Court tv?

Contracts come due at different times for different providers, so DISH is not being singled out. In a month or 2 DirecTv may be in the same situation. When DISH does get a deal, I doubt it will expire Jan 1, 2008.

Dish is good for their HD package. Anything else you should stick with your local cable company. I have Comcast for my full programing and Dish for HD Package.
Make the right choice and switch to cable. No more worries about stations beeing dropped. Local stations available in HD. On Demand Movies. What else can you ask for?

how about anoutrageous sbill fcrom the cable company? that's what you'll get fcor it. Not worth it. Atleast Dish tries to hold down costs. Def not the cable company.

Dish is good for their HD package. Anything else you should stick with your local cable company. I have Comcast for my full programing and Dish for HD Package.
Make the right choice and switch to cable. No more worries about stations beeing dropped. Local stations available in HD. On Demand Movies. What else can you ask for?
Sadly, some of us live in an area where there not only is no cable but no choice of satellite companies either. Dish Network only one that goes to that area. May be time to move.

Dish needs to clear this up and fast. This is getting old, where they play games until someone gives.

Hey DISH! Your damn rates are going up, I better have my CourtTV back and soon.

And I've never met anyone that buys wrestling PPV's but I know they're out there. :D

You sure? Perhaps you're just imagining things. It certianly isn't worth getting upset about loosing. It'll be back. Every other channel that Dish stopped carrying do to an increase came back after a settlement that was reached. Please name one that wasn't brought back. I'm personally gladd that they've challenged every increase. Even when we lost some Viacom channels which included my local CBS station.

Ron

Turner Pulls Court TV from Dish Satellite Service

By Jon Lafayette
Turner Broadcasting blocked EchoStar Communications' Dish service from carrying the Court TV network in a dispute over carriage fees, prompting the satellite-television company to call Turner's rate demands unreasonable.

Story continues below...

Turner, the Time Warner unit that holds networks including CNN and TBS, pulled Court TV off Dish at 12:01 ET Monday because EchoStar was unwilling to pay the standard industry rate for the channel, Turner said in a statement Monday.

"We were unable to reach an agreement with EchoStar and, as a result, we had no choice but to discontinue their carriage of Court TV," Turner said. "They were unwilling to pay the standard industry rate for a popular network that is currently ranked in the Top 20. We are disappointed with their decision, and hope that we can reach resolution, but in the meantime, our cable operator partners and DirecTV are able to provide this network to Court TV fans."

Turner's decision to pull Court TV puts it among cable networks that have suspended signals to pay-TV services during contract disputes in order to put pressure on distributors. EchoStar, whose Dish service is the second-biggest satellite-TV service behind DirecTV, argues that it's being asked to pay more than cable operators, including those owned by Time Warner.

"We are working hard to negotiate a fair contract with Turner Networks and Court TV," said Eric Sahl, senior vice president of Programming for EchoStar's DISH Network in a statement Tuesday. "But we must also protect our customers from unreasonable demands. It is not fair to ask our customers to pay a DBS premium for a channel owned by the second largest cable operator, Time Warner."

Court TV was acquired by Time Warner during 2006 and was folded into the media company's Turner Broadcasting unit.
Source: tvweek.com

I watched it when I still had D* I really liked parco PI and some of the other shows....however I don't miss it now that I am saving $60 a month not paying for D*

I didnt even know courtv was still in business. Watched 5 minutes of it once... 4 minutes of lame commercials and a minute of something so utterly bad I felt an overpowering urge to scrub my eye sockets with a Brillo pad soaked in Tang.

By Jon Lafayette
Turner Broadcasting blocked EchoStar Communications' Dish service from carrying the Court TV network in a dispute over carriage fees, prompting the satellite-television company to call Turner's rate demands unreasonable.

That settles it - CourtTV dropped DISH!!!! Pay attention all those who are criticizing E* for "dropping" CourtTV!!!!

EchoStar, whose Dish service is the second-biggest satellite-TV service behind DirecTV, argues that it's being asked to pay more than cable operators, including those owned by Time Warner.

"We are working hard to negotiate a fair contract with Turner Networks and Court TV," said Eric Sahl, senior vice president of Programming for EchoStar's DISH Network in a statement Tuesday. "But we must also protect our customers from unreasonable demands. It is not fair to ask our customers to pay a DBS premium for a channel owned by the second largest cable operator, Time Warner."

GO DISH!!! There is no way that DBS users should have to pay a higher price than cable users. That is unfair competition and all the more reason why the carriers need to be seperated (divested) from the content providers/programmers.

