moving into a new home

krynn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 2, 2020
woodland hills ca
we bought a new home and it came with DTV installed already!!! but it came with a genie and not the HR-17. so i am wondering will DTV have the address in there database set up for service along with the boxes listed??? i would really like for them to swap the genie and put my HR-17 instead. so i guess that what i'm asking is is that system tied to that house in any way or can they swap out hardware. i would like to make this phone call as painless as possible :coco

we bought a new home and it came with DTV installed already!!! but it came with a genie and not the HR-17. so i am wondering will DTV have the address in there database set up for service along with the boxes listed??? i would really like for them to swap the genie and put my HR-17 instead. so i guess that what i'm asking is is that system tied to that house in any way or can they swap out hardware. i would like to make this phone call as painless as possible :coco
The system is tied to whoever had the account prior and you can’t activate it on your account unless it was owned

To further add you may want to contact the previous owners as most likely that equipment needs returned

Reactions: raoul5788
The equipment there should have been returned ...
Don't use it as it is tied to the previous customers account ...

The dish that is there most likely can be used, but thats about it.

Reactions: harshness
The system is tied to whoever had the account prior and you can’t activate it on your account unless it was owned

To further add you may want to contact the previous owners as most likely that equipment needs returned
according to DTV. it can be reactivated. i just need to buy a new sim card and sign another 2 year contract :coco . i am not willing to take a genie from 2014 when i just got the genie2:coco

Call Directv or your local retailer and sign up with a new account.

That equipment that is there now likely
Can it be used.
it can be reused. but i have to pay for another sim card and send the old one back. i am also not willing to go from a genie 2 to a genie from 2014. i am also starting to think the system was installed by a home theater installer that does high end builds when the home was built. won't the installer take the old genie away???

And if the installer comes and uses the old Dish and LNB, have him give you the one that was not installed.

As all new installs come with a new Dish and LNB.

You might need it one day for camping or for a vacation home.
the LNB that's on the dish now is a triple LNB and not the reverse band one.. i hear there getting rid of the triple LNB. i did ask the installer what those were for and all he told me is that i need it if i wanted spanish programming:coco;). i have no use for it. the first thing you said is the last thing i want to do. i would rather that hitler owned DTV it would more than likely be ran better than how att is running it :coco . i'm gonna call a home theater installer in my area and see what they say

Last edited:
the LNB that's on the dish now is a triple LNB and not the reverse band one.. i hear there getting rid of the triple LNB. i did ask the installer what those were for and all he told me is that i need it if i wanted spanish programming:coco;). i have no use for it. the first thing you said is the last thing i want to do. i would rather that hitler owned DTV it would more than likely be ran better than how att is running it :coco . i'm gonna call a home theater installer in my area and see what they say
Your making WAY to much out of this ....
The OLD equipment cannot be activated in Your Name ....
If you know who you bought the house from, give him a call and ask him what hes gonna do with it ...
The newer equipment (Genie HR54 and the HS17 they will definitely want back.

Reactions: krynn
Call Directv or your local retailer and sign up with a new account.

That equipment that is there now likely
Can it be used.
i was told by a rep today after explaining the situation. i admit i was curious. he did say it was tied to the last person that used it and it wasn't my problem. i had told him it was activated 2 times he responded that should have never happened since they have to do stuff to make it work for the new customer and take it off the old persons acct blah blah blah... he told me that i could toss the genie and the mini's in the trash it's not my problem :D.

Do you worry about if the HS-17 goes out you can’t watch TV?
NOPE!!! why should i be :what . we all know what it's like when we call into customer service the first thing out of there mouths is have you rebooted the boxes!!! then they start scheduling a tech to come out and look to see what's going on. no common sense to look and see if it's something on there end aka the uplink center and stuff like that..

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts