Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 19, 2005
South of Buffalo NY
Coolsat 4000 Pro 1.3 Firmware:
A First Look

By W. Tracy Parnell

When a new firmware upgrade is released it is always of interest to the FTA community. Coolsat has just released version 1.3 for their popular 4000 Pro receiver. I may be selling my Coolsat soon, so I thought I would see if this firmware could make me change my mind. But first things first. In order to complete the upgrade you will need:

1. The RS-232 data cable that was supplied at purchase.
2. The loader software ( http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=74253&highlight=coolsat+firmware ).
3. The firmware itself (available at http://www.coolsatusa.com/support.htm ). BTW, the file you want is dated 8.03.05 and referred to as "Coolsat Card Reader Firmware for PRO and PLUS Models".

Upgrading is easy. Just follow the instructions on the Coolsat website (although they fail to mention the loader). You can have the loader auto-detect the port and begin the download to the receiver. Be sure to wait until the unit reboots indicating the process is complete. In my experience, the loader did nothing after the status bar reached 100% so just watch the receiver and when it reboots close the loader.

Unfortunately, the biggest news is what is not here-AC3 support. However, the digital coaxial connection will pass stereo to a connected audio receiver (this may have been true before the upgrade too-didn’t try it). So, with the bad news out of the way, let’s see what IS here.

The highlights of the new firmware:

1. The symbol rate now is shown after the frequency the second time you hit the “Info” button (Image 1). This is a major improvement since to find the SR for a channel previously you had to go to the “Manual Scan” or “PID Scan” screens.
2. The icons to the left of the menu items on the “Main Menu” (Image 2) now blink (they don’t do anything else that I can see).
3. When using the “Channel List” the up and down arrows navigate through the list much faster. Very nice improvement.
4. When you hit the “Sat” button the list now shows the orbital location (93 W etc.) for each satellite (Image 3). A nice touch.
5. Someone at Coolsat must read this forum because one of the most suggested improvements has been implemented. Now when you switch satellites the screen displays “Moving Positioner” and then shows a bar graph with a green line moving from left to right to indicate the progress made (Image 4). This graph only indicates that the positioner is moving and is not meant to be a representation of how much time is remaining in the current move. For example, during a move from IA6 to AMC 5 the color bar will never get “full”. Going to G10R from the eastern-most satellites will cause the bar to fill up several times before reaching its destination. But at least you know when the positioner is moving and when it is not. A major improvement and kudos to Coolsat for listening to the FTA community and implementing this much-needed feature!

Last but not least, Coolsat has again listened to the FTA community and implemented an improved “Blind Scan” albeit with mixed results in my admittedly preliminary tests (Image 5). The changes:

1. You can now set a frequency range for blind scans by simply inputting the low and high values. For example, on AMC 5 you can use the known low and high values according to Lyngsat of 11742 and 12182 if you want to.
2. You have the following options under “Symbol Rate”; 3.5 M and over, 3.5 M and under, 7.5 M over and under, Full and Detail.
3. Under “Pol” (polarity) the options are; All, V and H.
4. “Mode” shows the choices; TV, All, Free.

All of this sounds great at first and it certainly can yield good results. I ran a “Blind Scan” on AMC 5 with all options on (all frequencies on, Mode-All, Pol-All, SR-Full) and got a time of 6 minutes and 30 seconds-not bad. I then limited my search by setting the frequencies to 11742/12182 and SR to “7.5 under”. This time I came in at a blindingly fast 1 minute and 20 seconds! I then further limited my search by setting the SR to “3.5 under” and assumed a faster speed would be forthcoming. Wrong! This time I crawled home at a disappointing 6 minutes and 50 seconds-even worse than with all options on.

Add this to the fact that the “3.5 under” setting fails to really find anything since the most common low SR is 3978 and it would seem that Coolsat failed to think about the frequency ranges that would be most useful to end users (4.0 M and under would make more sense) and used arbitrary numbers for the ranges. Still, the “7.5 under” scan was very fast and would probably find most new transponders on AMC 5 since its feeds often have a 3978 SR. With a lot of experimentation this new feature could prove very useful in spite of some flaws.

The firmware changes as they relate to scanning are a mixed bag though. “Auto Scan” appears unchanged but it is actually worse, at least on the satellite I tested-AMC 5. With the old firmware, an “Auto Scan” with parameters of “Free” and “Network” yielded a time of 2 minutes scanning 38 transponders. The new “Auto Scan” with the same settings and number of transponders came in at a pokey 3 minutes and 45 seconds. This is disappointing since the old “Auto Scan” was quite fast on some satellites. Once I ran a scan between commercials when my local-affiliate WIVB in Buffalo had their sports anchor reporting live from Bills training camp. I had found him on AMC 5 the previous day so I reasoned he might be there again but on what transponder? “Auto Scan” came through scanning in 2 minutes and logging in the name “WIVB Truck”. Of course, your results with different satellites may vary.

In conclusion, each individual will have to decide if the changes are worth the time it takes to download, install, and learn to use. I am staying with the Pansat 3500s as my primary unit for now mainly because of the AC3. But those using the Coolsat will have a decision to make which will no doubt be made easier by their own experiences and future reports from the members here at Satellite Guys.

Update 1:

The subtitle of my review is "A First Look" and after a second look I have some additions to make. Following discussions here at the Forum with "Isat" it has become clear to me that by using the following settings you can "Blind Scan" most (if not all) satellites in 5 minutes or less:

Frequency Range-11700-12200
SR-Full
Pol-All
Mode-Free

I just tried AMC 9 which is a bird that seems to take longer than most-it came in at 3 minutes with the above settings. My favorite sat IA6 came in at 4 minutes.
This means that I can scan my 5 favorite satellites in well under a half-hour.

