Could Match sadoun SP240 Polar mount to my stationary Dish 8' WS International?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Vallenato

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 25, 2011
America
Hello Everybody
I have one solid Stationary Dish 8' (2.40 mts) from WS International WS24095

http://www.wsidigital.com/240cm-2_4m-2_4-mts-prime-focus-satellite-dish.htm

I wish to get a polar mount to put actuator in the Future. I have seen SP240- Polar Mount for Sadoun SD240PM in stock..
http://sadoun.com/Sat/Products/S/Dishes/SD240PM-Polar-Mount.htm

My Question is: Could This polar mount to fit into my WS international antenna?
Sadoun store said the next information below:

· It may also work on other brand 240cm and 180cm dishes, but will need adaptation by the end user (drilling some holes, welding, clamping, which is not included. It does not fit out of the box and we are not reposnible for fitiing. Sold As Is

What is the Mean drilling some holes? where?, Welding? where?
Any FTA Tester that has tried this before ?Anybody remember any thread talking about this?

I am owner of one sadoun 6' (1.8 mts) and appears the same construction like ws international antennas..
I am asking Just to make sure
Thanks in advance

You'll have to put your current dish face down on the ground. Then place the polar mounts dish attachment on the back of the dish and see 'what has to be done' to affix the two together. Make sure to get it centered.(So as to not mess up the declination measurements) Bracket building, drilling, and maybe some welding will probably ensue. Then attach the polar mount itself and place it all on a pole. Should be do-able.
BE SURE to post pictures of this endeavor all along the "path".

Have you considered just finding any old broken down BUD and scavaving the mount from it?
Unless the Sadoun mount would fit with ease (and it might!), that's what I'd do. :)

edit: tripple check the pole size that mount fits!
Seems there is a faint memory about that being non-standard...;)

2nd edit: many years ago, Sadoun had a small H-H motor for his 6' dish. (H180?)
Somewhere on his site or forum, there were pictures and descriptions of cutting up the square tubing from the 6'ers fixed ground mount, and using them between motor and dish.
If you can find those pictures, they may give you some ideas. ;)

Last edited:
I am interested in doing the same thing! I have an 8 foot stationary waiting to put up, and when I do I would also prefer to motorize it. I see sadoun has the 6 footer for $149 right now (actually from the December flyer looks like it was $119 for the month of December). Not much more than the $99 for just the polar mount. I like the idea anole posted of finding a broken down BUD and using the mount from it. I guess if one is going to have to do some cutting/welding/forming anyhow why not.

great minds ...

I do:
- cutting
- bending
- drilling
- bolting
- and epoxy / JB Weld

I have several friends with welders, but don't think that way unless all else fails. :)

This forum is so full of pictures where members have solved similar problems before.
Worst case, post pictures of the incomparable parts; someone might see a better solution! ;)

Looks to me like it will work. Along with what has already been said, I would try to align top with top - top of the dish with top of the polar mount. I would get the mount centered exactly- within a sixteenth of an inch, mark the holes to be drilled in the dish. And then I would measure from the marks every which way , and only drill the holes if all measurements are equal.

When the time comes to drill the holes in the dish, I would have the bolts (carriage?) ready and would drill one hole the exact size of the bolt. Then I would bolt the mount onto the one hole and line it up with the other marks. Then I would drill another hole on opposite side of the mount and bolt it up . Only then would I drill the rest and through the other holes in the mount bracket to make sure it all bolted up exactly right.

I think it should work.

Well. In a few days I will know how "Hard" or "easy" is??
My WSI is waiting for sadoun delivery stuff.
I will ask or post results..
Thanks everybody for your answers
Merry christmas!!!

Hello Everybody. I am continuing with my project and My Questions Begin..
I have already assembled my antenna WS 240 95 and I have Unpacked the Sadoun Polar Mount pieces SP240 PM .
My Question is How I can to attach the Sadoun Rim to the WSI antenna Rim? And How I can assure that I am attaching both pieces in the exactly in good position and avoid to fail future signals test..
The SP240 PM rim is little bit more small than the Rim of the WSI antenna..see the picture
I have taken one picture from my sadoun 6 foot(1.8 mts)just of reference(last picture). The design of the Sadoun Polar mount SP240 PM appears to be different

Ideas are very welcome WSI 24095 a.JPGWSI 24095 c.JPGSadoun SP240 Pm a.JPGSadoun SP240 Pm b.JPGWSI & Sadoun a.JPGWSI & Sadoun b.JPGWSI & Sadoun c.JPGWSI & Sadoun d.JPGWSI & Sadoun e.JPGP1050549.jpgsadoun 6 foot.JPG

Attachments

• WSI 24095 b.JPG
    WSI 24095 b.JPG
    835.5 KB · Views: 335
Fat Aor and Lone Cloud already provided the basic steps for aligning and mounting the reflector to the mount. Yes, they won't match-up and you will need to fabricate your own solution.

