Convince me to stay with Dish / Tell me where I am wrong

One gigantic reason for me to stay with Dish is the way the 722/722K meshes with an external hard drive. I record a lot more than I can watch in an evening and love to record movies, especially now that I have Starz for a year. Only with Dish can I use the EHD and also utilize the 722/722K's hard drive. Considering the low cost of a EHD this benefit is huge.

To be fair D* can use EHD's too, but they work differently. Dish's implementation is better IMO since it augments the internal drive and is portable. D* EHD is married to the box where the recordings were made, and it replaces the internal drive. So you have to get a bigger drive for the same total recording space.

The biggest downside to D*'s method for an EHD is that it is married to the box as you note. Which means that if your HR shoots craps and you need to replace it, all your recordings will no longer be available.

To be fair D* can use EHD's too, but they work differently. Dish's implementation is better IMO since it augments the internal drive and is portable. D* EHD is married to the box where the recordings were made, and it replaces the internal drive. So you have to get a bigger drive for the same total recording space.
I think that's what I said. Unfortunately you cannot use a "E" EHD with a "D" DVR or vice versa because "E" uses a USB port and "D" uses eSATA port. bummer.

As you can see from my sig, I have a 722k and a 612. The 722k is mine and I very often record 3 or 4 events at once, hence the statement I made about needing 2 HRs to do what one 722k will do. And that is a fact. D* for some idiotic reason has limited all their HRs to 2 events at once, even when the 1st HR had a dual-OTA tuner builtin. I always thought that was one of the dumber design decisions. Of course, after I found out how dog slow they were, I started to realize why... :)
But 2 HRxx's will do more than what 1 722k will do. The 4 shows at once are limited to 2 OTA and 2 Satellite. 2 HRxx's 4 shows at once can do any combination of 4 programs, OTA or Satellite. Plus the networking, being able to watch a recorded program from any one to any other, media share, ex.

But 2 HRxx's will do more than what 1 722k will do. The 4 shows at once are limited to 2 OTA and 2 Satellite. 2 HRxx's 4 shows at once can do any combination of 4 programs, OTA or Satellite. Plus the networking, being able to watch a recorded program from any one to any other, media share, ex.

Correct, they could do all that. But it really doesn't gain anything except irritation at managing 2 HRs. And in all the time I've had my 722k, I've never needed more than 2 SAT events at any given time.

So yes, I could do it with D* equipment, but it would be more hassle, cost me more, and not get the national HD that I want. Doesn't seem to make sense, does it?

As a customer having had both setups, I like the D* (2) HR-24 setup better. The media share between both receivers (4 tuners worth) has come in handy more that I thought it would. I tried to get the most similar setup when switching. There are a few things I miss, but nothing major now that I'm used to it.

It cost me less (being a new sub). Again - research it for your own setup and see what works out.

Correct, they could do all that. But it really doesn't gain anything except irritation at managing 2 HRs. And in all the time I've had my 722k, I've never needed more than 2 SAT events at any given time.

So yes, I could do it with D* equipment, but it would be more hassle, cost me more, and not get the national HD that I want. Doesn't seem to make sense, does it?
HA HA HA!!

I needed that!.

Thats it you keep paying a satellite company to get the "OTA" you need.
Man thats funny!

With Dish , You need OTA!

I think that's what I said. Unfortunately you cannot use a "E" EHD with a "D" DVR or vice versa because "E" uses a USB port and "D" uses eSATA port. bummer.

many enclosures have both hookups, heck mine has usb/esata/firewire

you neglected to mention that to do ota the hr24 will require am21, 1 per unit

you neglected to mention that to do ota the hr24 will require am21, 1 per unit

In this case I wouldn't. The channels I use OTA for are also available via SAT with both services in HD. I just need (want) 4 event recording capability that is simple to manage and works. The 722k w/OTA module does that just fine.

HA HA HA!!

I needed that!.

Thats it you keep paying a satellite company to get the "OTA" you need.
Man thats funny!

With Dish , You need OTA!

Glad I could make your day.

With Dish I'm able to record 4 events at once with one box. With D*, you can't do it at all with one box and never could, even when they had 4 tuners.

For my viewing pleasure, the only time it comes into play always involves one or two local channels, which I could get either via SAT or OTA depending on how the other recordings are set up.

lparsons21 said:
The biggest downside to D*'s method for an EHD is that it is married to the box as you note. Which means that if your HR shoots craps and you need to replace it, all your recordings will no longer be available.

Same with E*. If you have to replace the DVR, your external recordings are also associated to the original DVR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)