Coolsat 5k question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

SATisfied

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
Lineboro, MD
Does the Coolsat 5000 have a multisat scan capability? I just assumed that it did, but never considered trying to. I was looking in the scan menu's and didn't find any for multisat scan. I know my old Captiveworks cw600s had it. Even if it doesn't , I wouldn't give up the blind scanning in exchange for multisat scanning.

I was wondering if that function could be added with a software update, or if it would have to be built in the hardware.

are you talking about blind scan or just auto scan?

Blind scan I do that all the time. Set it to scan say 85,87,89,91 and it will scan 85 then move to 87 etc

The only drawback is sometimes the scan starts before the dish stops moving to the new sat

are you talking about blind scan or just auto scan?

Blind scan I do that all the time. Set it to scan say 85,87,89,91 and it will scan 85 then move to 87 etc

The only drawback is sometimes the scan starts before the dish stops moving to the new sat

Ok....thanks, Ice. I have to play with it some to figure out how to do that. I was thinking it couldn't be done on the Coolsat 5000. I was mainly talking about the auto scan, but it doesn't matter to me if it's blind scan or auto scan. I didn't see anything in the menu about multi-sat scanning. At least now I know it can be done.

go to blind scan
select the sats you want to blind scan
hit OK

now I know on factory software (1.00) the scan starts before the dish finished moving. On the aftermarket (3rd party factory) stuff it might work properly...havent tried it

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but since my question is related to "how to" on the coolsat 5K, I would ask this question. How does one activate the Closed Caption on the coolsat 5K? I'm using 3rd party firmware Ver. 004 from here!

go to blind scan
select the sats you want to blind scan
hit OK

now I know on factory software (1.00) the scan starts before the dish finished moving. On the aftermarket (3rd party factory) stuff it might work properly...havent tried it

interesting...

so you have to hit ok on all the diff sats you wanna check? then ok again to scan. didnt know that was possible.... gonna have to try it out...

assume its the same as the cs6000, but i do have a couple cs5000's in the closet I could try

yep beano

I always scan 72, 74 & 79 at once or 85,87,89,91 sometimes when looking for stuff. Scans the 1st sat, then goes to the 2nd and starts over

very cool... I just tried it out, and it works :up BIG THX for the info guys!

cant believe I've had this unit for over 3 years, and I didnt know about this feature before... :confused:

it seems to be waiting before it gets to the next sat before it starts blind scanning. and im using the factory 100 bin. when it auto moves to the next sat its kinda slow... but thats ok.

interesting....I have version 1.00 on my 5000 and when I scan 72 & 74 I'll get dupes on 74 if 72 has some news feeds right away on the Vertical side.

But yeah its nice to set it for 2 or 3 sats and let it do its thing.

I have both the CW800 and the CS5K. Thanks Iceberg. I did not know that the 5K could do that until I read it here. I suspect that, like the CW800, it was assumed that one switches between satelites with a diseq switch in a multi-dish situation rather than using a motor on one dish. Therefore there is no inherit time delay to allow your motor to move the dish between satelites.

interesting....I have version 1.00 on my 5000 and when I scan 72 & 74 I'll get dupes on 74 if 72 has some news feeds right away on the Vertical side.

But yeah its nice to set it for 2 or 3 sats and let it do its thing.

I have been setting to scan all the sats I wanna check... then just come back in 20 - 30 mins :)

for example... for me when the dish moves from 72 to 74, the dish only actually moves for 2 seconds, but the screen on the stb shows moving for like 30 seconds then it starts scanning.

I have both the CW800 and the CS5K. Thanks Iceberg. I did not know that the 5K could do that until I read it here. I suspect that, like the CW800, it was assumed that one switches between satelites with a diseq switch in a multi-dish situation rather than using a motor on one dish. Therefore there is no inherit time delay to allow your motor to move the dish between satelites.

It makes me wonder how many other functions this stb is capable of that I am in the dark about....it would be nice to able to access a pdf owner's manual on the Coolsat 5k. I didn't get one with mine when I bought it on ebay. I'll have to check the stickies and see if it's been posted on there.

ok so the 6000 at least waits. The 5000 doesn't :(
I might have to load that 3rd party factory stuff that fixes that issue

you dont have a cs6000 iceberg?

you want one?... I see them for sale on Saskatoon kijiji(same as ebay, but its just local)

and I just happen to have a spare in the closet..

we dont live too far apart... dont think the shipping would be too much

nah. The 5000 & 6000 are pretty much the same. I think the original reason for the 6K was "better EPG"...oh boy. Those chinese stations on 97W I can see a guide to ;)

There is a 3rd party "factory" software I could load into it to fix that issue (it would wait 15 seconds between scanning sats) but we'll see...had this one since 05 I think and it works great so why ruin it ;)

I'm in the states (Minnesota) so I know crossing the border it costs a little more

nah. The 5000 & 6000 are pretty much the same. I think the original reason for the 6K was "better EPG"...oh boy. Those chinese stations on 97W I can see a guide to ;)

There is a 3rd party "factory" software I could load into it to fix that issue (it would wait 15 seconds between scanning sats) but we'll see...had this one since 05 I think and it works great so why ruin it ;)

I'm in the states (Minnesota) so I know crossing the border it costs a little more

ok cool..

I've tried that other fw before, but cant remember the website. I did like it. is that the one that only goes to 82% signal Q?

border only charges about 10% duty of the estimated value of the item shipped. I've got a bunch of stuff from the US.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)