Country Bunpkin Project #2 (positioner)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

eodjeep2000

Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
castle rock, wa
Ok. So I have a Coolsat 5000 on the way (ebay). As I understand it I need something to position the dish that will work with my old actuator. Somebody said that I could use an old receiver as the cheapest option but I was thinking of both the VBox 6 and the GBox as well.

How much better is the GBox than the "new" VBox 6? I can get the Vbox 6 pretty cheap after considering the shipping costs of an old analog unit.

New V BOX 6 DiSEqC 1.2 Controller/Positioner w/Remote - eBay (item 280363863998 end time Jul-26-09 19:51:30 PDT)

Gbox 3000 vs unknown:

I never heard of the Vbox 6. Looks like a new product.

I was paying close attention when our member Linuxman did his review of the Gbox 3000.
It's a smokin' product, without a doubt.
And I ordered one several months back, on the strength of that review.
See our Equipment Review department.

So, here is your choice:
- try an untested product, and write us a review.
- pick a known 'n tested product, which we can vouch for.
Either way is good. - :cool:

I can't give a review of the item he is selling, but I CAN give a review of the seller.

hypermegasat is on my fav seller list. I have purchassed several items from them, and their service is VERY fast, shipping usually same day, things arrived surprisingly fast.

With over 15,000 sales, and a 99.8% positive feedback, how could you go wrong?

Photto

You might post a photo or describe your actuator (brand name, name plate info).

Some really, really old actuators use potentiometers to measure distance or rotation instead of with pulses like current technology does.

The GBox and VBox units are pulse counters.

I didn't know that...

It's an old Von Weise. It should be a pulse right???:confused:

Attachments

• actuator.JPG
    actuator.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 184
I didn't know that...

It's an old Von Weise. It should be a pulse right???:confused:
Can't say for sure until you take that back plate off.
Be careful to catch the 2 nuts on the lower screws. They are needed.

I have 2 Von Weiss actuators.

One was installed in 1985, which requires +5V, Pulse, and GND wires
Uses a light over a disc-wheel with 6 notches in it to count distance
Has 5 screw posts to connect the wires.

The other was installed around 2000 and it needs only Pulse and GND connected.
It uses a wheel with 8 magnets
Has 4 screw posts to connect the wires.

I'd bet it's the older style but I'll check to make sure. The old lady I bought my house from was super sweet but she could have been George Washington's secretary.:bounce

My VOn Wiese is even different yet. It is a small round rod with 2 wires hanging out of it. It was just siliconed into a round hole you see in the picture.

Attachments

• PICT0034.JPG
    PICT0034.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 208
Looks like the newer style. There were kits you could get to convert the old style to the newer style. I didn't find the old optical style to be very reliable. In theory they should be more accurate but I think static/lightning would get them more easily than the reed sensors.

If it were me I'd get rid of the wire nuts in favor of crimp style connectors or there should have been a terminal block in there from the factory. The wire nuts can be quite cumbersome.
Does your camera have a "macro" setting? That would help you get a clearer closeup. On second look, that might not be a reed sensor.......need a clearer picture of the whole thing.

Looks like the newer style. There were kits you could get to convert the old style to the newer style. I didn't find the old optical style to be very reliable. In theory they should be more accurate but I think static/lightning would get them more easily than the reed sensors.

If it were me I'd get rid of the wire nuts in favor of crimp style connectors or there should have been a terminal block in there from the factory. The wire nuts can be quite cumbersome.
Does your camera have a "macro" setting? That would help you get a clearer closeup. On second look, that might not be a reed sensor.......need a clearer picture of the whole thing.

Yes I did away with the wire nuts, I soldered longer wires on the whatever it is. I have a older post about this unit it seems it has a name on it put can not read it all. I looked the company up and found them in Canada. I guess these types do not go bad but I do not know that. Any way I put longer wires on it and used the terminal strip to make connection. I have not tested it out yet as I had to send my gbox back on a rma. I got it back but work is getting in the way and have not had a chance to try it out. As I have to finish burying the cable and other things. Will follow up when I get finished.

V-Box 6

I hadn't heard of this V-box 6 either and was hoping it would be something like the (long awaited) Sadaum GBox V4000S. However, after reading the V-box 6 discription, it appear to just control the positioner and doesn't mention control of the servo on the LNB feedhorn.

"Too Bad- So Sad." Until I can get that feature I will have to continue to use the old anolog box.

Steve

esteveW, the V Box 6 just controls the actuator. The need for a servo is gone with the new LNBs. They switch polarity with 13/18V from the receiver. If you want to use the V Box 6 you need to upgrade your LNB.

:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts