converter box

gpat

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Just got my coupons for analog box.
Thought I would go here first as you guys
are the ones whos opinion I would value the most.
What brand and where should I get it from the list
it looks like about 40 choices.

Are you asking for the OTA converter box?
This is off topic of FTA but I just bought Insignia from Best Buy with the coupon. Excellent box with very nice features you don't find in high end HDTVs. People raved about the LG chips Insignia uses. I highly recommend it.

Here is a nice review of many boxes

http://www.birdseye.net/article_archive/dtv_converter_box_review_and_where_to_buy.htm

Just got my coupons for analog box.
Thought I would go here first as you guys
are the ones whos opinion I would value the most.
What brand and where should I get it from the list
it looks like about 40 choices.

Just get the one you can find. I'd suspect that some stores may run low on supplies since more and more folks are getting the coupons.

found it thanks

I think Ill wait until a few more have been tested

Last edited:
I got my coupon for my convert box last Friday. Radio Shack didn't have any of the Zenith boxes in stock, so I went to Best Buy and got the Insignia box. I connected my CM 4228 antenna to it and I was amazed by picture quality, tuner sensitivity, and the ability to change picture size.

First, the picture on the analog TV has never looked so good. Second, on the initial scan it got 44 digital channels (they count all sub-channels as separate channels) and I have since added five more manually. Third, you can set the output for either a 4x3 or 16x9 screen, and there is a "Zoom" button on the remote that lets the box adjust the picture size according to "station program format", or you can set it to "letter box" or "full screen". If it's set to the automatic "station program format", HD channels are letter boxed, SD channels are full screen. If an HD channel is showing a 4x3 picture you need to go to full screen mode, otherwise you have black bars on all four sides of a tiny picture.

As for the tuner sensitivity, it beats the OTA tuner in my Dish ViP622 DVR and our new Sony XBR4 TV. I can get three Sacramento channels with it here in San Francisco, not just one like on the other two tuners, and a station from San Jose that occasionally breaks up on the other two tuners is solid on the converter box.

I hooked it up to the Sony XBR using the yellow-red-white cable that was supplied with it, and the picture is comparable to the SD picture I get from Dish Network. For $19.95, I've got a nice little receiver here. Yes, it's only SD, but the features it offers are really nice.

CNet has reviewed four boxes... the RCA, the Zenith, the Insignia and the GE. You can find it on their web site: Which (nearly) free DTV converter box should I buy? - CNET Reviews.

Larry
SF

I have a samsung OTA digital tuner box from Circuit city. It works great with a very sensitive tuner. tunes weak signals very well.
How much was it?(over and above the coupon)
NM its not on the "approved" list.

digital box..

???? for the older tvs with only the antenna hookup on the back are they pretty much junk ?? i have 2 coupons i hooked one up threw an old vcr and that worked??what about people who dont have that option??so junk all those old tvs,????

???? for the older tvs with only the antenna hookup on the back are they pretty much junk ?? i have 2 coupons i hooked one up threw an old vcr and that worked??what about people who dont have that option??so junk all those old tvs,????

most of the convertr boxes have an RF out just like a VCR. Are you referring to having only the twin lead connecter?

no the old tv set im talking about only has the conecter for the antenna and the no video in or audio ..you have to have those on the tv in order to plug the converter box in am i right..??

Most converter boxes have a coax out lead. THat si why i am asking what KIND of antenna lead youa e looking for.

anymore feedback on the best bang for the buck on the "approved" list?

anymore feedback on the best bang for the buck on the "approved" list?

I had a discussion via phone yesterday with a Dish Network retailer/installer in our area.I asked if he had any info on the TR-40 box from Echo Star (it is on the "approved" list).He said they were supposed to be getting some from Echo Star sometime next week on them.If you're located pretty close to a Dish Network retailer,perhaps give them a call and see what they have to say.I haven't seen any reviews online for the TR-40 yet,perhaps more info on these boxes will start showing up online soon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)