Status
Please reply by conversation.

53jimc

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 9, 2011
Roebuck, SC
Hi All,
I have two houses, 3 receivers, 2 standard non SWM and one HD DVR. I'm staying in the city home during the week, much closer to work, so I'd like to take just the HD DVR with me. On weekends my wife and I retire to the country home. (no, I'm not rich, just an odd situation at the moment and I'm making the best of it.)

The DVR is a HR23-700. At the country home, satellite dish is installed and all is ok.

I have a spare oval dish that has "multi satellite" printed on the front and it has the elevation adjustment along with the azimuth. The LNB on it is a "triple feed, multi sattelite lnb" model AU2-F1. The LNB has 4 RF connectors on it.

The questions are:

1. Can this dish be used with the HR23-700 by running two RF cables from the dish to the receiver?

2. If I ever did want to put another standard receiver in the city home, can I just run another RF cable from one of the LNB feeds to the receiver?

3. Is standard RF cable what is needed, or does DirecTv use a special cable?

Thanks for your help. Please easy on the flaming. I have been searching for two hours now trying to find an existing answer but haven't found one yet.

Jim

Hi All,
I have two houses, 3 receivers, 2 standard non SWM and one HD DVR. I'm staying in the city home during the week, much closer to work, so I'd like to take just the HD DVR with me. On weekends my wife and I retire to the country home. (no, I'm not rich, just an odd situation at the moment and I'm making the best of it.)

The DVR is a HR23-700. At the country home, satellite dish is installed and all is ok.

I have a spare oval dish that has "multi satellite" printed on the front and it has the elevation adjustment along with the azimuth. The LNB on it is a "triple feed, multi sattelite lnb" model AU2-F1. The LNB has 4 RF connectors on it.

The questions are:

1. Can this dish be used with the HR23-700 by running two RF cables from the dish to the receiver?

2. If I ever did want to put another standard receiver in the city home, can I just run another RF cable from one of the LNB feeds to the receiver?

3. Is standard RF cable what is needed, or does DirecTv use a special cable?

Thanks for your help. Please easy on the flaming. I have been searching for two hours now trying to find an existing answer but haven't found one yet.

Jim

:welcome to Satellitesguys!

1. You can use that dish with the HR23, but you won't get hd channels.
2. You can add a receiver to the setup just like you said.
3. RG6 is what you need.
No flaming here! :)

Thank you. I appreciate the information.

I see them on Ebay, guess I'll go ahead and get one there.

what set of locals do you get?
Greenville SC?

If so, the slimline 3LNB (99/101/103) will be fine

what set of locals do you get?
Greenville SC?

If so, the slimline 3LNB (99/101/103) will be fine

Yes, Greenville, SC. My daughter has a HD dish, don't know what kind yet as it's still on her roof. I plan to go get it while we're watching the grands when she and her hubby go to the Clemson game this Saturday. That'll save me about 70 bucks if it's the right dish. They went with AT&T for everything. She said she had several HD receivers I could have as well. Guess I'll see what she has and work from there. I'll report back.

Thanks for the info. This board seems to be as good as the MX5 board about helping others. Hope I can contribute something worthwhile in time.

Jim

Whew! What a weekend! Got the slimline dish from my daughter. I was contorted on the roof for the most part of an hour. I have a new-found respect for the DTV installers.

She also had two of the old Phillips (owned) receivers, don't know if they're worth hooking up.

Ok, so, I installed the dish. 217 azimuth, 45 elevation, 65 skew, now I have absolutely no signal. (zip 29376) I made d doubly sure the post was plumb. The LNB has 4 outputs so I just took two of them and hooked them up to the DVR. Is that the right thing to do, or is there something else I need in the circuit?

Is there something else I should be doing?

I'm at a loss.

Thanks,

Jim

Whew! What a weekend! Got the slimline dish from my daughter. I was contorted on the roof for the most part of an hour. I have a new-found respect for the DTV installers.

She also had two of the old Phillips (owned) receivers, don't know if they're worth hooking up.

Ok, so, I installed the dish. 217 azimuth, 45 elevation, 65 skew, now I have absolutely no signal. (zip 29376) I made d doubly sure the post was plumb. The LNB has 4 outputs so I just took two of them and hooked them up to the DVR. Is that the right thing to do, or is there something else I need in the circuit?

Is there something else I should be doing?

I'm at a loss.

Thanks,

Jim

Generally the numbers posted on the recvr is a starting point, usually close, but fine tuning will help.
You have NO SIGNAL on any sats?

Did you happen to do a Repeat Sat Set Up when you set it all up ?

Are you sure it's a Slimline and not a Slimline SWM ?

Wait, you did say it has 4 outputs I think, so ya, it would be a Non SWM set up.
Make sure it's seeing the correct dish type.

I would skip the Phillips recvrs.

Is this staying in her name ?
If not, shes really required to return these recvrs as they are leased.

Assuming your dish settings are correct, what Jimbo said is correct. You need to move the dish a bit in each direction and see if it gets you any signal at all. When you move the dish, just push gently on it and hold it for 15-20 seconds to give the receiver time to register the change. You should find some signal in one of the directions. When you do, loosen the dish enough to move it without it flopping around. That will allow you to make further adjustments until the signals get high enough, in the upper 80s at least. Use the 99c or 103ca, 103cb satellites for this. The 99s and 103s satellites have spot beams that aren't all pointed in your direction. Good luck, and don't give up!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)