Coolsat 5000 Card Reader

Status
Please reply by conversation.

706Tom

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
North Georgia
I recently bought a Coolsat 5000 plat receiver without a card reader. What is the purpose of the card reader and why would someone need it for FTA?

Last edited:
if i could say this it was probably used for illegal purposes .i had 1 it the coolsat 6000,i bought at a garage sale for $20.00 i took it out and installed the factory flash it works well now for g18 .
i dont know what people see in stealing .weather its stealing 1 candy to stealing from providers .stealing is stealing !i beleve some fta sattelite recievers comes with a card reader .

Last edited:
there are several providers of subscription TV that have cards available to be used with an FTA system to allow legitimate Subscription TV. You do not need a card reader to steal encrypted signals.

In short, the card reader is not for FTA. It is for legal subscription service.

but most subscription providers (like Globecast) will only allow you to use thier box for subbing :(

There was some discussion a few months ago, about TAN TV.
It's an Asian subscription service, available here in North America.
I just can't remember which language(s) it was for. Laotian? Korean? Cambodian?
Anyway, it came to light that the Visionsat's card reader could support their legit subscription cards.

The other possibility is, that since these same receivers are sold world wide (?), the card slot might be useful in other countries.

I'd always had the same question about the card slot.

i think there are a lot of receivers here in the us that have the access slot but if you look no reader installed. I know they are used widely in europe kinda like a pay by the month cell phone. so you could pop into your local wal-mart ( or whatever) and buy a card and insert it and have services ( i'm sure after a short activation call.... )

used to be we could say the usa was on the cutting edge of the tech market but now every other country is ahead of us in this aspect. i guess thats what you get when you have a proprietary products in a monopoly based Society.

example
we pay for our land based telephone only to have telemarketers call us .... on our phone and we have to tell them not to call...... this should be reversed and the companies & corperations should provide us with free home services and then let the telemarketers ( within reasonable limits) call. no currently i have sign up on a do not call list for something i pay for....! :eek:

another is like satellite tv
you pay for satellite service and have to endure tv commercials. shouldn't commericialized tv be free why then are the rates so high ? should only be paying a small fee for the satellite compnies to provide us commericial tv

another is DVD's you buy you pay $20 for a DVD only to watch several commercials of other movies .... we pay for it give us a choice put the movie commercials at the end of the movie ... or give me a cut rate on buying the DVD.

down of my soapbox :)
my point was we in north america have fallen behind the rest of the world and the card slots are used for several reasons.

I wish the subscription services would let you use your own receiver instead of forcing you to use their box :( I think in Europe they let you do that.. but not in our neck of the woods!

so the deal with folks like Globecast forcing their boxes down your throat... do they program the card such that it won't work unless inserted into a specific receiver? because it seems quite a few receivers claim to support Conax, Nagravision, etc.. so why wouldn't an active card work when inserted into a 3rd party receiver?

Do they program the card such that it won't work unless inserted into a specific receiver?

I know with Dish Network if I take the card from one receiver and put it into another receiver on the same account it does not work.
So if you take the card to a FTA receiver with a card slot, the card will not recognize the receiver and it will not authorize the FTA receiver.

Globecast uses nagravision cards.

Nagravision cards are married to the serial number of the receiver they are installed in.
They won't work in any other.
That's just a level of control they provide (demand).
(...and you can see how well that works!...) - :eek:

Other subscription cards are happy to run in any box that supports them, such as all the European TV cards, and whatever the TAN TV system uses here.

There are PCi receiver cards with a user-subscription-card-slot.
I presume you could then install one of those PCi cards into your computer, and record the subscription shows.
But again, not from any -major- providers here in North America.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)