KE4EST

SatelliteGuys Is My Second Home
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 9, 2004
EM75xb
http://engineering.dartmouth.edu/~d30574x/projects/satellite_stand/sat_stand.html

sat_stand_1a.jpg

I've seen this picture before. Good idea however I wouldnt trust it since we get high winds in this area...

Cheers, K

Here in Iowa I go with a pole deep in concrete as I plan for having some freezing rain along with snow and high winds each winter and I really question whether that setup would last here in a hard winter or some of are summer storms.

It's comparable to a NPRM.
The four 5' pipes pounded into the ground take the place of a bunch of cement blocks.

Linuxman used to have 4 - 5 BUDs on his roof, all on NPRMs.
I specifically recall a solid and a perf Birdview, and at least one 10'er.

When considering a similar idea, I had one overriding thought:
"Keep it LOW!". ;)
That way the winds exert less leverage on the pole.

I would be more concerned about the use of lumber, and placing it exposed on the ground.
Linuxman had his NPRMs welded up out of angle iron, and situated on a nice clean roof.

I asked Linuxman if he had anything between the metal NPRM and his commercial flat roof:
> ok, IIRC, there were 6 cband dishes on NPRMs on the roof with a 7th hanging off the side of the building
> nothing under the mounts, and nothing ever damaged the roof
> there were 7 ku dishes on the roof on NPRMs too, with nothing under them
> that's not counting what was on the ground
Yea, I recall 1..2 more BUDs, and... well, you get the point: he had a FLEET! :)

I use two railroad ties for one 8' dish. They are mostly buried in the dirt and are quite stable. Reason I went that route was that the best place to put the dish was right over a buried power line. It's the one in my avatar.
-C.

That's how my 32' TV tower was installed years before I bought this place. The outriggers are made of steel instead of wood. Still standing and still useable after 30 years.

Cham & Cadsulfide -
if you want to add some pictures, I think it would add greatly to this thread. ;)

And if anyone has experience with big metal NPRMs on ground which may get wet, I'd like to hear.
On dirt? Raised on paving stones? Raised on cinder blocks?
If it's ON the ground, not IN the ground, the city can stick it ...
Was thinking of using one from a 6' Prodelin for an 8' perf.

Yes we love pictures

Cham & Cadsulfide -
if you want to add some pictures, I think it would add greatly to this thread. ;)

And if anyone has experience with big metal NPRMs on ground which may get wet, I'd like to hear.
On dirt? Raised on paving stones? Raised on cinder blocks?
If it's ON the ground, not IN the ground, the city can stick it ...
Was thinking of using one from a 6' Prodelin for an 8' perf.
Get some 3/4 inch crusher run ,make a slightly elevated pad,compact it and go to town.

My big question is with the limited number of big dishes available would someone really want to risk damaging or having it destroyed if that setup should fail. Maybe with a 6 foot dish as that size could at least be replaced, but not an 8 footer or larger as the cost would be outrages.

Just looked through the pictures of that dish, none really show the base very well. Should have thought of that when I set it up but I was in a hurry as usual and didn't think of getting out the camera.

The dish is spun aluminum so it's not very heavy, maybe 40Lbs plus the mount. The pole is square and mounted to the base using 4 6"X5/8" bolts. The base is made of 4 4' long 2X4 metal tubes mounted to a center hub. There are 3/4" holes drilled at the ends of the tubes. I leveled two railroad ties parallel oriented north/south to center on the holes in the base supports. I drilled into the RRties and used large lag bolts to attach. So far I haven't needed to adjust the pole for level after the initial install. Also note that I mounted the dish a bit farther back on the ties so the load would be centered.

Hope that explanation draws a picture for you! :)

-C.

I'm going to try this with a 7.5 footer.

More stable than what I did with a hole in the ground for my 10'. I have 2 SuperDISHes on portable mounts of which I take them to my grandma's for a few days and keep her neighbors guessing.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)