Copying from DVR to DVR via UHF

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Cognato

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 10, 2006
I am thinking of Moving from Dish to Direct. I have a vip622 and would like to save some programs that I have on it. I am thinking of getting a AM21 on my new Direct DVR, my question is, could it tune to one of the UHF channels that the 622 can put out? I am not worried about quality that much. The question is if the AM21could see UHF channel 72 for example?

My next option would probably buy a video capture device for my computer and transfer it from the composite or S video output.

I don't believe the 622 puts out a digital OTA type signal. Your SDTV picks up the 622 output signal via an analog coax signal on a certain channel. The AM21 picks up a digital signal OTA. It doesn't seem compatible, but someone else who knows more may want to chime in.

The modulated channels that come out of the ViP622 are analog (NTSC). The AM21 is digital (ATSC) only. It will not work.

There is absolutely no way to move content between DISH Network and DIRECTV HD DVRs. The real surprise is that there is no way to move content between DIRECTV HD DVRs.

Starnote:

If you're a fan of OTA, you need to know that the AM21 will only tune OTA channels that DIRECTV provides guide information for. It is incapable of scanning to find available channels.

The real surprise is that there is no way to move content between DIRECTV HD DVRs.

Been that way forever, not really a real surprise to anyone.

You can't copy recorded programs from DIRECTV DVR to DIRECTV DVR, but you can use the Multiroom viewing feature to watch something from one DVR in the house to another DVR in the house.

Been that way forever, not really a real surprise to anyone.
It may well be a surprise to someone like the OP who would be coming from DISH Network where transferring recordings between HD DVRs has been an option for some time.

MRV is no help when one of your HD DVRs is dying and you want to salvage its recordings.

AM21 only receives channels in DirecTVs database. Now if you're lucky enough that you have a local channel 72 that's in DirecTVs database (which is a big if), that might just work. But otherwise, no, it won't pick it up.

I think that harshness is correct in that the AM21 probably just has a ATSC tuner and not an NTSC tuner for the few UHF stations still on the air. The NTSC modulation in the ViP 622 can be set to any current UHF channel and a wide range of Cable channel frequencies, but that still won't get me a recordable signal.

Now this site has Video & Audio ads when reading a thread.

I guess they needed to make the site work even slower.... :rolleyes:

I think that harshness is correct in that the AM21 probably just has a ATSC tuner and not an NTSC tuner for the few UHF stations still on the air.

The AM21 only gets ATSC channels and I think the bolded work was suppose to be analog and not UHF. ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)