So to conclude, my criticisms of the "Auto Scan" mode and the somewhat arbitrary symbol rate parameters seem to be rendered moot by the power of the new "Blind Scan". I don't believe that the usefulness of this feature can be overstated. The major players in the FTA receiver wars need to take note and add this great feature.

Update 2:

It appears that the new firmware DOES provide at least partial support for AC3. Thanks to "Isat" for pointing this out (see discussion below). :hatsoff:

Update 3:

They have also added a Hex/Decimal Calclator on the "System Settings" menu. Thanks to Dave Rinker for pointing this out. :hatsoff:

Update 4:

After using the Coolsat for a while I am in love with the new features and have decided to use it as my main unit and sell the Pansat.

Update 5:

A bug in the new firmware is the "Positioner Moving" graphic stays on too long and at inappropriate times. Thanks to Cascade who was the first to mention this. :hatsoff:

Attachments

• Image 1.jpg
    Image 1.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 906
  • Image 2.jpg
    Image 2.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 780
  • Image 3.jpg
    Image 3.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 829
  • Image 4.jpg
    Image 4.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 788
  • Image 5.jpg
    Image 5.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 790
Nice review!! Greatly appreciated here. :)

Wonder if you could check one thing, I notice you are using a universal lnbf, if you tell the receiver you have a standard (10750) lnbf, does the scan range change to 11700-12200? Could you scan, say SBS6 using the 11700-12000 range, full SR range, and report the scan time back. Thanks again.

Went into the menus and "Standard" wasn't listed as an option (not sure why-maybe someone else knows). Still being pretty new to all this I didn't want to mess around too much, but I changed it to "Single" and went to "Blind Scan" and the frequency range was different (3400-4200) so I would say it should do the same thing for all LNB types.

lsat said:

Wonder if you could check one thing, I notice you are using a universal lnbf, if you tell the receiver you have a standard (10750) lnbf, does the scan range change to 11700-12200? Could you scan, say SBS6 using the 11700-12000 range, full SR range, and report the scan time back. Thanks again.

If you are using a universal, you probably can’t change the LO

Can you say frequencies 11.7-12.2?

My guess would be standard (or single as you say) then set the LO to 10750.

W_Tracy_Parnell said:
Went into the menus and "Standard" wasn't listed as an option (not sure why-maybe someone else knows). Still being pretty new to all this I didn't want to mess around too much, but I changed it to "Single" and went to "Blind Scan" and the frequency range was different (3400-4200) so I would say it should do the same thing for all LNB types.

SBS 6
Invacom LNB

Scan range-11700-12000
SR-Full
Mode-Free
Pol-All

2 minutes and 30 seconds.

lsat said:

The range with a universial is 10700-12750 and any combination in between. It doesn't "remember" the frequency after scanning even if you stay on the "Blind Scan" page so you have to re-enter the numbers everytime.

Iceberg said:
If you are using a universal, you probably can’t change the LO

Can you say frequencies 11.7-12.2?

That's impressive, assuming it actually finds the services. :) Was that time for the full range of 11700-12200, not 12000 as you typed?

W_Tracy_Parnell said:
SBS 6
Invacom LNB

Scan range-11700-12000
SR-Full
Mode-Free
Pol-All

2 minutes and 30 seconds.

lsat said:
That's impressive, assuming it actually finds the services. :) Was that time for the full range of 11700-12200, not 12000 as you typed?

No, it was for 11700-12000.

I rescanned:

11700-12200
2 minutes and 55 seconds
12 channels found.

I just want to add that I didn't make a big deal out of this in my review (actually just dawned on me), but you now have the option during "Blind Scan" of FTA only! No more deleteing scrambled channels after every scan.

BTW for Cascade,

You said you didn't like the firmware. What don't you like about it? The only thing I have found is the slower "Auto Scan" I mentioned in the review. But with a customizable "Blind Scan" it may not make a difference.

The "Moving positioner" graphic doesn't disappear while scanning for one.
I haven't messed with it too much but it doesn't seem any different than the first release to me.

Cascade said:
The "Moving positioner" graphic doesn't disappear while scanning for one.
I haven't messed with it too much but it doesn't seem any different than the first release to me.

Thanks for the reply. Didn't think about that but I guess you're right. My opinion-if they took he best features of the Coolsat and the 3500 and put it into one unit they would have a great receiver. Seems we are making progress though because someone is listening to a certain extent at least.

How did you get your entry for SBS6 to show the 74E at the beginning? I edited a blank one, and it still says 0.0 at the beginning of it.

timmy1376 said:
How did you get your entry for SBS6 to show the 74E at the beginning? I edited a blank one, and it still says 0.0 at the beginning of it.

I had previously entered all the sats that I could see here so it must done it on its own. I wondered if they had updated the list to include more birds. Is SBS6 still missing then?

Thanks again for the info. My mistake earlier asking about the scan time from 11700 to 12000, I meant 12200. Exactly the info I was looking for.

My receiver should be here this afternoon. :hatsoff:

lsat said:
Thanks again for the info. My mistake earlier asking about the scan time from 11700 to 12000, I meant 12200. Exactly the info I was looking for.

My receiver should be here this afternoon. :hatsoff:

You'tr welcome, and thank you for leading me to a better way to use the new scan features. Sad part is that I have to sell my Coolsat now-can't afford to keep both. :( And since I bought a new audio receiver for AC3 it wouldn't make sense not to use the Pansat. Hoping for a Pansat firmware update that adds features similar to the Coolsat for blind scanning.

Good job on the review!

You left out that they added a hex/decimal calculator. Also, I saw that weaker channels now lock that previously did not using the old firmware. I love that they fixed the positioner message. I am happy with the upgrade and highly recommend it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.