SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 2, 2010
Salem
Greetings to all.

Anyone know how to update or scan for new channels on a CS5000
without duplicate channels showing up?

Can the box do it on its own?

manual scan or blind scan or pid scan etc ???

I end up with duplicate channels and then have to remove them manually
no matter what I try.

Thanks to everyone for any input.

You can pid scan for individual channels or manual scan but this will bring in complete tps.

I save the channels I usually watch to a favorites list. When I blind scan for feeds for example, I exit my favorites, go to the sat I´m interested in, blind scan and even though I might get duplicates (say Big Ten @91w), my favorites list doesn´t change so I just go back to that after watching the feed. Hope this helps. Luck.

Greetings to all.

no matter what I try.

Dan70,

Probably the best method that I have determined is to do the following:

First, use the most recent FTA firmware (aftermarket firmware) for the CS 5K (available here: FTAFirmware for Coolsat )

Second, go ahead and BLIND SCAN the satellite/s to ensure you have updated transponders logged into the receiver memory.

Third, delete ALL CHANNELS.

Fourth, rescan all the satellites using AUTO SCAN.

Fifth, save a backup channel list of what you just created and name the file something like "LIST 06-09-2010-1232". Thus giving your list a month/day/year/time stamp right in the name of the list. Save this list in a secure device like on a flash drive or a CD where you won't be tempted to edit it. This will be your "backup list" should you ever mess up your edit list too severely that you don't wish to use it and start over.

Make a COPY of this file and use Channel Master program to make any edits you wish to the COPY file. If your edits are to your approval, ave that file with a NEW date and time stamp.

Channel Master program available here: SharpC Discussion Forum

You can use this program to edit your channel list and there is an option to remove all duplicate channels, if you need to do it in software.

Do all your editing with Channel Master, but upload and download the lists via the Coolsat loader program.

If you are a feed hunter and need to utilize the BLIND SCAN often, you will have to utilize several if not all of these steps to help you keep your list clean of duplicate channels. It is normally the BLIND SCAN process that results in the most duplicates. AUTO SCAN also creates duplicate channels, but very much less frequently.

There isn't any scan process that elliminates duplicate channels from occurring completely, so it does require some labor on your part. However, with some of these steps, you can reduce your troubles and manage your channel list more effectively.

Good Luck and have fun! :)

RADAR

Last edited:
Greetings to all.

no matter what I try.

I'm confused. When I scan if a channel is already in the list it wont show up again. It shows up in the list where it should and isnt "duplicated"...It puts the new channels at the end of your channel list

I'm confused. When I scan if a channel is already in the list it wont show up again. It shows up in the list where it should and isnt "duplicated"...It puts the new channels at the end of your channel list

Same here, that's what both my CS 6000's do. I'm running the 004 fw, if that makes any difference.

double channels

Thank you to all for the info, I sure appreciate everyone taking the time :)

I have two coolsat 5000 and the one I'm looking at now has version 1.10
the other has 1.11, I believe (sorry the other is not hooked up to say for sure)

Either way what I see is if I Don't erase All channels before doing a new scan,
I get duplicate channels. Not all duplicate(s) but random stuff like,
(2) LLBN English channels (2) CTN channels (2) Ishtar etc...the list goes on.

I'd say 1/3 channels are duplicates; some are added in ALL CAPS and the original channel in Combination lower case and caps...for instance
"ISHTAR" and same channel again "Ishtar"

I could get up to half the channels in duplicate making deletion tedious.

I strongly suspect latest firmware version would fix most of these issues and I will install once I get the serial cable needed to do that.

I do a blind scan now and then to see if I'm missing anything;)

I really like the CS5000 other than the slight quirkiness mentioned.

Check if you have duplicate transponders, from time to time my Pansat goes all 'loco' on me and logs transponders more than once, for example:

4160 H, SR 13500
4160 H, SR 13498
4158 H, SR 13500

Some of those combinations, and since i know it's wrong, i have to manually delete those duplicate transponders, otherwise it'll also bring up the same channels for the three of them.

Cheers!

Mike

Ditto. The VS's dup channels but the 6K never has, and I've run several iterations of FW (OEM and otherwise) on it to take advantage of various switch support, etc. I have read somewhere that you have to do a factory reset AFTER a load of the OEM FW (or any FW I suspect) to get a "clean slate".

ChannelMaster is excellent for these boxes. There are several apps that support the CS type database format but CM is the most refined and locatable. Try the FW on the link to the "sanitized" aftermarket FW. There are (were, havent been there in a while) several iterations (revs) of it available as well depending on the features one wants left in/removed.

If you build a "blank" Sat/TP/channel list via CM, upload it, and do a factory reset, that should get the garbage out.

There may be some differences between the 5K and 6K that cause that behavior, but I cant speak to that as I've never had a 5K to disect.

Last edited:
Thank you

I would like to thank everyone for the help,
and to AcWxRadar for the detailed use of CM software.

Once I get the serial cable I will flash to the latest CS firmware
as outlined in this thread.

Hope everyone is doing well,

dan70

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)