CONUS HD locals now at 72.7 satellite!

pattykay

formerly crodrules
Original poster
Jun 14, 2014
North Central Ohio
Check this out, everybody:

This should make it a lot easier for subscribers on Eastern Arc to "move" to the following markets:
  • Charlottesville, VA
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Louisville, KY
Plus, CONUS HD feeds of PBS from:
  • Owensboro, KY (Evansville, IN market)
  • Lexington, KY
  • Little Rock, AR
  • Paducah, KY
Along with these changes, it looks like the Casper, WY HD locals have been completely removed from the 129 satellite, to be exclusively in CONUS on the 77 satellite instead. However, the Casper, WY standard-def feeds are now CONUS at 129.

Looks like they moved those 3 cities locals from 77 conus to 72 conus.
Check it again. These are new feeds that were added to the 72 satellite. There is nothing about removing them from the 77 satellite. (At least, not in this uplink report.) So, they are now CONUS at both locations. Dish may very well be preparing to remove them from 77 at some point, though. I would imagine that most people who have the 77 satellite also already have the 72 satellite. So, this move would not affect them. There may be a significant number of subscribers using some kind of mixed-arc setup though, and/or who may have line-of-sight issues with the 72 satellite. So, they would be affected if (more likely, when) those cities do get removed from 77. I would think that Dish would allow some time to notify those customers of this change, before going ahead and pulling them.

Reactions: Howard Simmons
However, the Casper, WY standard-def feeds are now CONUS at 129.
Update: those CONUS feeds have now had their local channel mapdown removed:

Other Changes
7955 KCWC LANDER, WY (PBS) 129° TP 31 SD Hidden – Market Removed Mapdown Removed (was 60 Local)
7950 KTWO CASPER, WY (ABC) 129° TP 31 SD Hidden – Market Removed Mapdown Removed (was 2 Local)
7951 KGWC CASPER, WY (CBS) 129° TP 31 SD Hidden – Market Removed Mapdown Removed (was 14 Local)
7952 KCWY CASPER, WY (NBC) 129° TP 31 SD Hidden – Market Removed Mapdown Removed (was 13 Local)
7953 KFNB CASPER, WY (FOX) 129° TP 31 SD Hidden – Market Removed Mapdown Removed (was 20 Local)
7957 KCWY2 CASPER, WY (NBC) 129° TP 31 SD Hidden – Market Removed Mapdown Removed (was 12 Local)
7954 KWYF CASPER, WY (CW) 129° TP 31 SD Hidden – Market Removed Mapdown Removed (was 26 Local)
7956 KCWC LANDER, WY (PBS) 129° TP 31 SD Hidden – Market Removed Mapdown Removed (was 4 Local)

Other Changes
7950 KTWO CASPER, WY (ABC) 129° TP 31 SD Hidden – xA4 Market Flag Removed
7951 KGWC CASPER, WY (CBS) 129° TP 31 SD Hidden – xA4 Market Flag Removed xED Removed
7952 KCWY CASPER, WY (NBC) 129° TP 31 SD Hidden – xA4 Market Flag Removed
7953 KFNB CASPER, WY (FOX) 129° TP 31 SD Hidden – xA4 Market Flag Removed xED Removed

This means that any subscribers still receiving these channels will only see them on their four-digit channel numbers now. This also means that Dish is one step farther along in completely removing these SD feeds, and making the Casper, WY market HD-only. (Or rather, MPEG-4 only, which still requires an HD receiver.) Additional channel numbers for a couple of the SD feeds (now in MPEG-4) have been added on a spotbeam on the 129 satellite:

New Uplinks / Mappings – Channels Available
7958 KCWY2 (12 Local) CASPER, WY (NBC) added to 129° 2s13 (SC Montana) (SD MPEG4 Casper, WY market Hidden) AVAILABLE
7959 KWYF (26 Local) CASPER, WY (CW) added to 129° 2s13 (SC Montana) (SD MPEG4 Casper, WY market Hidden) AVAILABLE

In any event, it looks like Casper, WY will no longer be CONUS, once the channels from 129 TP 31 finally get removed.

