credit card needed???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

shadow316

Original poster
Mar 13, 2006
Hello im interested in signing up for dtv but just wondered if a credit card is required to sign up if the startup cost is $0..i just want an hd receiver no dvr so it would be free with the online deal..

Using a CC (or bank acct debit card) provides other things; credit check, proof of age and address, ability to bill you once you get past the freebies. IF you do not have a CC of any type, you likely need to call into the 800# and discuss your options.

ok

ya i just wanted to mail my payments in, but they just want a ssn for the credit check..i dont know guess ill call and see

ya i just wanted to mail my payments in, but they just want a ssn for the credit check..i dont know guess ill call and see
You can still mail in your payment ,but Directv requires a credit or debt card ,so when you cancel your service,and don't give back your recievers ,they have a chance to charge you for them.

just read this *Offers end 6/24/2008 and are based on approved credit; credit card required. Credit card not required in MA & PA

i am from pa so does that mean im good then?

ok i called and they said a prepaid would be good..but one last question..do they bill you your first months bill right away or can you wait as id like to mail my payments in..again my startup cost will be $0

Shadow - in PA you can use a check to make the payment. Again the credit card / check is used to be on file if you do not return a piece of equipment (non return fee) or ETF (early termination fee). Typically Directv gives you one billing period to voluntarily make a payment.

from their website : Go to bottom of page, click on Additional Offer Details>

Read the POPUP legalese.
Then, if you think you have understood it all, re-read it because you will have missed something!

*esp the part about "if you don't call and cancel all the movie channels and extras by the 12th month--it will automatically extend and continue at the THEN current price.

I'm done with contract-tv myself, but if you really want it-best wishes.

In PA you do not have to provide directv with a credit card of anytype to get service. When i signed up i gave no shuch thing nor did i give them an electronic check to get service. The csr even said since i was in Pa i did not have to give them a cc number some other states are like that to. I didnt even have to give them s ss# I had no credit check ran on me when i signed up in december.

Mr Charper it was a statement of personal opinion, as all these posts are. I am not an employee of any pay-tv service, but I am a former customer of both major US satellite service providers.

ya i was aware of the terms but still the same im paying for twc after the year is up with 3 times more hd channels, so time for a switch

just read this *Offers end 6/24/2008 and are based on approved credit; credit card required. Credit card not required in MA & PA

i am from pa so does that mean im good then?
If your credit is good. Then you are ok! PA still does a credit check.I should say D* does a credit check. That determins what you pay upfront for programming. And I'm from Pa and when I got D* in 2003 I needed a credit card to pay for my equipment up front. So I'm not sure how PA can give you new service without a credit card. Dishnetwork same thing I needed a credit card to pay for my activation fee's.

FWIW

I'm in FL, signed up with them via phone last Nov. and they never asked me for a CC - nor a SSN, DoB.

All they asked for was name, address & phone, then what package I wanted. When I asked about billing, he said, "They'll mail you a bill to pay". I said, "OK!"

FWIW

I'm in FL, signed up with them via phone last Nov. and they never asked me for a CC - nor a SSN, DoB.

All they asked for was name, address & phone, then what package I wanted. When I asked about billing, he said, "They'll mail you a bill to pay". I said, "OK!"
Yea OK!:rolleyes: Utility company always give out services to customers without getting a SSN. NOT!! So your saying I could call D* right now Lie about my name and get service? Doubt it highly! What if I was an existing customer with a past due balance? Post the truth Please!

Yea OK!:rolleyes: Utility company always give out services to customers without getting a SSN. NOT!! So your saying I could call D* right now Lie about my name and get service? Doubt it highly! What if I was an existing customer with a past due balance? Post the truth Please!

What's your problem, Dude?! I said I called last Nov and they setup my account and all they asked for was; a name. address and phone number + package I wanted. They never asked for a SSN, DoB or any other personal info. As of today, I have not given them that info either.

If you can't believe that, I really don't give a F***. I only posted it to let the OP posted know that they don't always ask. Maybe my CSR was lazy. Maybe he was new, maybe he didn't give a sh*t, maybe he was "short-timing", etc.

If you expect me to post a copy of my paper bill along with a credit report history to PROVE that D* did not pull my history, then you need to really get a life! I have nothing to prove to you and I really don't NEED to make up stuff to post. If you don't like it, then move on - "nothing for you to see here"!

My experience with D* was that they set my account up with the basic info. Take that for what it's worth, hence the FWIW I posted!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)