Coolsat 5000 with Prime Focus Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

yardie0

Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
I have a motorized FTA setup with two coolsats (4000 and 5000). I would like to pick up the channel Sportmax on Intelsat 707 at 53W. I am planning to get a 150cm PrimeFocus dish with a C-band LNB but I am not sure how this would work on the coolsat 5000 when changing polarity. I have been reading and it seems like a C-Band receiver does this by operating a servo motor however the FTA receiver changes polarity on an Offset dish without any additional hardware. Would I need a sevo motor, or is ther an LNB that can do this without a servo motor?
Oh my location is Mississauga, Ontario, Canada (43.6N 79.3W)

yardie0 said:
I have a motorized FTA setup with two coolsats (4000 and 5000). I would like to pick up the channel Sportmax on Intelsat 707 at 53W. I am planning to get a 150cm PrimeFocus dish with a C-band LNB but I am not sure how this would work on the coolsat 5000 when changing polarity. I have been reading and it seems like a C-Band receiver does this by operating a servo motor however the FTA receiver changes polarity on an Offset dish without any additional hardware. Would I need a sevo motor, or is ther an LNB that can do this without a servo motor?
Oh my location is Mississauga, Ontario, Canada (43.6N 79.3W)

Get a C band LNBF . It will do voltage switching for polarity changing , just like the little Bu band LNBF's used on the small dishes ..

That is , if your receiver does not have the connections for the polorotor used on the traditional C band frrdhorn , LNB & polorotor . Some / most of the Pansats have this connection .

Wyr

WyrTwister said:
Get a C band LNBF . It will do voltage switching for polarity changing , just like the little Bu band LNBF's used on the small dishes ..
That is , if your receiver does not have the connections for the polorotor used on the traditional C band frrdhorn , LNB & polorotor . Some / most of the Pansats have this connection .
Wyr
I looked at pictures on the back of a pansat and i noticed that it has a pair of 5V connections. i assume that this is the polorotor connection you are referring to. The coolsat does not have this connection. Can a regular feedhorn like Item #3570011 at skyvision.com work?

I'd pickup a ASC421 from your favorite DMSi dealer. It's voltage switched and a low temp LNBF. I have one and found it's performance it be quite nice.

The Pansat will control a polarotor. I bought my 1st Pansat for just that reason. If you aren't going to buy a C/Ku feedhorn + LNBs I'd stick with a voltage switched C-Band LNBF. It will be MUCH cheaper.

yardie0 said:
I looked at pictures on the back of a pansat and i noticed that it has a pair of 5V connections. i assume that this is the polorotor connection you are referring to. The coolsat does not have this connection. Can a regular feedhorn like Item #3570011 at skyvision.com work?

Yes , those are the connections for the polorotor on the feedhorn in the picture , on the Pansat .

Can not remember hearing of any way to get the CoolSat to control the polorotor , directly .

What I have done is slave the DVB-S receiver to an analog C band receiver & use it to control polarity . Just switch from an od to an even channel on it , when you want to change polarity .

Make up a pair of sats in the DVB-S menue , label one something like IA 5 H & the other IA 5 V . Scan each one independantly , like they were different sats .

Or buy a C band LNBF .

Wyr

Attachments

• C-Band_with_Polorotor.jpg
    C-Band_with_Polorotor.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 217
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)