Reactions: Tvland1 and NYDutch
In any event, it looks like Casper, WY will no longer be CONUS, once the channels from 129 TP 31 finally get removed.
Casper, WY CONUS feeds were removed today:
Channels Moved
7954 KWYF (26 Local) CASPER, WY (CW) moved from 129° TP 31 to 77° TP 17 (SD MPEG4 Casper, WY market Hidden)

Uplinks Removed
7950 KTWO CASPER, WY (ABC) removed from 129° TP 31 (SD Hidden)
7951 KGWC CASPER, WY (CBS) removed from 129° TP 31 (SD Hidden)
7952 KCWY CASPER, WY (NBC) removed from 129° TP 31 (SD Hidden)
7953 KFNB CASPER, WY (FOX) removed from 129° TP 31 (SD Hidden)
7955 KCWC LANDER, WY (PBS) removed from 129° TP 31 (SD Hidden)
7956 KCWC LANDER, WY (PBS) removed from 129° TP 31 (SD Hidden)
7957 KCWY2 CASPER, WY (NBC) removed from 129° TP 31 (SD Hidden)
7954 KWYF (26 Local) CASPER, WY (CW) removed from 77° TP 17 (SD MPEG4 Casper, WY market Hidden)

Of course, the big news from that uplink report is that HBO and Cinemax are now uplinked and in testing! :shh

I get the Louisville locals...…..is there any real significance to this?
People with a mixed-arc setup (such as Western Arc plus a side dish pointed at 77) are getting letters from Dish, advising them of the need for a re-point, or a flip to the full Eastern Arc instead. It allows Dish to install the standard 1000.2 dish going forward, instead of needing to install a 1000.4 (plus a DPH42 switch for Hopper 3 installs). If you already have a 1000.4 Eastern Arc dish, no action is needed, but you can downgrade to the smaller 1000.2 dish if you wish.

If Louisville is the designated DMA for your location, then no, there's no significance to them being on a spot or CONUS beam.
The HD feeds on Eastern Arc are CONUS either way. They are simply moving from 77 to 72 instead. Those who are getting the SD feeds on spotbeam from the 110 satellite may be impacted by this, when Dish decides to finally remove those. This move allows Dish to flip those subscribers to Eastern Arc using the standard 1000.2 dish.

Reactions: NYDutch
I have an old single legacy LNB. Can't seem to get 72 with that dish. Is there something else I can use to pick up 72 with a single LNB?

People with a mixed-arc setup (such as Western Arc plus a side dish pointed at 77) are getting letters from Dish, advising them of the need for a re-point, or a flip to the full Eastern Arc instead. It allows Dish to install the standard 1000.2 dish going forward, instead of needing to install a 1000.4 (plus a DPH42 switch for Hopper 3 installs). If you already have a 1000.4 Eastern Arc dish, no action is needed, but you can downgrade to the smaller 1000.2 dish if you wish.

The HD feeds on Eastern Arc are CONUS either way. They are simply moving from 77 to 72 instead. Those who are getting the SD feeds on spotbeam from the 110 satellite may be impacted by this, when Dish decides to finally remove those. This move allows Dish to flip those subscribers to Eastern Arc using the standard 1000.2 dish.
Hello crodrules, you think this is the real reason for these moves? sounds more like making up space for 4K? or optimizing the spectrum usage, probably they don't have same funds to launch replacement birds and they're optimizing their operation......(just my two cents) seems a lot of work sending letters to customers that already have whatever 1000.4 or 1000.2 and forcing them to migrate to eastern arc...what about those that have LOS (Line OF Sight) compromised......
Regards.....

Reactions: charlesrshell
Hello crodrules, you think this is the real reason for these moves? sounds more like making up space for 4K? or optimizing the spectrum usage, probably they don't have same funds to launch replacement birds and they're optimizing their operation......(just my two cents) seems a lot of work sending letters to customers that already have whatever 1000.4 or 1000.2 and forcing them to migrate to eastern arc...what about those that have LOS (Line OF Sight) compromised......
Regards.....
I can think of a couple of reasons that are more plausible.

First, if I remember correctly, Dish didn't exactly manufacture a very large quantity of 1000.4 dishes and LNB's. (At least, not when compared to the number of 1000.2 dishes and LNB's in existence.) So, it is possible that Dish is running out of stock on that model. Therefore, they may have felt that it is not a good idea to continue to put locals on a satellite (77) that specifically requires that model (1000.4 EA) for a standard installation.

