Court tv?

I have no tolerance for these companies making programming changes without any warning. First time, sure, maybe they'll learn and not do it again, but this is far from the first time with Dish doing this to it's customers. Reminds me of the XMLM fiasco! That was XM's get out of jail free card. :eek:

Tell that to the TWC subscribers in Columbus, OH! There was a big mess with the ABC station there that nearly ran into ESPN!

See ya
Tony

TWC was going to drop ABC and FOX from the Aldephia subscribers on 1/1 because of a disagreement. Could you imagine all those Buckeyes not being able to see the Championship game on the 8th. They just announced that the new date has been pushed to 1/12.

Turner Broadcasting said Court TV lost distribution on EchoStar’s Dish Network platform Monday after the programmer and No. 2 U.S. satellite provider couldn’t agree on terms for a new carriage agreement.

The feed for Court TV was pulled at 12:01 ET Monday morning, resulting in a loss of about 12 million subscribers for Court TV, which Turner took over in May.

“We were unable to reach an agreement with EchoStar and, as a result, we had no choice but to discontinue their carriage of Court TV. They were unwilling to pay the standard industry rate for a popular network that is currently ranked in the top 20,” Turner officials said in a prepared statement issued Monday. “We are disappointed with their decision, and hope that we can reach resolution, but in the meantime, our cable operator partners and DirecTV are able to provide this network to Court TV fans.”

Turner parent Time Warner paid $735 million in cash in May for Liberty’s 50% stake in Court TV. Time Warner already had owned half of the network.

Dish is good for their HD package. Anything else you should stick with your local cable company. I have Comcast for my full programing and Dish for HD Package.
Make the right choice and switch to cable. No more worries about stations beeing dropped. Local stations available in HD. On Demand Movies. What else can you ask for?
That depends on your Comcast market and Dish programming package. To get the same equivalent channels on Comcast would cost me nearly 50% more than it does on Dish. At least on our Comcast system, most of the channels I watch, except for the locals, are in Comcasts digital cable package that requires the upgrade, receiver lease rentals, etc.

Frankly, I am glad Dish plays hardball with the programmers. That's why Dish's rate increase is less than 5% for many subscribers compared to the 10% or more that most cable companies are raising.

I fully support ala carte programming. Then subscribers can make the choice on rate increases instead of having to rely on the carriers. Personally, I don't watch CourtTV and would resent my rates going up because CourtTV jacked theirs.

I really like that now instead of dropping the channel completely from the guide, they replace the programming with something simmilar.

I never watch court Tv anyways, and if I didn't read about it here or on the DISH Network retailer website I would never know it was missing.

But I guess by removing it the way they did it elimates alot of the customers calling to complain who never watch it since its not very obvious the channel has been removed.

I really like that now instead of dropping the channel completely from the guide, they replace the programming with something simmilar.

I never watch court Tv anyways, and if I didn't read about it here or on the DISH Network retailer website I would never know it was missing.

But I guess by removing it the way they did it elimates alot of the customers calling to complain who never watch it since its not very obvious the channel has been removed.

Yep - my wife has been enjoying the Murder She Wrote marathon all day! As far as she is concerned, she hopes it is permanent!:)

Future announcement: Great news!!! We have Court TV back and you only have to pay $10/month more starting in February. You will also be getting several new foreign language stations you will have no interest in, or be able to understand.

That depends on your Comcast market and Dish programming package. To get the same equivalent channels on Comcast would cost me nearly 50% more than it does on Dish. At least on our Comcast system, most of the channels I watch, except for the locals, are in Comcasts digital cable package that requires the upgrade, receiver lease rentals, etc.

Frankly, I am glad Dish plays hardball with the programmers. That's why Dish's rate increase is less than 5% for many subscribers compared to the 10% or more that most cable companies are raising.

I fully support ala carte programming. Then subscribers can make the choice on rate increases instead of having to rely on the carriers. Personally, I don't watch CourtTV and would resent my rates going up because CourtTV jacked theirs.
I am with you on a la carte....I get pretty tired of having to deal with the packaging issue with soem customers...I also would like to be able to choose which programming I would like to buy...
Many broadcasters and programming producers are opposed to this because there are som nay niche channels thta very few people watch that are packaged with far more popular chs..The producers say these chs would go away..I say, so what.. Why the hell should we as subscibers be forced to pay for a satellite channel welfare program?...I gotta go into my pocket so soembody can get their fix of the friggin Baby Channel or Oxygen?.....I am firm believer in user fees..If one wishes to watch it let them pay for it..I shouldn't have to subsidize programming I have no interest in..

