could bad cables cause that bad of a pic?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

elite

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 21, 2004
I recently got voom....and a panny 53 tv. After it was all installed I also got a dvb318.....so im under the impression that I got all pretty good stuff, input and output.

After not loving the picture quality, I returned the tv.....and got a new toshiba 51h84, which I guess is supposed to be decent. I got a deal on it so I said why not. The picture still doesnt look as good as I think it should.

Question - could cables really make the last bit of difference? I ordered a gefen dvi to hdmi to connect my voom to my tv, I should get it tomorrow.....do you think this will help? If not, im at a loss. I see these in the store and they are split 10000 times and they still look better IMO. Will digital cable vs. component analog cable make the last bit of improvment im looking for....or is it like changing from 14 to 12awg wire on speakers when you cant even notice it? Is still unhappy....and I cant imagine its my sources I.E. voom.

thx
elite

Great TV. I won't hurt to try component cables, but many people beleive Voom has bad PQ. The general rule on analog cables is that high-priced are not worth it unless you need a cable longer than 10 ft or so. For DVI, 6 feet or longer and you'll need better cables. Obviously, if your cables cost 2 for $.99, they may not be good.

I personally suspect it's Voom, but there are some tests. Does OTA look good using Voom box? Can you check out OTA digitals w/o using Voom's box? You can always buy cables, see if you like them, and if not, return them. Just check return policy. Good luck.

I had the panny with a built in tuner....i think the pic was the same to be honest......do you think the toshiba is a better tv?

The new model of the panny 53 is good from what i saw, but i didnt compare my tosh to it side by side. I just decided to go with toshiba...others had good luck, and it looked good.

I ordered a 6 foot gefen dvi/hdmi cable..it was 50 bucks....seems alot but I mean i need to eliminate all the variables. I can also test the dvb318 dvd player, its got dvi out. I PRAYYYY it works....

im glad you said its a good tv....i was nervous it was that after all.

elite said:
I recently got voom....and a panny 53 tv. After it was all installed I also got a dvb318.....so im under the impression that I got all pretty good stuff, input and output.

After not loving the picture quality, I returned the tv.....and got a new toshiba 51h84, which I guess is supposed to be decent. I got a deal on it so I said why not. The picture still doesnt look as good as I think it should.

Question - could cables really make the last bit of difference? I ordered a gefen dvi to hdmi to connect my voom to my tv, I should get it tomorrow.....do you think this will help? If not, im at a loss. I see these in the store and they are split 10000 times and they still look better IMO. Will digital cable vs. component analog cable make the last bit of improvment im looking for....or is it like changing from 14 to 12awg wire on speakers when you cant even notice it? Is still unhappy....and I cant imagine its my sources I.E. voom.

thx
elite

No body asked what resolution you are running the VOOM receiver? If you change to HDnews or DHDT the picture should look excellent? The red button in front of the receiver is used to change resolution.

wowowo wait..there is a button to change resolution? I mean if thats all it is...i will beat myself up! So what are the options? Im not home now to look but im flipping out thinking that this could be the prob.....is there a link to this, explaining more...or can you fill me in??????

Just open up the little door on the front right hand side of the receiver and keep pressing the little red button until you get a 720p or 1080i on your TV. :) Let us know how it goes.

elite said:
wowowo wait..there is a button to change resolution? I mean if thats all it is...i will beat myself up! So what are the options? Im not home now to look but im flipping out thinking that this could be the prob.....is there a link to this, explaining more...or can you fill me in??????

Follow this link to the stb faq. It explain most things about the stb, including the resolution and how to change it.

OK, ill go home at lunch and test this....but I have a feeling its at 1080 cause I think my panny used to tell me what res it was displaying.....I cant remember. Do you know what the default is? and would 720p cause a little grainy-ish picture to where when I go to 1080 ill noticed it? If that all it was and I returned the other tv ill cry LOL.....

On the box, on right front side where you see the Motorola logo, that's a lid you can flip down to reveal a red button. Pressing the button will cycle through 1080i, 720p, 480p, 480i, and native. There are four slits on the front that just look like decoration but actually serve a function: they light up to indicate the resolution in effect, where top bar=1080i, 2nd bar=720p, etc. and all bars light up for native. I'm guessing your panny is 720p? Use that, or 1080i if your panny is a crt. (Don't use native, b/c the box will constantly change resolution as you change from SD<->HD channel and it's distracting.)

This is all explained in the FAQ, but it's so long I guess people miss it. Sean, maybe you should have a sticky just to explain the red button.

May help to have another sticky to say if DVI doesn't look good, try components and vice versa.

For DVI, I say use the cheapest you can find. It's digital so it either works or not. If the cable is defective, there'll be obvious problems (warped picture, no picture, etc). One thing about DVI is if the copy protection thingy isn't compatible, the box MAY downconvert to 480 which may be why it looks bad. I don't know if this is what happening to you, but I hear that's how the copy protection work.

elite said:
OK, ill go home at lunch and test this....but I have a feeling its at 1080 cause I think my panny used to tell me what res it was displaying.....I cant remember. Do you know what the default is? and would 720p cause a little grainy-ish picture to where when I go to 1080 ill noticed it? If that all it was and I returned the other tv ill cry LOL.....

It all depends what the native resolution of the TV is. I do not know what the default is but from reading the posts here most people get 480p. If your TV does not support 720p you would get a blank or dark screen with no picture. 480p is bad with no details. Do this and report back to us....

Elite, if your TV is in 1080i mode and you still don't think the picture is as good as it should be, you are right. At the moment, Voom's HD does not have the WOW factor that it should. Many people here are blind to the fact or just don't want to admit it, but Voom's PQ is not up to par to what it should be. On a fifty some inch TV, you should still get a very good pic, just not the razor sharp, crystal clear WOW pic that you would see from another source such as HDNET or DiscoveryHD from Dish. Please post back and let us know your results of the red button.

if i press it once...is that an indicator of where its at, then itll start the cycle....OR is the 1st time i press it gonna change it on 1st press???

Just want to know so i can see where i am at right now...

barth2k said:
On the box, on right front side where you see the Motorola logo, that's a lid you can flip down to reveal a red button. Pressing the button will cycle through 1080i, 720p, 480p, 480i, and native. There are four slits on the front that just look like decoration but actually serve a function: they light up to indicate the resolution in effect, where top bar=1080i, 2nd bar=720p, etc. and all bars light up for native. I'm guessing your panny is 720p? Use that, or 1080i if your panny is a crt. (Don't use native, b/c the box will constantly change resolution as you change from SD<->HD channel and it's distracting.)

This is all explained in the FAQ, but it's so long I guess people miss it. Sean, maybe you should have a sticky just to explain the red button.

May help to have another sticky to say if DVI doesn't look good, try components and vice versa.

For DVI, I say use the cheapest you can find. It's digital so it either works or not. If the cable is defective, there'll be obvious problems (warped picture, no picture, etc). One thing about DVI is if the copy protection thingy isn't compatible, the box MAY downconvert to 480 which may be why it looks bad. I don't know if this is what happening to you, but I hear that's how the copy protection work.

I've found you really have to mess w/the color gains on DVI to get it right. Does it look as bad in component?

My question about TV type is not an RP question. Is it a CRT or a fixed panel?

barth2k said:
Ok, I will add "Top 10 questions" list. How about that? Please post your suggestions for the Top 10 list here.

ok....

1. checked the red button...I think I was on 1080i but now I am sure cause I cycled it through it a few times.
2. using the dvi/hdmi cable....it seems alot brighter, and a bit better....

I am still not happy..I dont know why...I dont get the razor sharpness I see at sears with some junk signal split 10000 times....

think its my tv? I dont know...im at a loss....I am just not as happy as I though I should be....

Elite, read my prior post, I doubt it's your TV. Have you gone through basic calibrations on it using a setup disc? If not, that will help some, but you aren't going to get razor sharp from Voom, at least not until they upgrade their delivery codec.

Go with what DarrellP said. Voom PQ isn't the best. It's good, but it is inferior. I was just at BB today, and their split a 1000 times demo looked much better than my Voom. Before anyone says anything, I know how to adjust display sets off of torture settings.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts