Convince me to stay with Dish / Tell me where I am wrong

AlaJoe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 5, 2005
The service I want is HD DVR service in three rooms. I am comparing Direct Choice Extra + service plan + Showtime to Dish top 200 + service plan + Showtime.

I currently have that with a 622 and 722 and my monthly bill is

59.99 top 200
10.00 Hd 200
17.00 second dvr
10.00 Dish Platinum
6.00 DVR service
6.00 Service plan
12.99 Showtime
121.98 Total

So with Dish my service will cost 121.98 x 24 for the next two years or 2927.52.

This only gets me HD on Two tvs. When and/or if Dish ever releases the multiroom extender to get Hd on TV 2 of a 922 the 922 upgrade would be $200 and I am sure the extender will be another $100 at least. In addition the 922 would be another $4.00 a month.

This would bring the total cost of HD DVR service in three rooms with Dish top 200 + service plan + Showtime to $3275.52 with Dish

With Direct It would be
65.99 Choice extra
12.00 receiver fees
7.00 Dvr srvice
3.00 Whole house DVR
12.99 Showtime
5.99 protection plan
106.97 Total

Because of new customer and refer a freind promos months:
52.97 months 1-3
65.97 months 4-10
85.97 months 11-12
90.97 months 13-24

So total cost for direct with HD DVR on three tvs with Choice extra + Showtime + service plan would be $1874.10

Now I would have a $298 equipment fee with Direct so that would bring the total to $2172.10

That is $1103.42 less Direct would cost me than Dish over the next two years and with Direct I would have HD on all three tvs now and have whole house DVR Now. With Dish I would only have Partial whole house dvr and I would not have HD on all three tvs until the multiroom extender that has been coming soon for 14 months now is finally if ever released.

I have got very used to how the dish dvrs and there remotes work and do not want to change but everything I see says I can save over a weeks pay by switching and get better service. Tell me where I am wrong,

Joe

The service I want is HD DVR service in three rooms. I am comparing Direct Choice Extra + service plan + Showtime to Dish top 200 + service plan + Showtime.

I currently have that with a 622 and 722 and my monthly bill is

59.99 top 200
10.00 Hd 200
17.00 second dvr
10.00 Dish Platinum
6.00 DVR service
6.00 Service plan
12.99 Showtime
121.98 Total

So with Dish my service will cost 121.98 x 24 for the next two years or 2927.52.

This only gets me HD on Two tvs. When and/or if Dish ever releases the multiroom extender to get Hd on TV 2 of a 922 the 922 upgrade would be $200 and I am sure the extender will be another $100 at least. In addition the 922 would be another $4.00 a month.

This would bring the total cost of HD DVR service in three rooms with Dish top 200 + service plan + Showtime to $3275.52 with Dish

With Direct It would be
65.99 Choice extra
12.00 receiver fees
7.00 Dvr srvice
3.00 Whole house DVR
12.99 Showtime
5.99 protection plan
106.97 Total

Because of new customer and refer a freind promos months:
52.97 months 1-3
65.97 months 4-10
85.97 months 11-12
90.97 months 13-24

So total cost for direct with HD DVR on three tvs with Choice extra + Showtime + service plan would be $1874.10

Now I would have a $298 equipment fee with Direct so that would bring the total to $2172.10

That is $1103.42 less Direct would cost me than Dish over the next two years and with Direct I would have HD on all three tvs now and have whole house DVR Now. With Dish I would only have Partial whole house dvr and I would not have HD on all three tvs until the multiroom extender that has been coming soon for 14 months now is finally if ever released.

I have got very used to how the dish dvrs and there remotes work and do not want to change but everything I see says I can save over a weeks pay by switching and get better service. Tell me where I am wrong,

Joe

Wouldn't HD Extra Pack with D* be $4.99/month (unless you cancel and re-add it after each three month trial)? It would not include all of the channels in Dish Platinum. In addition, isn't HD also $10/month with D*, or is there a waived $10 fee for having autopay or/and paperless billing with them? I also remember reading a while back that it would be waived for the first two years; I am not sure if they changed those terms.

Also, it may help to tell us what programming you are absolutely wanting in your package.

I will agree that prices for television programming have gone up; we actually downgraded our programming before the last increase.

If I could Save over $1000 for the next 2 years switching providers, I don't think I would besitting here asking questions, I 'd already be switched.:eek:

But thats just me!:)

That seems a little extreme, Are you sure about your promo prices?

I will say this, your comparisons and costs are not correct, but it would take too long for me really go through it all.