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, I do not watch the channel and I do support DISH in fighting the rediculous prices from these providers, but there has got to be some type of warning instead of just yanking the feed. Imagine if this happened with a more popular channel right before some huge TV event, then everyone would be ticked.

Dish is good for their HD package. Anything else you should stick with your local cable company. I have Comcast for my full programing and Dish for HD Package.
Make the right choice and switch to cable. No more worries about stations beeing dropped. Local stations available in HD. On Demand Movies. What else can you ask for?

umm, yeah, no! Just because Dish drops a channel I never watch I am supposed to go to cable? I think not. Cable is a joke! Dish does just fine by me and I will not miss this Court-TV channel any more than I would miss Fox-News if they dropped it!

I have no tolerance for these companies making programming changes without any warning. First time, sure, maybe they'll learn and not do it again, but this is far from the first time with Dish doing this to it's customers. Reminds me of the XMLM fiasco! That was XM's get out of jail free card.

I agree.... of course they didn't want to give notice, they were trying to post pone the complaints as long as they could. I bet they are rolling in now and I am one of them.

I signed an 18 month agreement with dish thinking that I am going to have the channels I signed up for. Guess thats not the case, dish hasn't fulfilled their end of the bargain and there is nothing I can do since I have to fill out the agreement.

Tell that to the TWC subscribers in Columbus, OH! There was a big mess with the ABC station there that nearly ran into ESPN!

See ya
Tony

That mess with ABC and Time Warner Cable in Columbus also affected Fox local as Sinclair is fighting with time warner over rates... Both the local Fox and ABC stations almost got yanked dec31st but Sinclair agreed to let TW hang on to talks for a few more weeks not to affect football games etc.. So... Charlie is not the only one who plays hardball, the cable operators do too!

Ofcourse this is off topic but here in Columbus, Time Warner and Sinclair have been fighting for years over fox and Abc in HD.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, I do not watch the channel and I do support DISH in fighting the rediculous prices from these providers, but there has got to be some type of warning instead of just yanking the feed. Imagine if this happened with a more popular channel right before some huge TV event, then everyone would be ticked.
Everyone is quick to blame DISH for this, but fault lies with both E* and CourtTV. CourtTV could just as easily put a notice on their website about talks breaking down with Dish. Did they? Apparently not, yet they had time to prepare and schedule commercials to air on CNN slamming DISH.

The bottom line is that both companies apparently were negotiating down to the wire, each hoping the other would "give". That didn't happen and the existing contract expired. If a last-minute compromise could have been reached, no one would be the wiser and neither company would have to deal with fallout - it was gamble both companies were apparently willing to take.

Perhaps the answer would be for E* and other providers to post contract expiration dates on their website - that way you would know when you *might* lose programming and be able to prepare accordingly. Of course that will happen right after Charlie offers existing subscribers better deals than new subscribers, DISH upgrades everyone to HD for free, and new features/promos are *released* BEFORE they are even announced! ;)

That would require satelite co's to provide subs with contract information..That's not gonna hapen..Besides if we knew ahead of time, what could we possibly do about it?

LIFETIME all over again. Lifetime dropped the program that I usually watch--Unsolved Mysteries--only to put it on Lifetime for Real Women, which DISH does not get.

Now, another "Crime Watcher' channel -- Court TV. Do we have the mob controlling these channels or what?

No, two millionaires playing with us all like little figures as their toys.

I called DISH and got a $2.00 credit for losing Court TV, but here's my question that I posed to them:

Can we get Court TV via NPS broadcast from DISH--just like the DNS?

If NPS can use DISH for those locals, what about these channels we can't get from DISH--LRW and COurt TV?

This is sooo tiresome--whether the problem is from DISH or Court TV--very, very tiresome.

I am with you on a la carte....I get pretty tired of having to deal with the packaging issue with soem customers...I also would like to be able to choose which programming I would like to buy...
Many broadcasters and programming producers are opposed to this because there are som nay niche channels thta very few people watch that are packaged with far more popular chs..The producers say these chs would go away..I say, so what.. Why the hell should we as subscibers be forced to pay for a satellite channel welfare program?...I gotta go into my pocket so soembody can get their fix of the friggin Baby Channel or Oxygen?.....I am firm believer in user fees..If one wishes to watch it let them pay for it..I shouldn't have to subsidize programming I have no interest in..

I have no doubt a lot of "niche" channels would vanish overnight -- probably even some that I watch and enjoy, but I can live with that. Niche programming tends to vanish without much notice anyway because there is not sufficient audience to support it.

IMHO, I think the FCC, Congress and just about everyone else has the whole "competition" thing backwards. If you want true competition, make the "content" the focus. The carrier is nothing more than a delivery service anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)