PS3 finally breaking even

Breaking even... before marketing and retail margins.

The cost stuff is good and certainly newsworthy, the inference that they're breaking even is an incorrect interpretation of the this news.

Also, if this is the cost of the parts to make the console, pack-ins would need to be considered too (or included in the marketing cost).

Well supposedly they just need to break even/slight loss just to get the console out so people will buy the games. Of course owning a studio helps too so that the consumer pays again when they buy movies.

Well supposedly they just need to break even/slight loss just to get the console out so people will buy the games. Of course owning a studio helps too so that the consumer pays again when they buy movies.

That's where $50 non-rumbling SIXAXIS controllers and 1st party $60 HDMI cables come into play.

Breaking even... before marketing and retail margins.

The cost stuff is good and certainly newsworthy, the inference that they're breaking even is an incorrect interpretation of the this news.

Also, if this is the cost of the parts to make the console, pack-ins would need to be considered too (or included in the marketing cost).

There are no retail margins on video game hardware. In fact, it's not unheard of for the wholesale prices to be higher than the MSRP. Retailers are expected to make the profit on software and accessories.

I think it was 800mil last qtr and 3-4 before. Im sure its over a bil.
couple Billion when you add it all up probably, then toss in a couple Billion in studio payoffs to Disney, FOX and the rest of the Sony tit sucklers. So a percieved victory in a war over 2% of the home movie market runs around 5 Billion? I wonder how long it will take to recoup that?

Yepp.

BUT, if you defeated DVD, you sitting in a great spot. Allegedly, they knew what they were doing in the ps3 and the pricing. We shall see.

Regardless, wars are not cheap :)

In 10 years theyll be taking our money on a movie download box and losing billions. :cool:
SO the real question is : was it worth 5 Billion to win a tiny niche market victory? (and screw the consumer out of a superior product along the way?)

SO the real question is : was it worth 5 Billion to win a tiny niche market victory? (and screw the consumer out of a superior product along the way?)

IMHO, no.

But, the superior marketing and strategy beats the superior product nowadays, something we all have to get used to.

Your concern for the money management of Sony is noted. I don't feel I was screwed out of a superior product. Your constant whining about Sony is silly already. Have they somehow made your life a hardship? Oh, and by the way, I am certain that the XBox hasn't had any difficulties, I can bareley find a soul that hasn't been through more than one, that had to cost something. I am sure the execs at Sony are in real anguish. Dude, they are laughing like hell! You think they had to go without this last month? Think that their mortgages aren't being paid?

Your concern for the money management of Sony is noted. I don't feel I was screwed out of a superior product. Your constant whining about Sony is silly already. Have they somehow made your life a hardship? Oh, and by the way, I am certain that the XBox hasn't had any difficulties, I can bareley find a soul that hasn't been through more than one, that had to cost something. I am sure the execs at Sony are in real anguish. Dude, they are laughing like hell! You think they had to go without this last month? Think that their mortgages aren't being paid?
IF you wanna fight go to the war zone.

IF you wanna fight go to the war zone.

No fight here. Just tired of (as so many are) your sore losing attitude. You were behind HD DVD, you lost the damn war. I know, just like in an election you stand behind your politician. But the election is over, gripe to your hearts content, but it is falling on deaf ears. I don't give a damn how you feel about Sony anymore. We all have heard it 100 times, its old and boring, get over it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)