Contest - Win a GEOSATpro 1.2M Dish, SL2 KU and CK1 LNBF with Bracket

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Sneaky Surveilance Camera Dish

Well, I might have the most oddball installation here.

I am a Committee Member/Assistant Manager for a leisure campground on the river near my home. Several years ago, we had trouble with people tampering with the locks on the gate to this campground so I got a little creative.

I had a defective CC camera from work, an electrical box and an old DN dish and some scraps of cable.

I installed the camera and the box and the dish on a power pole right above the gate with the camera aimed at the lock. The dish made it appear that it was transmitting a signal back to my receiver dish at my house so that I could monitor the activity at the gate.

We spread the word around the campground that we were going to catch anyone who tampered with the gate or the lock.

Most people didn't realize that it was all a put on, so it actually worked to stop the person/s from tampering with the lock! Ha Ha!

The camera and the electrical box are long gone, probably blown down by the wind or shot off the pole with a shotgun or something, but the dish is still there. I had to pull my truck down in the ditch and put a 20 foot extension ladder in the bed to install this.

I thought it was a rather ingenious application of a DN DISH300!

Radar

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_06 Mar. 30 09.39.gif
    ScreenHunter_06 Mar. 30 09.39.gif
    254.9 KB · Views: 199
  • ScreenHunter_07 Mar. 30 09.40.gif
    ScreenHunter_07 Mar. 30 09.40.gif
    237.5 KB · Views: 212
  • ScreenHunter_08 Mar. 30 09.40.gif
    ScreenHunter_08 Mar. 30 09.40.gif
    232.3 KB · Views: 201
Jungle Gym Dish Farm

Not trying to enter the contest twice, but I thought you might like to take a look at this installation. All constructed with 1 1/4" and some 2" galvanized water pipe to make a scaffolding with a wooden platform ~5 feet above ground level for accessing each dish.

Radar

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_09 Mar. 30 10.04.gif
    ScreenHunter_09 Mar. 30 10.04.gif
    284.7 KB · Views: 222
  • ScreenHunter_14 Mar. 30 10.14.gif
    ScreenHunter_14 Mar. 30 10.14.gif
    322.9 KB · Views: 207
  • ScreenHunter_13 Mar. 30 10.14.gif
    ScreenHunter_13 Mar. 30 10.14.gif
    252.6 KB · Views: 203
  • ScreenHunter_12 Mar. 30 10.13.gif
    ScreenHunter_12 Mar. 30 10.13.gif
    225.8 KB · Views: 182
  • ScreenHunter_11 Mar. 30 10.12.gif
    ScreenHunter_11 Mar. 30 10.12.gif
    279.3 KB · Views: 202
  • ScreenHunter_10 Mar. 30 10.12.gif
    ScreenHunter_10 Mar. 30 10.12.gif
    215.8 KB · Views: 209
While we were camping last year I seen a guy that had a "base bracket" mounted to the inside of the tailgate on his truck. After setting up his camper, he dropped the tailgate, slid in the mast, set up his dish, and had TV.

Buzz263

moving a solid:

Here's how I moved a Birdview 8½ foot solid dish across town.

One idea that came up after brainstorming, was: bolt it to two 2x6 lengths of lumber.
Placed on the back of a flatbed truck, the lumber was lashed down quite easily, making for a sturdy assembly.
I like to call this method: palletizing.

I made sure I had bolts, big washers, and nuts for the mount.
And we took a drill.
Note in the third picture, how the black mount straddles the same two 2x6's which are bolted to the dish.

The whole thing worked out so well, we moved a second BUD that Saturday, using the same technique!
In the fourth picture, you can see the two 2x6's disappearing under the dish.
The same big bolts, washers, and nuts were reused.

Being new to FTA I haven't seen a lot of installations. I guess the most eye catching was what appeared to be about a 15 foot az/el installed in a front yard near Princeton, NJ.

Currently I have seen nothing that compares to Iceberg's deck installations as posted in these forums. It's great to see his current photos posted together, I would love to see a gallery of all his innovations! I love his wooden table mounts which appear to be sandbagged. I would love to have this guy as a neighbor to share his experience rather than re-inventing the wheel. Kudos to Iceberg!

Last edited:
This pic is of my neighbors dish guess it is the only way he could get a clear view of the south. Not sure he can get the whole arc but it does get it over the tree's! :eek:
Thanks for the contest!!

newsatellite.JPG

The strangest dish setup i have done is when my boss asked me if i could come up with a way to mount his 8' mesh bud in his backyard . I went to his house to survay what i had to work with , and omg he a very little back yard and was surounded by houses . The only salution was to mount it on a 30' pole . I had to open my big mouth , the next day i'm in his yard welding sections of pipe 10' at a time and erected it in this massive concrete block .Once it was up and supported it looked like the main mast of a scooner . Now for the fun part ,, how to get it on top .i actually carried the dang thing up on my back on a shaky 40'ladder , dam i was dumb in those days , but all went well .

