cord shaving

sxmfan2018

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 30, 2018
los angeles
i have dish network now and i am happy with them. though i am wondering if i can drop the locals since i can pick up about 150 via outdoor antenna for free. or are they gonna try and sell me it's part of the package we can't do that. i read some where that i could drop the locals

Not sure if it still works the same way but before I had Flex plus Locals I was ONLY getting data for the main channels. The sub-channels and channels out of my DMA had NO guide data.

That is about right. When I was using an OTA adapter with my Hopper2000, the only subchannels I got guide data for were PBS. No out of market channels had guide data.

You can drop locals from any package except Welcome Pack, IIRC.
I think the lowest-level Latino package (Latino Basico) is the same way.

However the OTAs showup while you subscribe to locals is how they will showup after you cancel locals.
There have been reports of problems with certain individual channels, where the OTA guide data will show up with a subscription to the satellite locals, but then the guide data for that channel disappears after you drop the locals. That seems to be a glitch, though, and only affects certain channels, not the entire local package.

However the OTAs showup while you subscribe to locals is how they will showup after you cancel locals.

Unfortunately, that has not been my experience wiith the Washington DC locals. I had all the guide data on my favorite channel, our local PBS channel 26, and I dropped locals as soon as that was possible and saved $10/mo. 26.0 went away as expected, but so did guide data for 26.1. The WETA subchannels did before and still do have guide data. I turned the locals via satellite back on, and 26.1 guide data reappeared. I turned them off again, and it's gone again. I went around and around with one of the nice DIRT members here, but they could do nothing but ask for a fix that never came. How long ago were locals optional? That has been how long I have been without my local PBS main channel guide. Sucks.

Reactions: pattykay
My DVR+ shows the full EPG, including 26 in toto.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Some of the OTA channel list
20190211_115629.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G930P using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: pattykay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts