Crazy PS3 Question

hbk409

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 12, 2005
LI,NY
So I was thinking about the PS3, and all the things it could currently do and the thing it is supposed to be capable of being able to do in the future. Then a thought occured to me, is it possible via a firmware upgrade to make the ps3 play hddvds and make it a dual format player? They said when it was first released and everyone was having issues with some of the 720p games getting downconvert to 480p on some of the older 1080i only tv sets. And they were able to correct that via a firmware, since blu-ray and hdddvd use the same blue diode, wasnt hdddvd originally supposed to be red? Could sony if they start to lose the war make the ps3 a dual format movie player and continue making the games on blu-ray? Has anyone even tried to play an hddvd in their ps3 just for to see what would happen, would it read the disc?

...is it possible via a firmware upgrade to make the ps3 play hddvds and make it a dual format player?
Not using the built-in BD drive.Even if only for one reason: HD and BD have different OPUs (optical pick-up unit) due to different focusing distance (0.6mm vs. 0.1mm in HD and BD, respectively). There are probably other differences on the DSP/chipset level.

You could make the 360 add-on work (it uses an USB connection). In theory, at least.
But the playback software in the PS3 would have to be rewritten and I don't think Sony would allow that. At least not at this time.

Diogen.

Not using the built-in BD drive.Even if only for one reason: HD and BD have different OPUs (optical pick-up unit) due to different focusing distance (0.6mm vs. 0.1mm in HD and BD, respectively). There are probably other differences on the DSP/chipset level.

Diogen.

How does the dual player from lg work? Isnt it possible that sony used the same type of unit and just needs update with software? or could they come up with a program to manipulate the focusing distance via an update? Has anyone tried pluging the 360 hddvd drive into the ps3?

edit: if people have xp running on thier ps3 how would sony stop you from running the 360hddvd play if you could run that through xp?

Has anyone tried pluging the 360 hddvd drive into the ps3?
I don't think PS3 suports external optical drives.
There is this remote possibility
- if Sony follows up on its promise of making the PS3 a media device;
- if external hard drive storage will be allowed
- if high bitrate VC1/H.264/MPEG-2 DRM-less streams will be played back
than you might be able to rip an HD-DVD (removing AACS protection),
put it on a hard drive, attach to PS3 and play it (BD and HD use different
spec streams, but that might be able to work around).

As long as audio watermarking is not implemented, this might work.

But this sounds already more like "making it work because it can be done".

Diogen.

...Did they ever end up making a VHS player? :rolleyes:
Of course, one day they might make PS3 drive read HD.
If BD dies, if HD lives and if Sony is still around... Big if's.

Doing it right now would be a bit... embarassing?

As soon as PS3 was released, there was a detailed review of its internals. It had a BD-only OPU.

Diogen.

Amir from AVS made the following statement here
AVS Forum - View Single Post - Industry Insiders Master Q&A thread III: ONLY Questions to Insiders
Now, since Sony BD drive may be capable of reading HD DVD, asking the question in reverse might have some value
smile.gif

Not clear what drive/player he's talking about...

Diogen.

Amir from AVS made the following statement here
AVS Forum - View Single Post - Industry Insiders Master Q&A thread III: ONLY Questions to Insiders

Not clear what drive/player he's talking about...

Diogen.

thats interesting kind of supports my theory a little bit, maybe then. Wouldnt be something if you insert an hd into the ps3 and hold the square button or L2 or something on the remote to get hd dvds to play. nothing would surprise me at this point. has anyone tried a hddvd in the ps3?? I would but dont have any hddvd, try hitting different button combos on the remote as well maybe there is an unlock code.

I don't think he was talking about PS3...
Maybe a PC drive.

I don't have a PS3.

Diogen.

but we dont know for sure what he was talking about, im just saying hd dvd is written at the same depth as a standard dvd, just the data is packed closer together due to the blue laser correct. So if it can read dvd and bluray has anyone actually tried puting a hddvd into any bluray only player, hey if nobody tries you never know it may work. If you told it doesnt work and everyone goes along with it and never experiments we would never know for sure.

This is a big if -- if the PS3 can run linux and linux can be set up to do a virtual window then theoritically why not be able to run XP in the virtual window? You would probably not be able to run all the features of XP. WELL, what do you know. A programmer (looks to be Japanese) has done just that. Run XP in a virtual shell under Linux/QEMU. I don't see how this would be benificial as it must be real slow but it works?

TechEBlog » (Video) Windows XP Running on PS3

As for use of other optical devices, if someone writes a HD-DVD 360 driver for the PS3 under Linux then why would you not be able to hook up the XBOX360 HD-DVD player and run it thru the PS3 while booting under Linux? Can you not hook up the 360 HD -DVD player to a PC and run it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)