Last edited:
I am in the process of getting two old 8' buds and I am just wondering how I am going to compete with all this unusual set ups, as for now I am using 75e elliptical starchoice dishes to get 123w and 83w with great success. I know I may not be eligible for contest as I am in Canada, but I like all the post here. :D:up

Not trying to enter the contest twice, but I thought you might like to take a look at this installation. All constructed with 1 1/4" and some 2" galvanized water pipe to make a scaffolding with a wooden platform ~5 feet above ground level for accessing each dish.

Radar

I'm sure your neighbors enjoy the sat christmas tree :D

I have a Primestar 84e with the mount turned upside down and shimmed with pieces of flexible tubing to mount it on a DG380 motor. Additionally, I have a circular LNB secured to my standard Ku lnb with zip ties.

I am always tempted by parabolic or spherical objects, and below are pics of a kitchen sourced experiment. The working dish is a 12" Farberware Skillet Cover propped by a crumpled bag in a cardboard box. I waved the LNBF in front of the cover, got some sat meter squeals, used a camera tripod to steady the LNBF in a sweet spot and scanned. I was able to confirm DN 110W with S and Q in the 80s. The smaller 7" Revere Sauce Pan Cover got squeals but did not yield results in the scans. I'm now looking for a baby moon VW hubcap to play with.

Visible in the background are a couple of 10' dishes yet to be committed to the ground. A 1.2M Geo would help determine the best spots in the yard. Thanks to SatAV for the contest.

Attachments

• Copy of SD530607.JPG
    Copy of SD530607.JPG
    752.1 KB · Views: 209
  • Copy of SD530608.JPG
    Copy of SD530608.JPG
    700.3 KB · Views: 194
  • SD530604.JPG
    SD530604.JPG
    776.9 KB · Views: 176
This is about as wild as I ever got with mounting...5 dishes on a 4x4 post...this was several years ago...

Attachments

• Dish Tree.jpg
    Dish Tree.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 201
I've never had much of any wild mounts. The strangest was mounting my motorized 80cm dish on a tripod mast and bolting it to a 4 ft x 4ft sheet of 3/4 treated plywood. I'd move this assembly around my relatively flat backyard, shim it up level, and try to get sats that were hidden behind trees from different angles. I played with it a couple weeks, then the novelty wore off. :)
My wife , of course, was happy about my quitting. She thinks I'm nuts.
:)

This article is how not to do an installation it is sad because of the outcome but here goes anyway:

You know those annoying pro-cable commercials that always talk about how awful or expensive it is to install a satellite dish, and how comparatively easy, cheap, and dependable cable is? Yeah, well, they don't have anything on this story out of Sedalia, Missouri, where a husband has admitted to shooting his wife during the install of a home satellite TV system.

Amazingly the husband, Ronald Long, was trying to use a .22-caliber pistol to shoot a hole through the wall in the couple's home to enable them to run a wire through to the television. His first shot was apparently unsuccessful in penetrating the wall and his second shot somehow hit his wife in the chest, 34-year-old Patsy Long. She was pronounced dead on Saturday night.

Ronald could now be charged with manslaughter, though prosecutors haven't confirmed whether that is their intention. It also remains to be seen whether the cable companies will start filming new ads about these new potential dangers of satellite dish installation, but we wouldn't put it past them.

Here is my pre-paid dish attached to a tree. Worked great even when it was windy. Anyway if anyone lives in Buffalo, NY they may remember a very large ( > 12') attached to the peak of this 2 story house which could be seen from 190 going through buffalo. This thing was massive and it was there for years, but seems have been taken down last year (or blew over). Sadly I could never get a picture of it while driving. I cant even imagine how that dish got put up there without a crane.

Attachments

• prepaid2tree2.jpg
    prepaid2tree2.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 162
a circus was in town last month. outside almost every RV and 5er was a DN dish mounted on a cinder block. i though, yeah, that makes for a good portable setup.

then i saw one that had a DN dish and a GeoSatPro (favorite dish of mine) mounted on a pole (~5ft) cemented into a tire rim and supported by guy wires! The DN dish also had an OTA terk mounted on it.

Wish i would have snapped a photo of that. It looked really cool. wife didn't know what the "BIG" deal was, lol.

I don't have any crazy pictures (yet), but I'll mention a couple things.

The craziest dish mounting to me was seeing an offset dish mounted upside for the first time. :) Now it makes complete sense, but back when I first saw one I was confused.

As far as what I have done myself, well I *thought* I was pretty ghetto when I was renting and mounted a DirecPC dish to a 2x6 on the concrete patio and weighted it down with some blocks. That was in 2000 I think. Now that I am part of Satellite Guys, I have realized my mount was nothing special. ;)

My uncle had a C-Band satellite setup back in the 90's. One day his actuator broke and instead of fixing it or buying a new one he simply took some peices of wood he had laying around and proceded to cut wooden poles for each satellite he wanted to watch. He even had them labeled...kept his system set up like that for a couple of years before he went to DN.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts