Couple of FTA projects for electronic builders

Status
Please reply by conversation.

N0QBH

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 13, 2006
Central MN
These are a couple of PIC electronic projects I designed and use in my FTA system as needed.
The first is a in-line coax mounted polarotor servo power supply/controller.
It's meant to interface new digital receivers to the polarity controls on C / Ku BUDs.
The other project is a 2A capable Diseqc 2 port switch.
I don't sell kits, just give away ideas...:rolleyes:

http://www.ringolake.com/pic_proj/satellite/adj_skew_coro.htm

N0QBH said:
These are a couple of PIC electronic projects I designed and use in my FTA system as needed.
The first is a in-line coax mounted polarotor servo power supply/controller.
It's meant to interface new digital receivers to the polarity controls on C / Ku BUDs.
The other project is a 2A capable Diseqc 2 port switch.
I don't sell kits, just give away ideas...:rolleyes:

http://www.ringolake.com/pic_proj/satellite/adj_skew_coro.htm

I love ideas and you have got some killer projects .

Thanks for posting them and very nice work. :)

KJ4EUC

Thanks for posting that link. I love doing projects when I got time.

Thanks! I was thinking of something very similar to go with the Corotor that is on my wish list :p

I wonder if the RF passthrough performance of the servo controller would be better if you hacked up a splitter or multiswitch instead of having those long wires hanging out in free space between the two F connectors. Hopefully someday I will be able to try it and find out...

Some old LNBs need more than 13 volts to operate reliably.
Usually, modern non-commercial LNBs are okay.
Just something to verify on a case-by-case basis. :)

Added some builders notes to the download file packs. Sources for parts and the like.
Now it would be neat if someone in the pcb layout world could show off their stuff...

Mike, thanks for this information. I'll be building one during the winter months and will let you know how it turns out. Again, thanks for your efforts... Ed.

Here's a couple of photos of the servo controller connected to a C band feed horn and a current meter in line.
Looking down the throat of the feed horn shows the angle of the probe antenna.
This photo shows the skew adjusted 35 degrees from default of -45.
polarotor_h2.jpg
Turning the knob gives up to 90 degrees of skew if needed.
polarotor_v2.jpg

Last edited:
Hi all.
Very nice projects indeed.
It is years now that i try to solve the problem without success.
Excuse me if my request seems pretensious but last summer i had found another project using an "arduino board" and although i spent hours and hours i was not good enough to build a functioning object.
I was unable to find anybody available to help me to build it and am afraid the same will happen if i try again with the project you have offered.
I would love to try to build this servo controller but since my knowledge of electronics are limited (i am unable to completely "read" the schematics and fully understand them (i'm sufficiently good in "copying" from pictures- it would be very appreciated if you could post some more clear pictures of the two sites of the pcb board with components installed so that peaople like me may have more chances to understand the wiring and be helped in building the controller. Allow me to say that some additional basic info on the chip programming would also be welcome (which programmer, which software you advice - last time i programmed a chip was more or less 10 years ago and i forgot even the names of what was required)
antoniof

Antoniof,
You might be better off waiting for the fellow who turns my projects into finished items.
He usually makes pcbs for the project too.
I don't rush him as we are both hobbyists, but in the past, he has done great work very reasonably.
I will keep the group posted on it's progress.
Mike

Could a pre-programmed PIC also be made available?? I'm not a developer, just another hobbyist, that like to 'put things together' now and then. (not often enough enough to justify a programmer)

Heard from my builder friend and he says he will start on the basic polarotor servo controller project after New Years holidays.
This design isn't on my webpage yet, but will be soon. It's a super simple version of my other one without the LCD display and encoder input.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts