Status
Please reply by conversation.

JerryK

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 25, 2005
Hi All,
My title says it all, really. I have a 4dtv (dsr922) with my new CS5000 slaved to it. The FTA box came with a 4port DS switch. I plugged Cband in port 1 and Ku in port2 and could only scan for Cband channels.

Telling the CS5000 to use port2 (they call it "commited") never gets anything.

I switched the wires so KU was on port 1 and now KU works -- but no Cband.

So I've proved my Switch is busted, or my CS5000 can't deal with the 4port switch.

I welcome any thoughts you guys may have.
Thanks,
Jerry

It sounds to me like it's the splitter. Are you using a good "High Frequency" splitter? When I 1st got into this stuff, I used 2 splitters rated at 5-900MHz (from Rat Shack) and it would only work on one side at a time. It would not pass the signal through both sides of the splitter. If I had the 4dtv on a C-band channel the DVB would not work on the C-band side, but would work with the ku-band side. On the other hand, if I had the 4dtv on a ku channel, the DVB wouldn't work on the ku side, but would work with the C-band side. Once I got some "High Frequency" splitters, rated at 5-2300MHz, the 4dtv could be on either the C or the ku (didn't matter) and the DVB would work on either the C or the ku. As it was now passing a signal through both sides. But, it could still be your diseqc switch. I'm just relating a problem I had. And when I had this problem, I didn't know what a diseqc switch was. I used an A/B switch. Hope this info helps. Good Luck!

Al

Thanks guys,
I was careful to get the 2ghz splitter... I think the problem is in my Diseqc.
I plugged the KU directly from the splitter to the CS5000 and it worked.

New question... my CS5000 lets me pick Diseqc "port" 1,2,3, or 4....but is that guaranteed to match the ports labeled 1-4 on the diseqc? Is there any chance the diseqc#2 actually matches CS5000 port selection 3 or 4?

Thanks...must be the switch.

What's a good brand/vendor for a reliable one?

Thanks guys, that leaves me with one last question (I don't want to start a new thread unless I have to).

Let's say I get a Disecqc that WORKS and connect it to my CS5000, then build a channel list of C and KU. (by scanning the C side, then changing the "dish seup" and scanning the KU side)

When I'm watching TV and jump from a C channel to a KU channel, will the CS5000 use the proper Diseqc channel (1 or 2), or do I have to go into "dish setup" and select the proper Diseqc input line? My wife will hate this if required.

It will be done in the setup menu of the Coolsat. For example, if you have AMC3 C-band programmed to get the Tube music channel, in the setup it will be set for L.O. 5150 which is C-band. And then you will have AMC3 ku-band setup as a separate satellite so you can watch the PBS mux on it. The L.O. will be set at 10750 for this sat, so you will really have 2 sats programmed, one for C-band and one for ku-band. And the diseqc will be set in the menu as, let's say port 1 for C-band (LO-5150) and port 2 for ku-band (LO-10750) (or however you decide to do it). At any rate that part shouldn't be a problem for your wife or you.

Al

I suggest finding yourself a Chefta Heavy Duty DiSEqC switch. I went through about 10 of the cheap ones (DMSI included) before I bought these. Works good, and sealed very well.

Out of the other ones, DMSI lasted the longest until the case back rusted and leaked. This took out my reciever....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)