Coolsat 8100 HD problem

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

techno935

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 27, 2006
Pompano Beach, FL
I hate to make a dupe, but I'm desperate for answers.

My CS8100 HD has decided it doesn't like a particular channel. I tried to re-scan for the DTV transition and when it went to WSFL-DT, it decided to re-boot upon the moment it scans in. I've tried outdated hackware to see if it fixes the problem and no luck. I also wiped it with the "clear software" program and then re-loaded factory software. No luck. If I can't record this channel, there's no point in having this receiver. I'm really irritated.

I called the engineer over there and told him about it and asked if anything changed in the stream and he said no. SO....not sure what is going on here.

If this is something similar to the problem with Voom receivers and CBS owned stations, I'm gonna be really upset.

This scenario is different though.
Coolsat receiver taking in a Tribune owned TV station. Does anyone have a Tribune owned station and a Coolsat 8100 HD to test?

pro96 has a 8000 and if I remember right, he's in the LA area so KTLA is Tribune owned

nothing here in Mpls is Tribune owned

I hate to make a dupe, but I'm desperate for answers.

My CS8100 HD has decided it doesn't like a particular channel. I tried to re-scan for the DTV transition and when it went to WSFL-DT, it decided to re-boot upon the moment it scans in. I've tried outdated hackware to see if it fixes the problem and no luck. I also wiped it with the "clear software" program and then re-loaded factory software. No luck. If I can't record this channel, there's no point in having this receiver. I'm really irritated.

I called the engineer over there and told him about it and asked if anything changed in the stream and he said no. SO....not sure what is going on here.

If this is something similar to the problem with Voom receivers and CBS owned stations, I'm gonna be really upset.

This scenario is different though.
Coolsat receiver taking in a Tribune owned TV station. Does anyone have a Tribune owned station and a Coolsat 8100 HD to test?

I assume that you tried doing a manual scan of just that channel, instead of the auto-scan?
If so, what were the S/Q bars doing?

I too, had problems scanning in one channel yesterday, although my 8100 didn't reboot, it just wouldn't scan in the main channel, only the 2nd SD channel. In MY case, I noticed that the S/Q bars were jumping around wildly, compared to the channels that scanned in fine, which were nice and steady.

I'm thinking that I'm getting a lot of multipath on that channel, which happens to be a channel that is taking over it's old VHF slot, after spending the transition period on UHF, where it scanned in fine. I know that multipath is more likely on VHF, and I notice that your channel is on CH-19, which is UHF, so it's perhaps less likely in your case, but I notice that the antenna pattern for your station is highly directional, with strong signal north and south, and weaker to the east and west. So I thought that if perhaps you're west of the transmitter, you could be getting reflections off buildings or something from the strong N/S signal, which might be competing with the weaker direct signal??? Just a thought.
If it is multipath, a more directional antenna may help, at least until you get it scanned in. After the channels are scanned in, I doubt that you'll have any trouble. Another reason that this receiver really needs a channel editor.

I had some sat channels previously scanned and viewed auto-erased by SonicView later when trying to tune in while signal strength dropped due to weather conditions. Same happen when previously scanned TPs no longer existed - this is probably more relevant to TP auto update feature. So scanning channels didn't give any warranty to avoid them disappearing in the future. Not sure, if some ATSC tuners behave in similar fashion when used in the same receiver - my stand along Samsung doesn't.

Last edited:
It's funny you mentioned the S/Q fluctuation because it NEVER used to do that. Since the DTV transition, it has been doing that. Now, I'm trying to figure out who is interfering.

But, this shouldn't be causing the box to reboot like that EVERY time i try to scan it in. That is strange.

I sort of fixed the issue. Luckily I saved an uncorrupted copy of my DTV channel list on a flash drive, and re-loaded. I can tune in WSFL without a reboot, but any future attempts to scan it in will cause the unit to reboot.

Also...down here...there are DTV channels all next to each other. Digital 18-19- and 20.

Isn't that a little much? Little too much interference there? WSFL happens to be on digital 19.

So....my problem solved....for now.

UPDATE:

Just went outside and disconnected my West-Palm Beach,FL market antenna and multipath has been eliminated from the line.

Mulitpath was the cause of reboots on my 8100. So...for those of you reading....multipath will still cause all of us massive problems for DTV.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)