Maybe perfectly center and weld tabs between the rings? With all the free dishes out there, be careful how much time and dollars are invested in the modification. In my humble opinion, you can't turn a sow's ear into a silk purse...

Good advice for this project... As my dad used to tell me, "measure twice and drill once"! :)

Last edited:
Here's my two pics hope this helps. The original dish which was 6 ft was an older WSI. I put 8 foot Fortec dish panels on it. I think my dish hardware was WSI and the mount is Sadoun....all an engineered hybird for sure! Looks like you might have to fabricate something for the ring on yours though. I would get some thick angle stock (L shaped) and make four pieces and bolt old ring and new ring together if you don't have access to a welder. Place one at top and bottom of the rings and one bar on each of the sides of the rings. Bolt them together. Yeah someone is already laughing at the idea I know. If you got a welder it would be more secure and look better too
Dish 2012 002.JPGDish 2012 003.JPG

Last edited:
I will just tell you how I might start to do it, given the photos.

I note that the metal tabs on the mount are about at the same depth as the face of the dish ring closest to the dish. If so, I might consider 8 " L" shaped steel brackets of maybe 3/16 inch steel, two inches wide, where there are three holes in each. On the long end of the "L" there are two holes that line up with the steel tabs on the mounting ring - you use short bolts on that, of the exact diameter of the hole- if it's a half inch hole, you use like one inch long, half inch bolts. On the short end of the "L" one smaller hole ( I wouldn't go bigger than a 1/4 inch bolt hole ). You would have to drill a 1/4 inch hole through the side of the dish ring and bolt the short side of the "L" to it with 1/4 inch bolts.

An alternative is, once you have everything lined up, you could arc weld the "L"s onto the inside of the ring, after grinding down to bare metal.

These are just ideas which I hope give you a starting point for figuring this out.

Good luck and Happy New Year

Thanks guys for your Tips
Viewing today mi options "welding or use th L metal piece with bolts" is probably that my antena will not rotate up of 30 grades becasue the Yellow "straps" on the back of the antena will touch with the rim sadoun if i will try to rotate the hole antenna..But I think that is not necesary to rotate the whole antenna..I have tested several satellites on my sadoun 1.8 mts and I never have had to rotate this..
comments are welcome

Hard to know what you are describing here
I am referring about to "rotate or Skew" the Whole antenna after weld or screwing the "L" metal, the antenna will not move to much in degrees (right or left ) but anyway this is the reason why I need to assure that the Sadoun Rim is exactly in the center of the antenna before to start to drill or weld..
Thanks;)

I think the only critical thing to ensure is making sure the mount and the dish rim are parallel. As was mentioned earlier, lay the dish face-down on a level surface, or shim it so it is level and not warped. Then lay the mount's circular ring somewhere in the dish mounting ring. Make the mount's ring level, along with the dish and they will be parallel. I wouldn't worry about centering the ring or any other measurements, just make sure they are both level. This will ensure any adjustments to the mount's angles or axis is translated without deviation to the dish's "aim".

Oh, and if you are having interference problems (physical interference not radio:)), put some distance between the mount ring and the dish ring. You could lay the dish down, they lay some structural steel like 1x2 thin wall tubing down on the ring, then put the mount ring on top of this. Put a few bolts in to tie it all together. You can use the mounting holes in the mount ring for the mount side, and drill where needed for the dish side. I'd hazard a guess that the dish ring is parallel with the dish rim, so you may find that nothing really needs to be compensated for when you bolt it together. If it does need adjusting, shim it out with shims or thin washers.

The skew will take care of itself, as the dish is moved by the actuator, no need to "twist" the dish. Just set the skew at '0' when at zenith.

The thing you need to understand is that skew on a big dish isn't quite the same as on a ku dish with USALS motor. In the small dish, the entire dish/lnb twists. The C band dish doesn't. I have been told that the result is the same, but looking at a ku dish and a C band dish aimed at the same satellite, they look different. Still, the C band dish brings in the satellites all across the arc, when you set the vertical probe in your lnb for straight up and down when the dish is at zenith.

If you want to control skew, you do it with a polarotor system.

The method I described will work. As FatAir says, the skew will take care of itself if you set the lnb right at zenith.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)