Convince me to stay with Dish / Tell me where I am wrong

Same with E*. If you have to replace the DVR, your external recordings are also associated to the original DVR.

Completely incorrect sir.

I recently had to change out my 722k for a new one, all my archived recordings on the EHD were there for the new one to use and I can also use that same drive, looking at the same videos, on my 612.

You can do the Free HD life with Dish and save the $10 a month for HD. Platinum would be an extra 10.

I have looked into it and Platinum is definitely Gone! Nothing there I ever watch anyway. HD free requires a 2 year commit or $100 The two year would not be an issue if the"multiroom extender" was available and I could get HD on my third tv. I am not about to agree to a 24 month contract without this and I have had paperless billing and auto pay for years so I am also not about to pay $100 to get what new people get for free

If I could Save over $1000 for the next 2 years switching providers, I don't think I would besitting here asking questions, I 'd already be switched.:eek:

But thats just me!:)

That seems a little extreme, Are you sure about your promo prices?

I am sure about the prices Go to Direct.com and run a comparison yourself

If you have never had DirecTV you probably need to try it because the biggest impression is made on a person when you have the service for awhile.For some their happier,others not so.I am in the not so category as I returned to Dish Network for the best value for me.Good Luck!;):)

Ok What made you return to Dish? Price, Picture quality, Customer service? I am really open minded here I do not dislike dish it just looks like I can save a bunch of money with direct and get better service. I am looking for someone to tell me where I am wrong.

I'm one of the few apparently that do not get swayed by cost. Being able to record 4 shows at once with the 722K will keep me at Dish, as well as more non-sports HD.

I currently have just a VIP722 not the K version. I can appreciate what you are saying. I have an OTA antenna and I frequently record 3 at once while watching something else so I get this but with direct I could actually record more at once and view them anywhere but I would have set two dvrs.

Sometimes its like the "Bat Signal" when you see a thread like this. If you would like, I can save you the call and see what there is to be seen and do what there is to be done. Honestly, DISH Network does care about losing customers regardless of the reason. If you wouldn't mind PMing me a phone number I can get you information on getting the bill lower. Sounds to me like there is something I can do, but again I would need to look.

I have PMed you my telephone #

lparsons21 said:
Completely incorrect sir.

I recently had to change out my 722k for a new one, all my archived recordings on the EHD were there for the new one to use and I can also use that same drive, looking at the same videos, on my 612.

I stand corrected. I thought the 625 worked that way. My mistake. ?

The service I want is HD DVR service in three rooms. I am comparing Direct Choice Extra + service plan + Showtime to Dish top 200 + service plan + Showtime.

I currently have that with a 622 and 722 and my monthly bill is

59.99 top 200
10.00 Hd 200
17.00 second dvr
10.00 Dish Platinum
6.00 DVR service
6.00 Service plan
12.99 Showtime
121.98 Total

So with Dish my service will cost 121.98 x 24 for the next two years or 2927.52.

This only gets me HD on Two tvs. When and/or if Dish ever releases the multiroom extender to get Hd on TV 2 of a 922 the 922 upgrade would be $200 and I am sure the extender will be another $100 at least. In addition the 922 would be another $4.00 a month.

This would bring the total cost of HD DVR service in three rooms with Dish top 200 + service plan + Showtime to $3275.52 with Dish

With Direct It would be
65.99 Choice extra
12.00 receiver fees
7.00 Dvr srvice
3.00 Whole house DVR
12.99 Showtime
5.99 protection plan
106.97 Total

Because of new customer and refer a freind promos months:
52.97 months 1-3
65.97 months 4-10
85.97 months 11-12
90.97 months 13-24

So total cost for direct with HD DVR on three tvs with Choice extra + Showtime + service plan would be $1874.10

Now I would have a $298 equipment fee with Direct so that would bring the total to $2172.10

That is $1103.42 less Direct would cost me than Dish over the next two years and with Direct I would have HD on all three tvs now and have whole house DVR Now. With Dish I would only have Partial whole house dvr and I would not have HD on all three tvs until the multiroom extender that has been coming soon for 14 months now is finally if ever released.

I have got very used to how the dish dvrs and there remotes work and do not want to change but everything I see says I can save over a weeks pay by switching and get better service. Tell me where I am wrong,

Joe

OK Joe, Let me see if I can help you price wise. Let's say you stay with E* for 2 years and get Free HD and drop Platinum (I think you said earlier that you didn't care for it anymore) That would bring your total to 91.98/month for 24 months=$2207.52
If you switch to D*, You would pay $52.98 for the 1st 3 months, 65.98 for months 4-10, 75.98 for 11-12, and 106.98 for 13-24 =$2056.7. (Remember, your friend promo only lasts for first 10 months) So there's really only a $150 difference in this case. Since it's not much of a difference as you thought, it pretty much comes down to what features and channels you want the most. If you like using OTA and EHD on your receiver more, I say stick with E*. If you really want HD DVRs on 3 TVs with MRV, then you should switch to D*. However when you add the $298 for the secondary DVRs, total=$2354.7, more than if you stayed with E*. Almost forgot, multiroom extender is suppose to work with 722 when its released. Even if you get that for $100 total=$2307.52, still $47 less than D*. So in the end the difference is very narrow, so it's really up to what channels you watch the most and who has them in HD and if you're willing to bet if/when the extender gets released (which it should) Hope I haven't forgot anything else.

Last edited:
The service I want is HD DVR service in three rooms. I am comparing Direct Choice Extra + service plan + Showtime to Dish top 200 + service plan + Showtime.

I currently have that with a 622 and 722 and my monthly bill is

59.99 top 200
10.00 Hd 200
17.00 second dvr
10.00 Dish Platinum
6.00 DVR service
6.00 Service plan
12.99 Showtime
121.98 Total

So with Dish my service will cost 121.98 x 24 for the next two years or 2927.52.

This only gets me HD on Two tvs. When and/or if Dish ever releases the multiroom extender to get Hd on TV 2 of a 922 the 922 upgrade would be $200 and I am sure the extender will be another $100 at least. In addition the 922 would be another $4.00 a month.

This would bring the total cost of HD DVR service in three rooms with Dish top 200 + service plan + Showtime to $3275.52 with Dish

With Direct It would be
65.99 Choice extra
12.00 receiver fees
7.00 Dvr srvice
3.00 Whole house DVR
12.99 Showtime
5.99 protection plan
106.97 Total

Because of new customer and refer a freind promos months:
52.97 months 1-3
65.97 months 4-10
85.97 months 11-12
90.97 months 13-24

So total cost for direct with HD DVR on three tvs with Choice extra + Showtime + service plan would be $1874.10

Now I would have a $298 equipment fee with Direct so that would bring the total to $2172.10

That is $1103.42 less Direct would cost me than Dish over the next two years and with Direct I would have HD on all three tvs now and have whole house DVR Now. With Dish I would only have Partial whole house dvr and I would not have HD on all three tvs until the multiroom extender that has been coming soon for 14 months now is finally if ever released.

I have got very used to how the dish dvrs and there remotes work and do not want to change but everything I see says I can save over a weeks pay by switching and get better service. Tell me where I am wrong,

Joe

Joe:
I had Direct TV for the last 10 years I just parted ways with them this past December. The one thing that I am going to tell you stright out if you go with direct TV make sure they gurantee you that price for two years. Because if they don't after the first year they are going to start charging you to lease there Recievers out the price that I was paying was 5.00 per reciever (NON HD), and 7.00 for my (HD DVR Recever) also your local channels do not come with there package the Cost is 5.00 per month for (FOX, NBC, CBS, and ABC only) Direct TV may not offer the CW or MY network in your area. If you want your locals in HD add another 1.00 per month on. Don't get me wrong I loved Direct TV however, there are a lot of hidden costs.

Joe:
I had Direct TV for the last 10 years I just parted ways with them this past December. The one thing that I am going to tell you stright out if you go with direct TV make sure they gurantee you that price for two years. Because if they don't after the first year they are going to start charging you to lease there Recievers out the price that I was paying was 5.00 per reciever (NON HD), and 7.00 for my (HD DVR Recever) also your local channels do not come with there package the Cost is 5.00 per month for (FOX, NBC, CBS, and ABC only) Direct TV may not offer the CW or MY network in your area. If you want your locals in HD add another 1.00 per month on. Don't get me wrong I loved Direct TV however, there are a lot of hidden costs.

Sorry Hoss but there are lots of errors in that post
-extra receivers are $6 (use to be $5) regardless if they are HD, SD or DVR. DVR's have a $7 DVR fee on the account (doesnt matter how many DVR's you have)
-On the current packages you are charged a lease fee for receivers beyond the 1st. You might have had an old package with the package and DVR fee rolled into one.
-Locals are $3. If locals are not available the packages are $3 less. Otherwise the price you see on the site is what it is with locals
-Locals in HD are included if available. There is no extra cost for them
-As for the CW & My, in most cases they are carried if available. In some markets they are subchannels and may not be carried. But in markets where the CW isnt available you do get CW Washington DC or CW San Diego (depending on time zone)

Update

Well in the end I stayed with Dish and will be happy with that decision so long as Dish comes threw and delivers on the "Multiroom Extender" in the next 6 months.

Among my reasons for staying in order of importance.
1) I did not want to have to manage multiple DVRs with Direct. With the 922 I can record 4 shows at once even though 2 will be OTA. With Directs Whole house DVR I could do this but I would have to program two different dvrs. Now if Direct would have it to where with multiple dvrs you could just program one and if they were no tuners available in one it would just roll over to the next available tuner on any unit on the whole house network I would have likely jumped ship.
2) Even if you bought the OTA module for the direct boxes you were still limited to recording 2 shows at once on any given DVR
3) Learning remotes. I have an obscure sound bar on my bedroom TV. With the 722 and 922 remote I was able to teach the dish remote from my sound bar remote. There were no codes or learning for it with Direct. I was so thinking about switching that I even went so far as I bought a hr24 remote of of eBay and tried to program it to my sound bar.

In the end I now have a 922 and a 612 to replace my 722 and 622 which strangely cost me $3 a month less and now have free HD for life

I personally think that was a good decision. You should be happy with that. And sounds like you already are. Best of luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)