Status
Please reply by conversation.

chuckinnc

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
Western,NC
I use a 6000 for fixed dishes & 4000 for motor/dish, this works well except the
4000 takes forever to blind scan compared to the 6000 (thats on fast blind scan)
I have never had the time to use or know why they have (detailed blind scan)
on the 4000 so does anyone know if there is really any difference in the scans?
On a different item, I planed on getting a 8000 to add to my Coolsat setup until I read a reveiw of it on this forum. It stated 8000 did not have blind scan, does
anyone know if this is the case? Sorry for all the questions but im thinking if the
6000 was alot faster than the 4000 then a 8000 would be even faster but if it dont do blind scan then then I think i will pass on it.

The fast blind scan works well for symbol rates above 3000, but it might miss transponders with symbol rates around 2170, and it will not pick up anything lower.
With the detailed scan I have picked up transponders with symbol rates as low as 1000.

Chuck,

Iceberg clued me on to the DETAIL SR mode of blind scan. It does take more time to scan, but it also - as Qwert stated - pick up lower SR signals more often and more accurately.

RADAR

Radar - Does detailed blind scan not just scan programmed symbol rates as opposed to looking for all posibilities

Pedro,

Not to put too fine of a point on it, I think of it more like using Google, Yahoo or Dogpile search engines.

Within these internet search engines, if you refine (or limit) your search for a particular item, you will find a few hits faster.

If you broaden the search parameters, you will find many more hits, but it will require more time to locate and load them all.

Hence, the difference between the SR search modes, the more broad of a search range you allow, the more results you end up with, but that search function is going to take much longer.

It almost seems backwards. They refer to it as "DETAILED" which makes it sound more refined or limited, but I take that to mean "look for everything in detail and take your time" rather than "make a broad search quickly".

Does that make sense to your way of thinking?

RADAR

Not to put too fine of a point on it, I think of it more like using Google, Yahoo or Dogpile search engines.

Within these internet search engines, if you refine (or limit) your search for a particular item, you will find a few hits faster.

If you broaden the search parameters, you will find many more hits, but it will require more time to locate and load them all.

Hence, the difference between the SR search modes, the more broad of a search range you allow, the more results you end up with, but that search function is going to take much longer.

It almost seems backwards. They refer to it as "DETAILED" which makes it sound more refined or limited, but I take that to mean "look for everything in detail and take your time" rather than "make a broad search quickly".

Does that make sense to your way of thinking?

RADAR
Great analogy Radar, I love the Fortec Star Dynamic 4Mhz, detail blind-scan and the way it adds the + sign to the transponders. I have used the Coolsat blind-scan under 3 Mhz symbol rate and was surprised that it found stations. Part of the excitement of FTA is doing blind-scans to see what pops up.

Thanks Radar, You can tell I don't use blind scan. I was thinking more of the method the scans samples the S/R My thouights were that on a normal known satellite scan the S/R are pre programmed and on the detailed scan they were on a step basis. This would also account for some blindness (sorry for the pun) at the low S/R rates

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)