I am not a big Charlie fan and have plenty of issues with E* that I am unhappy about, but in this case, I support E* all the way! Please redirect your anger to Time Warner and Court TV and DEMAND that they give E* the same deal they give the cable companies! !protest

TURNER NETWORKS PULLS COURTTV FROM DISH NETWORK™

Turner Network’s Unreasonable Demands to Renew Carriage of CourtTV
Results in Loss of Service to DISH Network Customers

DISH Network’s contract with Turner Networks expired Dec. 31, 2006. Consequently, at 10:00 p.m. MT on Dec. 31, 2006, Turner Networks ceased delivery of CourtTV to DISH Network customers. DISH Network deeply regrets the disruption of service. Over the past several months, DISH Network diligently tried to reach an agreement with Turner Networks for continued carriage of CourtTV. Dish Network offered to carry CourtTV in America’s Top 120 package, which reaches approximately 75% of Dish Network’s domestic subscribers. Unfortunately, Turner Networks refused to deliver a reasonable offer for carriage in America’s Top 120 package that fairly reflected CourtTV’s overall ratings performance and value. Their response was to demand more than a 70% increase in rates.

“We are working hard to negotiate a fair contract with Turner Networks and CourtTV,” said Eric Sahl, senior vice president of Programming for EchoStar’s DISH Network. “But we must also protect our customers from unreasonable demands. It is not fair to ask our customers to pay a DBS premium for a channel owned by the second largest cable operator, Time Warner. We take pride in offering consumers the best value for pay TV service in the industry, and we remain committed to keeping our cost structure low to the benefit of our customers.”

In the meantime, DISH Network is offering customers a free preview of Biography, a channel which broadcasts high quality content often requested by DISH Network customers.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Who made the decision to take away CourtTV from Dish Network customers?
“Turner Network ceased the delivery of CourtTV to Dish Network subscribers as of 10:00pm MT on December 31, 2006, the exact time DISH Network’s contract with Turner Networks expired. Turner Network’s unreasonable demands to renew CourtTV, resulted in the loss of service to DISH Network customers. DISH Network deeply regrets the disruption of service, but prior to the loss of CourtTV, Turner Networks refused to a reasonable offer extension to continue to broadcast this channel to our customers.”

Where can I get similar programming to what was on Court TV?

“We are happy to provide you some great alternative programming on the Biography Channel. Biography Channel will be provided as an additional benefit for our customers. Additionally, similar programming to what Court TV has is available on A&E which airs shows like CSI Miami, Cold Case Files and Dog the Bounty Hunter, as well as, TNT which airs Law & Order, X-Files, Cold Case and Without a Trace. In addition, popular news stations that cover important trials such as FOX News Channel, CNN and MSNBC are included in many of our programming packages. CourtTV’s programming content is violent in nature and consists of a preponderance of syndicated reruns of content which is owned or sold by CourtTV’s corporate parent.”

When will Court TV be available again/when will you come to terms with the programmer?
"We can’t guarantee a date when Court TV will be available again, at this time. However, in the past with other networks, we have a successful track record of being able to come to terms with the programmer and bring back the impacted channels. We are dedicated to negotiating for contracts to provide you the lowest cost while operating within rules and regulations of federal & state laws. We will notify you as soon as Court TV is available again.”

That settles it - CourtTV dropped DISH!!!! Pay attention all those who are criticizing E* for "dropping" CourtTV!!!!

GO DISH!!! There is no way that DBS users should have to pay a higher price than cable users. That is unfair competition and all the more reason why the carriers need to be seperated (divested) from the content providers/programmers.

I am not a big Charlie fan and have plenty of issues with E* that I am unhappy about, but in this case, I support E* all the way! Please redirect your anger to Time Warner and Court TV and DEMAND that they give E* the same deal they give the cable companies! !protest

Turner says that E* doesn't want to pay the standard industry rate (not saying that it's more or less then cable) while E* says that Turner wants to charge more then cable to E* (but how does E* know what the cable companies are paying, I thought that info is usually kept secret). So unless both companies start to publish who is paying what you can't believe with either companies PR department is saying about where the blame needs to go.

So unless both companies start to publish who is paying what you can't believe with either companies PR department is saying about where the blame needs to go.

I respectfully disagree. Your point about the PR spin is well taken, but as for placing blame, one thing is undisputed - CourtTV pulled the plug, NOT Dish. This is an important fact since most of the negative posts on this subject have assumed Dish dumped CourtTV. :)

COURT TV is a great channel!

I'm surprised to hear of someone who does NOT like Court TV. Like any channel, they have some programming I am not interested in but they have excellent scientific forensic documentaries. It's not all about shows like COPS and/or trials, there are some great in-depth news coverage I haven't seen on other channels. I'm sorry to hear you didn't like it but don't assume we all feel the same way because I miss it and hope it returns very soon!

I am a trial hound. Court TV is always on in my office if the trial is live and interesting. The rest of this post I will leave in the FTA forum.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)