In the end, if you are going to compare a promo price from a competitor, it will almost always be less expensive to switch during the time the promo is in effect to switch. If I were to be stupid and take an offer from Charter Cable, I would save somewhere around $340 the first year, with less programming and horrendous receivers though. Then in the second year pay quite abit more than Dish and still with less programming, and horrendous receivers....

Youe scenario looks like you have made up your mind that Directv is better for you. Say goodbye to DISH and sign your 2 yr contract.

If you have never had DirecTV you probably need to try it because the biggest impression is made on a person when you have the service for awhile.For some their happier,others not so.I am in the not so category as I returned to Dish Network for the best value for me.Good Luck!;):)

i just swtiched to dish this week. i was with tw. the first year i am saving about 45.00 a month with the everything pack. i also have the hd extra and hd free for life. if you are looking for hd then dish seems to have the best selection and the most channels. the extra pack is 10.00 but has about4 times the channels as direct and tw. but i must say you are talking about a heck of a savings with direct.

You have a case of Apples and Oranges comparison here. Promo is gonna be cheaper. Also you don't need to get the 922's for the sling. The 722k's can have a sling adapter added to them for less than the $$ you mention. So either do more research or try D*. For me programming wise D* doesn't cut it yet.

I'm with you whatchel1. While there are some things about D* I like, the lack of national HD that I want, coupled with needing 2 HRs to do the job of my one 722k just makes switching to them not a good move for me.

I'm one of the few apparently that do not get swayed by cost. Being able to record 4 shows at once with the 722K will keep me at Dish, as well as more non-sports HD.

Did you call dish and tell them your going to switch and see what the customer retention dept will offer?

However if i remember correctly on the last earnings call they are only trying to keep long term customers that make sense to the bottom line.

It makes sense to switch off between the companies every 2 or 3 years to get the best deal... if the slight differences in programming and equipment don't matter to you. To me, the differences are enough to keep dish.

Wouldn't HD Extra Pack with D* be $4.99/month (unless you cancel and re-add it after each three month trial)? It would not include all of the channels in Dish Platinum. In addition, isn't HD also $10/month with D*, or is there a waived $10 fee for having autopay or/and paperless billing with them? I also remember reading a while back that it would be waived for the first two years; I am not sure if they changed those terms.

Also, it may help to tell us what programming you are absolutely wanting in your package.

I will agree that prices for television programming have gone up; we actually downgraded our programming before the last increase.

Hd is free for life for new customers with Direct with auto pay.

...but everything I see says I can save over a weeks pay by switching and get better service. Tell me where I am wrong

I guess my first question would be is, since you DO have HD, have you looked to see the differences between the 2 on which actual HD channels each has. You might be shocked to learn just how lacking D* IS now in actual HD channels. (& keep in mind I AM now a disgusted D* sub!) Right now for me, D* IS dead last in total HD channels compared to 3 other competitors available to me. (DISH, U-verse & Comcast) For myself, such glaring missing examples of HD are TCM, E!, HLN, Cooking, DIY, BBCA & Hist Int; maybe you could care less about them. But you can't switch, then sit there & complain about "all the missing HD" on D* if in fact you ARE doing your homework first. ;)

However, you do also have to consider such issues as how currently DISH only offers HD RSN's part-time - while I could care less about this, it IS a deal-breaker for others; what about yourself?

Bottom line - at the end of the day, YOU have to do these comparisons yourself & make YOUR own judgment calls as to which is the better one to go with. Unfortunately, it is harder for me to dump D*, as I have lifetime FREE DVR service & with multiple receivers, E* WOULD be way more costly for myself.

Atleast 2 HR's will do 2 rooms, FOR REAL!!

As you can see from my sig, I have a 722k and a 612. The 722k is mine and I very often record 3 or 4 events at once, hence the statement I made about needing 2 HRs to do what one 722k will do. And that is a fact. D* for some idiotic reason has limited all their HRs to 2 events at once, even when the 1st HR had a dual-OTA tuner builtin. I always thought that was one of the dumber design decisions. Of course, after I found out how dog slow they were, I started to realize why... :)

The 612 is used by my adult son. He and I have totally different ideas on just what good viewing is. His taste in TV just sucks!! :)

So if I were to consider D*, I would :
1. Have to put up about $300 in upfront money
2. Lose National HD channels that I prefer over more sports. (I'm a golf and boxing fan)
3. Have to fiddle more with 2 HRs in the place of one 722k to get the job done.
4. I would gain MRV, but with the way things are in my house, it has little value.

Sure, I would save a little in sub cost during the 1st year, after that it would be higher. Nothing significant though.