CONTEST - Enter to Win: GEOSATpro DVR1100c w/15GB HDD, 90cm Dish - Complete System

Status
Please reply by conversation.
My memories were raking the leaves in the backyard into piles with the neighbor kids jumping into them. It usually was a huge pile and we ended up sliding down the hill in them.

My favorite thing to do was going to apple country. That was what my mother and father called it. We would go to roadside stands and get apple pies apple cider and pumpkins every year we do it about mid October. And the leaves were very vivid colors. I miss doing that now. It was in southeastern Massachusetts.

My favorite memories are going to the NC mountains in October to see the leaves change. Riding the Blue Ridge Parkway and the golden leaves blowing across the road. This is a yearly tradition that my family does and I look forward to see the mountains this year.

I eagerly looked forward to the annual Apple Boiling festival benefit at our local Barners Church in our small country town. They would start cooking the apples in five 36 quart Kettles, 24 hours before the event and volunteers would stir it constantly with long handled, large wooden paddles to keep it from burning.
The day of the event, people would drive from far and wide to enjoy a meal of homemade Pot Pie, Cabbage Slaw, Apple Snitz Pie and warm Bread fresh out of the oven topped with Warm Apple butter.
The people would bring their own containers to take Apple Butter home.
That was 50 years ago and it is still going on each year in Perry County Pa.

My father as far back as I can remember took my brother and me hunting. At first it was a .22 for squirrels and rabbits. Then a 20 gage for quail and dove. We would take trips all over South Carolina, North Carolina Georgia and Alabama. It started in the fall but lasted all winter. Whenever we could get away. If only a few hours in the afternoon or a long holiday. Just the best way to raise two boys. Even my twin sister would go. Boy do I miss those hunting trips in the 50's and 60's.

Last edited:
Without doubt, my fall memory involved picking potatoes as child. In Houlton, Maine, Aroostook county the local school district would close school for three weeks in October to allow the jr/sr high school children to help the local farmers.
We would get up at 6:00 am and head to the fields bundled up for the often 25-35F morning and work until dark. We would get paid 45 cents a barrel and if you were really fast and worked hard, you would fill 45-100 barrels a day.
Our parents delivered and picked us up every day, made our lunches and washed our dirty clothes. We would eat supper then go to bed and do it all over again.
In our family we could spend our earnings on what ever we chose, others had to spend their money on school clothes or food.
Today, harvest break lasts one week as modernization and lack of farming has replaced the need for manually picking potatoes.
It was hard work and long days but it never hurt us, in fact, when I think of now, 35 years later, it built character, although we did not realize it at the time.

My Dad was an avid rabbit hunter here in Virginia and he loved to hunt on the old home place. When I was 13 he gave me my first shotgun, a Stevens 20gauge double barrel that I was so proud of, and still have BTW! We use to hunt together down in the country where Granny lived which was about 60 miles southeast of where we lived in Central Virginia.

My Dad's brothers had Beagles that were used for rabbit hunting and I used to love to hear them howl while running “Brer Rabbit” so we could shoot at him. I never did kill as many rabbits as Dad did as he was a really good shot with that Stevens 12 gauge double barrel he had, which I still have today!

He was taken from us 2 weeks before my 21st birthday and those times we spent together are still special even today, and I'm now 65. Some things you NEVER forget and those good times hunting in the fall with Dad were the best ever, and I still miss him!

Definately enjoyed the cool crisp evenings that roll into Halloween. Shortly after that Thanksgiving with all the family memories.

I can remember the cool weather for high school football.
Being in the high school marching band and performing at all of the football games.
Being that the summers in New Orleans are brutally hot,I couldnt wait for the cooler weather:)

Raking leaves as a child....... my little brother and I would rake the leaves from four yards and build a huge pile. I can remember the smell of the damp leaves after a light rain..... Billy and I rolling and having a great time. Then dad came home and saw that he had inherited all the neighborhood leaves! We spent the next few days bagging them for pickup.... Thank you for letting me remember.

It would have to be cutting firewood for the season. Its the best time of the year knowing I didnt have to fill up the oil tank. I know its strange... but when oil was so much cheaper, I felt like I was beating the oil company. Free heat.

So from the end of Sept, until mid Nov, I would spend a few hours here and there after work cutting, spliting, and stacking firewood. Having a COLD beer when I was done...

I can make a History about autumns, but I will be lying because in my origin country it's summer 365 and 1/4 days of the year, so I saw my first autumn when I was 35 years old in 1998.

I remember going to the nearby apple orchard and buying fresh made apple cider!

Also remember being in the band and performing at football games. some of those nights got cold up in the stands.

Apple picking up in Maine on Saturday and Apple pie "eating" back in Mass on Sunday afternoon in front of the fireplace .... ahhhhhhhhhhhhh.. still doing it............................

Some of my best autumn memories growing up were some of the great family Thanksgiving dinners we had. All the grandparents came and what times we had.
Picking local apples and pumpkins for fresh pies. Walking through the grape vineyards picking the various varieties for snacks.

Thanks for the contest Brian.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)