Copy H3 to external drive ?

bobdee

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 19, 2020
Arizona
I have a new 1tb external hdd, with only a single cable to plug to the H3. I don't see anything come up in settings. It only gets power from usb, do you need one with another power source ? Never tried this before, so I'm not sure what I need.

I have a new 1tb external hdd, with only a single cable to plug to the H3. I don't see anything come up in settings. It only gets power from usb, do you need one with another power source ? Never tried this before, so I'm not sure what I need.
The only thing semi-supported by dish are self powered disks, meaning they have their own power supply. I have had success with the USB3 WD My Passport, which is powered off USB. I also have a USB2 WD My Passport that reliably crashed my 612 (when I had it). So, you can run into power-hungry bus-powered disks that will cause you grief.

Reactions: charlesrshell
The only thing semi-supported by dish are self powered disks, meaning they have their own power supply. I have had success with the USB3 WD My Passport, which is powered off USB. I also have a USB2 WD My Passport that reliably crashed my 612 (when I had it). So, you can run into power-hungry bus-powered disks that will cause you grief.
Thanks, :(

If it draws a very small amount of power like an SSD then I've found them to work. But if it draws more power like a spinning HDD, Dish has stated that they do not supply full USB power to the ports.

So a powered hub may be your avenue. All my EHD's are externally powered.

Dish engineers have made it clear in the past: Dish officially recommends ONLY external HDD's that are externally powered; anything else is at your own risk. Using USB power from the DVR is going to have YMMV inconsistent success greatly dependent upon the particular HDD using USB power from the DVR. Subscribers will have the highest level of success with HDD's that are externally powered and avoid possible issues with USB powered by DVR HDD's. I, for one, am not interested in taking the risk of using a DVR USB powered HDD.

Reactions: fmj77

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts