CoolSat 5000, 6000 and Mercury II

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Babadem

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 21, 2007
MA
Considering the prices for the CoolSat 5000, 6000 and the Mercury II have dropped drastically lately and they are known to be good boxes for Blind Scanning, based on your experience which one is the best at finding channels when you blind scan? I would also like to know which of them is the most user friendly. I need to get a very reliable receiver to use when aiming my dish.

Of the 3 I only have the Merc., and it really makes my aiming easy. I took a Fortec 5400NA and the Geosat dvr out and tried to get aimed and it took way to long, so I quit and came back with the merc 2 weeks later, Had it aimed in in less than 5 minutes. But that is the one I am used to.

Coolsat 5000 & 6000 are pretty much the same box. I prefer the 5000 over the Merc II (and I own both)

issue with the Coolsats is the meter sucks rocks......
63 is threshold
85 is max (some it goes to 97)
most read between 70-75 which on a box that goes from 30 threshold to 99 that 70 could read 45 or could read 70

for blind scan I like the 5000 overt the merc. Much faster and more accurate

Thanks Guys!! I will be looking to get the CoolSat 5000!!!!:up

Coolsat 5000 & 6000 are pretty much the same box. I prefer the 5000 over the Merc II (and I own both)

issue with the Coolsats is the meter sucks rocks......
63 is threshold
85 is max (some it goes to 97)
most read between 70-75 which on a box that goes from 30 threshold to 99 that 70 could read 45 or could read 70

for blind scan I like the 5000 overt the merc. Much faster and more accurate

I don't know why y'all don't like the Coolsat's meter....I like it better than any receiver I've tried!

Its simple. If you know what threshold is, whats the problem? Threshold on my 5000's is 58/60 depending on FEC. Its pretty stable, I have never had an issue using it to aim. :confused:

The Mercury I had, was a mess trying to use to aim. It was so slow to react that aiming a dish was an exercise in frustration because it reacted so slowly. Brian from SatAv has said that the Mercury's meter is more meaningful than the Coolsat's, be that as it may, I found it maddening to use.

To the OP: The Coolsat will allow you to use Channelmaster software to edit satellites/channels. That alone makes it a slam dunk over the Mercury for this Cajun. :D

stogie

I guess I was use to a Pansat which goes from 10-99 and threshold is 30 you get use to it. The Pansat 1500 is still used to aim the dishes here. Blind scan is slow as hell (heck if you scan C-Band you can down a 6 pack before its done scanning) but the meter I am so use to.

I am one who yeah sure the Pansat meter may show 45 but if I nudge it a 1/8" the meter goes to 60 and is stable...the Coolsat would stay around 69 and not move

The 8000 meter I hate...it likes 99 for some reason. When I tried to motorize the 8000 the meter would stay at 99 if I was on the "sweet spot" or one click east or west of it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)