CONUS Communications feeds on SBS-6 (1998)

JosephHolloway1998

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 29, 2019
Porter Ranch, CA
as you'll find a lot of news feeds, sports backhauls and satellite news gathering feeds on Ku-Band, Conus Communications had feeds on SBS-6 (74"0 W, same orbital spot as Galaxy 6), All News Channel (ANC) was also on there as well, and the feeds went by a specific name "Conus Entertainment", "Conus Ohio Valley Feed", "Conus Florida Feeds I & II", "Conus Midsouth Feed", "Conus Afternoon Feed", "Conus Upper Midwest Feed", "Conus Southwest Feed", "Conus Rocky Mountain/West Feed", "Conus Weird News Tonight", "Conus Night Feed", "Conus Sports Feed", "Conus Atlantic Feed", "Conus Northeast Feed", "Conus Newsfeed" and so on, in addition some sporting events, wasn't these Conus feeds satellite newstruck or newsgathering feeds from different stations?, I wonder what Conus was being used for?

Last edited:
"This CONUS 1 truck was the world’s first satellite newsgathering vehicle, a technological breakthrough that changed the way local television stations covered news. Hubbard Broadcasting and CONUS Communications developed the truck in 1984."

CONUS 1 Satellite Truck | Newseum

Conus1.jpg

If you have a source that indicates CONUS was using BSS band, you should credit that source.

CONUS was providing programming for independent stations. Their uplinks were largely their own productions in support of that service.

The FCC indicates that CONUS used BSS band.
That's not a citation.

Citations involve referencing the documents where the "indications" were made. Web links to these documents, if available, make this very easy.

The fact that CONUS had a BSS license doesn't tell us anything useful about how (or even whether) they were using it.

Citation link: FCC Record

They tell us that the CONUS BSS locations are at 101 deg, 110 deg and 119 deg. (as I looked in my Satellite book, 101 deg and 119 deg were also used for DBS locations (DBS 1/2 (DirecTV/USSB) and Echostar 1/2 (Dish Network)).

That's much better! Better yet, you would detail the specific part of the document that supports your claim but I got the idea.
They tell us that the CONUS BSS locations are at 101 deg, 110 deg and 119 deg. (as I looked in my Satellite book, 101 deg and 119 deg were also used for DBS locations (DBS 1/2 (DirecTV/USSB) and Echostar 1/2 (Dish Network)).
The failure here is that the "Conus" (should have been all caps as it is an acronym) referred to in this document isn't the company known as CONUS Communications. In this context, "Conus" refers to satellites with CONtinental United States beam coverage.

This document doesn't speak to SBS-6 (located at 95W, not 74W as you indicated). Instead it is satellite operators whining about DIRECTV's application to add BSS downlinks in their licensed DBS slots.

Continuing with the conversation, as for the USA Network News Updates in between shows (Pacific Blue, Silk Stalkings, La Femme Nikita etc...). Weren't they done at the studios of All News Channel? (which was carried on SBS6 when Conus Communications weren't broadcasting any feeds, in addition to it being on the U.S. Satellite Broadcasting (USSB) channel lineup)