The other factor to consider is "moving" (or using a service address other than where you are actually located). On the one hand, putting some CONUS local markets on 72 makes "moving" to those markets easier, by making them available with the more standard 1000.2 dish. However, the real factor may have been that using the 77 satellite made it much easier to receive those signals in Mexico, where people are not supposed to be subscribing to US Dish service at all. (Dish has a separate Dish Mexico service for them.) So, another likely reason for this move was to crack down on people illegally receiving US network service in Mexico, and try to get them to switch to Dish Mexico instead.

Just my two cents.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I can think of a couple of reasons that are more plausible.

First, if I remember correctly, Dish didn't exactly manufacture a very large quantity of 1000.4 dishes and LNB's. (At least, not when compared to the number of 1000.2 dishes and LNB's in existence.) So, it is possible that Dish is running out of stock on that model. Therefore, they may have felt that it is not a good idea to continue to put locals on a satellite (77) that specifically requires that model (1000.4 EA) for a standard installation.

The other factor to consider is "moving" (or using a service address other than where you are actually located). On the one hand, putting some CONUS local markets on 72 makes "moving" to those markets easier, by making them available with the more standard 1000.2 dish. However, the real factor may have been that using the 77 satellite made it much easier to receive those signals in Mexico, where people are not supposed to be subscribing to US Dish service at all. (Dish has a separate Dish Mexico service for them.) So, another likely reason for this move was to crack down on people illegally receiving US network service in Mexico, and try to get them to switch to Dish Mexico instead.

Just my two cents.
Could be.....but Streaming is hurting both Dish and DirecTV, people around the world are streaming even locals using VPN and or other methods, I saw your other post of HBO & Max returning to Dishnetwork...that for me is a sign that they're making moves to recover customers, I really can't remember how long ago Dish dropped HBO because of their fees.....they have not reached an agreement the Fees are even probably higher...in my view, customers like to have no surprises, unless for a good or better reason, if these moves require free antennas and alignment I see no problem, if they do it free with customer commitment.....who knows.
These moves have to cost them money if they cost money but at the end they optimized spectrum or any other financial reason that make more sense to me.....
Regards.

Reactions: pattykay
Did they also move Lexington, KY permanently from 77 to 72?
James Long's local listings page has not been updated with the 6/16/2021 changes yet. However, since Lexington was not listed in the uplink report that I linked in post number 11, I would guess it is still safe at 77, for now. You can check the satellites and transponders needed for each local market here: Local Channels on DISH Network (Unofficial Listing)

James Long's local listings page has not been updated with the 6/16/2021 changes yet. However, since Lexington was not listed in the uplink report that I linked in post number 11, I would guess it is still safe at 77, for now. You can check the satellites and transponders needed for each local market here: Local Channels on DISH Network (Unofficial Listing)
That page is updated now. Lexington, KY is still at 77. Along with Casper, WY and Springfield, MO they are the only markets left at 77 now.

Reactions: bantonb
Could be.....but Streaming is hurting both Dish and DirecTV, people around the world are streaming even locals using VPN and or other methods, I saw your other post of HBO & Max returning to Dishnetwork...that for me is a sign that they're making moves to recover customers, I really can't remember how long ago Dish dropped HBO because of their fees.....they have not reached an agreement the Fees are even probably higher...in my view, customers like to have no surprises, unless for a good or better reason, if these moves require free antennas and alignment I see no problem, if they do it free with customer commitment.....who knows.
These moves have to cost them money if they cost money but at the end they optimized spectrum or any other financial reason that make more sense to me.....
Regards.
The possible return of HBO is more likely the result of Discovery Networks now "running" the Warner Media channels, not AT&T who are still part owners. I think Dish has better relations with Discovery Networks, and Discovery Networks attitude is probably that it is better to get some money from Dish than nothing at all since Dish has not been in any hurry to bring back HBO. However, I would not expect the full suite of HBO channels as before. IMHO, it will likely be an "HBO Lite" suite with some VOD access at a lower price than other MVPD's who have the entire suite at a higher price. It would be a way of getting money from Dish while not destroying the "FULL" value other MVPD's have paying for the full suite. All that is IMHO. I think Dish has always been open to a more financially reasonable (for Dish, that is) way of providing HBO, but AT&T always showed Dish (a competitor) the "hand," while Discovery Networks seems willing to make a deal and find some way to get HBO back on Dish (and take Dish's money) that makes sense for Discovery.

Reactions: Rafaelccs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts