Crimp or Compression "F" connectors

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

NR2D

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 17, 2005
Laurel Springs NJ
I had to replace my 2 cable runs from my 2 primary dishes week before last. Luckily I had ordered 500' of dual cable several years ago. Of course when I went to find my stash of "F" connectors as always I found just enough, 4, that I needed.

So that being the case I went on line and ordered 100 crimp type just to keep on hand. Now my question. I saw that there were the normal crimp type, which I ordered, and compression type, which I also ordered plus the correct tool for installation. All you installers out there which do you like better, crimp or compression? I played around with both on a spare pice of cable and the compression look pretty good.

At my location we are not allowed to use crimp connectors or leave them in the system if found. Automatic QAS fail.

I use only crimp connectors, and I don't like them. But hey, I bought a crimper a long time ago and it does work. All of the cables (interior only) have worked fine and never needed to be replaced.

So its not that they suck and don't work. They just suck but are not as good as Compression. Of course I have not personally used the compression tool, so I can't chime in on it.

IF you have the correct equipment and not a cheap stripper and crimper with an experienced (not the "i've been putting 20 on a year for 20 years) person, crimp is fine. For all other occasions, Compression has it.

In my line of work, Broadcasting... Compression is the way. Very simple and accurate to use. In my personal stash at home.. same thing. No crimps. BNC.. that's a different story.

Ditto

IF you have the correct equipment and not a cheap stripper and crimper with an experienced (not the "i've been putting 20 on a year for 20 years) person, crimp is fine. For all other occasions, Compression has it.

In my line of work, Broadcasting... Compression is the way. Very simple and accurate to use. In my personal stash at home.. same thing. No crimps. BNC.. that's a different story.

Same here. I don't have the comp tool to do it so I have stayed w/ the Hi-Q crimp that has silicon in it. But then I did go from doing Sat & club (as in the full install including lighting & sound w or w/o sat) install work to an eng at TV stations after getting a degree. Much prefer the later. L most of what a TV station is now is PC work.

At my location we are not allowed to use crimp connectors or leave them in the system if found. Automatic QAS fail.
same here. as are old style compression connectors.
We must use Thomas and Betts or PPC snap and seal typoe connectors.
Digicon are also a no no. Dish banned those conectors.
On service calls we are required to look over the entire install . If we find non spec parts we must replace them. All of them.
I went to a service call recently for a remote control issue. I ended up replacing about 20 connectors. 5 bucks out the window to replace connectors that were ok last year but not this year.

Definitely compression - crimp will work inside, but if you're buying a new tool, definitely get compression. Much easier to do, and much better of a connector, especially outside, as the waterproof ones are actually waterproof.

T&B are my favorite, but I use PPC more often as you can get them at Lowes/Home Depot. Usually I run out when I need them the most, and don't have time to wait for more to ship.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts