. Fortunately I only had to walk about half a mile in the tunic (which looked like a skirt) I was wearing to get home and no one I knew saw me.

I was in high school I was on the swim team only member of the team that couldn't swim. The swim team won the tourney and pushed the coach into the pool I started to walk away very fast before they pushed me in to the deep end.

When I was in the 10th grade we had what seemed like a week of bad weather and it forced the Phys. Ed teachers to keep coming up with things for us to do in gym class. One day, they had the idea to let us try indoor golf and setup a miniature golf course. It was supposed to be just putting. One of the kids hit a regular golf ball with a driver out the open gym door and down the empty school corridor the complete the length of the school. It somehow managed to not hit anyone and bounced off a brick wall right next to the open plate glass cafeteria doors. We all very innocently continued practicing waiting to hear about it. Luckily the principal or anyone else didn't seemed to notice. Thankfully no one was injured.

Thanks for the contest Michael.

.....AND THE WINNERS ARE!!!!

Congratulations to FTA4PA !!!!

You have won, one(1) Maverick MK1-PLL!!
Please answer here, and PM me with your shipping details to claim your prize.
Thanks You for entering!

Reactions: FTA4PA
Congratulations to migold !!!!

You have won, one(1) Maverick MK1-PLL!!
Please answer here, and PM me with your shipping details to claim your prize.
Thanks You for entering!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)