Contest: Enter to Win an Amiko mini HD SE from Titanium Satellite - Ends 5/27/2014

Status
Please reply by conversation.
FTA generally refers to TV and Radio programming that is transmitted without encryption or called Free To Air. Old analog satellite receivers are capable of FTA as they could receive unencrypted analog TV and radio services. Receivers that receive encrypted programming are often referred to as an IRD (Integrated Receiver Decoder). Your STB is technically an IRD, but the jargon is so messed-up that many sellers refer to the STB as a FTA receiver with CAS (Conditional Access System). :D

Do I have you totally confused! :)

Thanks for that. So, if I have receiver IRD-capable, but not using IRD, that my system is FTA?
All this is little bit similar when somebody says: There are C-bans antennas and Ku-band antennas. Only difference between those 2 is that Ku-band antenna can receive Ku and also C, but C-band antenna gets C-band signals and perform quiet bad in Ku-band, IMHO.

I never finished my story. I had a phone call. I consider FTA as digital fwiw. Analog came in 1988. My 1st digital receiver was a zinwell 9111 in about 2001-2002. I don't remember my 1st digital feed. Probably a college game. I remember when NBC went digital at the start of one of the Olympics. 2002-2004? I'd have to check the back haul archive.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

if I have receiver IRD-capable, but not using IRD, that my system is FTA?

LOL!!! You are watching FTA programming on your IRD. :D

:eeek A little satellite technology history... :eeek
Originally, satellite viewers either built or bought an analog satellite receiver. When signal scrambling (encryption) came along, the advanced receivers either had a loop out that could connect to an external decoder or could have an internal decoder (IRD). When broadcasters started using the DVBS (Digital Video Broadcast Satellite) consumer receivers were usually referred to as a DVBS STB (Set Top Box). Typically these receivers were capable of decoding encrypted programming (IRD) with a CAS (Conditional Access System), which could be cardless with direct decryption key entry, have a card reader to directly accept a subscription authorization card or a slot (CI) Common Interface where a CAM (Conditional Access Module - Card Reader) would be installed to accept a subscription authorization card.

I agree with you Mikel, the term FTA really came into usage after the introduction digital STBs.

Reactions: RimaNTSS
I feel stupid. I won this receiver. I can't hook it up to the internet. What device do I need to run it on my nexus7? What's a dongle? The blind scan is fast. It beats the openbox s10 easily especially on the slow SATs. AMC 16 Ku vertical, g28 Ku are the few I've tried so far. Anyway, I have wire!ess throughout the house. It works on this nexus laptop and the azbox.

Thanks to everyone. I've been messing with this all night. Will 422 h.264 work on the tablet?

To stream the mini HD SE to other devices it only needs to be connected to your network. The best way is to use a wired connection and the mini will automatically connect via DHCP. You could also use a Generic USB wifi dongle, but I prefer the simplicity and reliably of hardwired.

Download the new Android app mentioned in this thread to your tablet: http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/another-reason-to-buy-an-amiko-mini-hd-se.338046/ or the Big2Small app. Install and launch.

The receiver tunes h.264, so once it is streamed to your Nexus7, the tablet will play the 422.

Thankd, Brian. What if wired isn't an option? Running a cable through the house. How do I connect wirelessly?

OK. Thanks Brian. I will search

Mikel, another option is to use a wireless bridge. It will cost a little more than what Brian is suggesting but its more flexible. Basically it acts as a network expander. The bridge connects to your router wirelessly. Then you can use wired Ethernet connections to your receiver. I have one of these and it works great. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_re=wireless_bridge-_-33-156-307-_-Product
You can plug up to 4 wired Ethernet connections into the bridge. Its a great way to extend your network without having to run wires throughout the house.

Reactions: Titanium
Thanks. What is the disc used for? Is it just the user guide?

I like the sat receiver. I've been busy during the summer but I do have it hooked up. I got the app to work. Blind scan is quicker than the openbox s10 and the azbox premium. The receiver gets the radio feeds on AMC 8 which my other receivers cannot do, its a good receiver. I highly recommend it.

Reactions: KE4EST and Titanium
One other thing is all the channels seem to scan in on a satellite. Especially the AMC 9 angpd g16 cband feeds. My other receivers do not scan in all.

Reactions: KE4EST and Titanium
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)