Status
Please reply by conversation.

SatinKzo

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 22, 2004
Louisiana
This is NOT a hack question, it is a simple troublshooting question as I am trying to help a co-worker who has an old BUD FTA setup.

He is farily new to FTA and I told him about this site, but he has yet to visit I guess. he's beenn doing FTA about 1 year and the BUD was at the house when he bought it.
Anyways, About a week ago, he lost all signal. He has tested and tested and believes it to be his receiver. Since there is no retailer in the area he can take it to test or at least possibly get a loaner to test it out he ask me if I knew if FTA receivers could be hooked to Dishpro setups? He wants to see if he can at least see the channels that are on 110,119 that are FTA so he could test his receiver on a different system. He's just uneasy about it and so am I as he wants to try it on my dish setup as he is only FTA and OTA and I don't want anything of mine to get damaged.

I have no clue if the FTA receiver would work on dishpro and was kind of leary to ask as I think it could taken as hack talk. Again, please realize I have been here a while and this is a legit question for troubleshooting only.
I read the FAQ's but I don't see anything referencing dishpro either.

Of course a while back I was gung-ho on setting up my own FTA system as it is something I think I could really get in to, but time constraints have prevented me from doing so.

Ok from another post I just read, it looks like he should be able to at least test and see 2 or 3 fta on 110/119 eventhough the dishpro are stacked? Am I correct in interpreting this?

it will work...sort of

Becasue DishPro is stacked frequencies, theres some weird things about it. The Horizontal tranponders (evens) are at a higher frequency and there is some changes you'd have to make. But for our sakes, yes it will work.

Hook it up and scan the odd transponders (1,3,5,etc). It should register something (and any audio channels you'll be able to hear) :)

and I think Dish 101 is still on transponder 17 which is FTA

Thanks Iceberg. only need 1 to come in to test. Thanks for the heads up on the odd's though, that might have caused some confusion.

Edit:

Let me also ask, will this work through a DPP44 or DP34 switch or do I need to come directly from the dish?

Last edited:
it will work from a DP34. In the menu, it will say "Diseqc" and options of 1,2,3,4

Whatever port 119 is plugged into, use that as the Diseqc option.

This would be coming off the normal receiver outputs on the switch right? What if I just came off the pass-thru ports on the side and just hooked it up to the 119 port?

I got to thinking after getting the info I needed, since Dispro is stacked and by default FTA receivers can only see the odd TP's from a dishpro switch, how would you make it see the even TP's? Does it require another switch or is this where the hacked software comes into play? Iceberg alluded to it being possible with a bit more work.
The more I learn about FTA (mostly just reading it right here) the more I want to know. What other good info sites do you guys frequent? I inquired a while back on how to get started, but now, I am even more intrigued and might want to start with just getting a receiver to work on a dishpro setup and learning a little bit at a time before I invest in a dish and switches etc.

Last edited:
yeah, most FTA sites I find require a payment and then you get access to the software updates and channel lists.

Thanks again iceberg. I tried searching for it, but I keep getting page not found for sat guys today.

I know. I was just stating that when searching, that is the majority of the sites that I find.

Just wanted to say thanks iceberg. Turns out the receiver is good. Man, nothing worse then getting to what you think is the final step and having to start over again.

do you think maybe his cabling or LNB's are bad?

You mentioned a BUD...what is he using? C & Ku band?

He swapped out the Ku LNB with a new one and no change.

He said he tried to hook directly to the lnb with a short cable out at the dish and ran an extension cord out for tv and receiver, still nothing.

Could something have happened and somehow is focus off on the dish? I have not seen the setup, but today when he told me he used a new LNB and went out to the dish itself and bypassed the existing cable it seems strange to me.

He said it is not motorized anymore (he never used the motor) so possibly it got moved? I think he said he only watches IA5.

I have no experience with BUD's whatsoever, so I am not much help. I keep insisting he just get online and ask you guys but since he only has dialup, he is not a big internet user.

Edit:

Well, I mentioned to him to see if his dish got moved or something and he didn't think so, but when he gets home is going to check and hook up a meter and play with the aiming a bit and see.

Last edited:
On a BUD, KU is a little trickier to pick up than C-Band
Throw in the fact that KU digital you have to be DEAD on to get a signal can complicate it. Analog you have snow so you can fine tune.

Wonder if the LNB got moved a little bit? A ¼ inch can make the difference

Yeah, he mentioned that it had to be exact for his KU LNB and was like "Eureka!" when I asked if it was possible the dish/lnb got moved a bit. Just one of those things I guess that an outsider is helpful as they don't assume anything.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts