Will B U D pick up better ku signals

Status
Please reply by conversation.

smudge

Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
I'm a super newbie with a question. I have an 8' mesh B U D w/a 30volt acuator I understand this can be fitted w/a ku lnbf and if I change the actuator to a 36 volt one it can be driven through a converter box from diseq 1.2 commands from a set top box. I plan on getting one w/ blind scan feature. Will this setup be as functional as a new 3 meter dish and motor setup. The cost to do either setup would be about the same. Will the B U D give me better reception or am I waisting my time and would I be better off scrapping out the B U D. Any light anyone can shed on me will be greatly appreciated.

smudge

I'm a super newbie with a question. I have an 8' mesh B U D w/a 30volt acuator I understand this can be fitted w/a ku lnbf and if I change the actuator to a 36 volt one it can be driven through a converter box from diseq 1.2 commands from a set top box. I plan on getting one w/ blind scan feature. Will this setup be as functional as a new 3 meter dish and motor setup. The cost to do either setup would be about the same. Will the B U D give me better reception or am I waisting my time and would I be better off scrapping out the B U D. Any light anyone can shed on me will be greatly appreciated.

smudge

Are you trying to compare a retrofit of a 8' dish to one of the 3' smaller dishes/motor setups (or do you truly mean a "new 3 meter dish and motor setup").

I think the 8 foot dish will be fine if the mesh size is proper for ku-band reception. You need to reaim the dish for Ku-band and the get a VBOX positioner to interface with the FTA box for the mover and either use an old c-band receiver for polarity or get a FTA receiver with servo control built in. I like the idea of a well aligned 8' dish as you can separate out sats at 2 deg spacing - some with the smaller 75-90cm dishes have a tough time, as witnessed by the AMC-21 thread in the main FTA area of this site.
I also like you have more signal margin to help with rain fade issues - when a 90cm goes out due to rainfade, chances are your 8' is still able to receive the signal unless the rain is so hard or cloudcover so thick that your margin on the 8' dish is also gone.

My friend has a 10' c/ku dish - I got him into FTA with a VBOX and a Pansat 3500SD (has the servo control built in). It's nice for him as he can punch in a satellite or service and the VBOX interfaces with the receiver to go to that sat and the 3500SD controls the polarity he wants so it's pretty integrated for him with just a few keystrokes into the 3500SD receiver. For instance, he doesn't have to figure out where he wants to go, tell his Uniden C-band analog receiver to move there, tell his Uniden C-band analog receiver the polarity he wants, and then tune it with the FTA receiver after the Uniden has done its job of controlling the dish to the bird and polarity desired.

I was about to jump up 'n down about the three meter crack :eek:
... I don't know anybody who needs three meters on Ku band.... :rolleyes:
But SkySurfer properly interpreted it as three feet, so that's one down.

As to the changing the motor, you don't have to. :eureka

Beyond that, I'll agree with everything SkySurfer proposed, right down to the Pansat 3500sd.
Sounds like an easy solution to me. :up

Thanks Skysurfer yes I meant a 90cm dish. At this point I have 2 options either get a new 90cm dish /motor setup and a S T B to go with. or retrofit my *' B U D. The V box I saw has a 36v output my current actuator requires 30 volts so I figured Id have to replace it. You mentioned mesh size how can I tell what size I have and wether or not it will work w/ku band. There are 2 other variables I should mention the B U D is 60 ft from the reciever whereas the new dish/motor setup would be mounted on a 1 1/2" pipe from a previous dish network setup 100ft from the reciever useing the previous installed co ax.Also are there any c band f t a signals worth picking up to make it worth getting a c/ku lnbf.

thanks Smudge

For me, C Band is where it's at. Most HD Sports and HD Networks are on C Band.
If you can swing it, get your BUD running and setup a Motorized Ku Dish.

Lak7 when I looked on the c/band channel chart almost evrything I saw was only available w/subscription service I dont want subscription service I also dont want to set up something that has to be continually adjusted thats why the 90cm /motor setup looked apealing with a S T B w/blind scan you dont have to worry about skew just set due south find the ku/band belt and let it rip or have I missed something. With a S T B w/blind scan running through a v box wont the B U D search and find available sats?

thanks Smudge

I am talking about Live Sports and the Major Network feeds, for High Def, C Band is where it's at. That's why I would tell you get get both Dishes. You can get a Voltage Controlled C Band LNBF so you wouldn't have to worry about skew, just like a Ku Dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)