CS 8100 and VBOX

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hd fan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 1, 2009
Ontario
Ok I have been having problems with this combination. It works perfect with the CS 6000 though but with the 8100 sometimes for no reason the arm goes beyond the limits eventhoug the software limts are set.

Has someone been able to use this 8100 box with a VBox without the need of another slaved box?. I even reset the positioner but still it kept the sats positions therefore when I started to save them again it started with position 45 (there are only 60 available) instead of 1.

I understand that in Diseqc 1.2 some sats have predefined positions. But who has the predefined positions the VBOX or the Receiver? If the receiver then, Will both receivers have the same predefined positions?. I am assuming it is the VBOX (like a Stab motor has) but not sure now.

In other words I want to drive the Dish with the 8100 receiver instead of using either the VBOX remote's or the CS 6000 slaved. I will still use the CS 6000 slaved for blind scanning purpouses.

wow. you have a completely different problem than i do with my 8.1k / vbox. i can only seem to store 31 positions no matter what i do. ive tested it with a vbox 2 and a gbox 3000. what software are you using ? the only time the dish runs away is when i issue a goto reference command. it runs all the way to the hardware limit on one side. otherwise it works well.

crackt out,.

The 8100 and 8000 use to have software in them which limited the sat list to 31 sats
The newest (2025) dropped that option

crackt...which software do you have in yours?

I am running 2025A and also tried the last third party F version of the software. Both show the same issue. I have never used Go to Reference since reference is 0 therefore the arm will extend fully and then brake everything. I have not set the hardware limits yet only by software that is why I am so affraid of using this CS8100 for moving the dish. I am using the VBOX 2 BTW.

The annoying thing is, the VBOX does not erase all the sats position after a reset (but it erases the limits and restart on 1000 counts) therefore If I add a new position it starts on 47 or the last one so I am afraid it will get to the 60 limit. It is also funny that Ku version of the same sat has a different predetermined position and also for new ones it saves as a different one as well (although nice since most of the time the Ku position is a few clicks from the best C band position). I might end up renaming the sats with a number in front equal to the sat position on the Vbox and then use the positioner's remote to move the dish (now the full name feature on the GBOX 3000 suddenly becomes a nice feature eh? , this cubans!!! , lol).

Thanks for the replies BTW.

Iceberg , I am using the VBOX II not the GBox. I dont know exactly the cause of the problem. The thing is I have been using both stb , the 8100 and the 6000 conected to the positioner and noticed that although the 6000 works flawlessly the 8100 sometimes for no reason at all starts moving the dish beyond the east limit (my west limit is almost close to the hardware limit so no worry there) and in my case at some point beyond 30W it will hit the dish/bracket so I am concern.

Go to Reference commands like crackt posted make sense and maybe under some conditions the 8100 tries to drive the dish to the 0 Reference (fully extended) and then retract it to the proper position until it gets a signal (I always power down everything when I see it counting beyond my 445 east limit (a bit east of 55W)) so I can not comment if it is acctually trying to do that. The 6000 on the contrary always moves the dish to the proper location (well sometimes you have to move it a few clicks to peak signal but that is normal).

I just wanted to see if somebody else had that issue and how to solve it (other than using the positioner remote or the 6000 only to move the dish)

I tried setting the hardware limits on the 36" SuperJack arm but was affraid of braking something and decided not to. Do I have to set the far east limit with the arm disconnected off the Dish? or can I just drive it to where I want (53W is enough) and then rotate with a screwdriver the limit cam clockwise until it clicks? Even after reading the piece of paper that came with the actuator I am still not sure how to do it. I will read our FAQ to see if it clears my mind.

The 8100 and 8000 use to have software in them which limited the sat list to 31 sats
The newest (2025) dropped that option

crackt...which software do you have in yours?

ice i think we have had discussion on this before. im presently using 2025a but ive tested a bunch. no matter what i do (load the cleaner file and flash to whatever version) the most sats i can store is 31 when using diseqc 1.2 with the 8.1k. i then tested with the cs6k and it does not have this problem. i also find the 31 limit with both the vbox2 and gbox3k. im really not sure why the 31 sat limit is impregnated into my reciever.

I tried setting the hardware limits on the 36" SuperJack arm but was affraid of braking something and decided not to. Do I have to set the far east limit with the arm disconnected off the Dish? or can I just drive it to where I want (53W is enough) and then rotate with a screwdriver the limit cam clockwise until it clicks? Even after reading the piece of paper that came with the actuator I am still not sure how to do it. I will read our FAQ to see if it clears my mind.

leave the arm connected to the dish. drive the dish to ware you want the hardware limit set. loosen the screws and rotate the cam to trip the switch. you may need to fine tune this if you want to get close to binding. when i set my limits i use a cordless drill battery to move the dish while i am at it. saves a few steps or hauling a positioner outside.

crackt out,.

Thanks crackt. Will set the hardware limits to avoid problems then. BTW I have never used the cleaner file, what should have happened if cleaner is not used? I ask because I remember the channel list that I saved on the USB flashdrive does not seem to work , it loads but with no channels.

The cleaner file is only needed when you go backwards on the software...The CS8000/8100 wont let you go backwards on software files so you have to use the cleaner to start from scratch.

Finally set the hardware east limit (did not realize that I had to unscrew the small black plastic wheel, the manual does not mention it) but still the CS 8100 do crazy things out of the blue. Now that after stoirng the locatiion I always click on Move to Position it works better but still not flawless like the CS 6000. BTW now there are 2 positions named P03 at the VBOX II. 1 at 55W saved with the CS 6000 and the other one at 135W stored with 8100. therefore if I select 135W the dish moves all the way to 55 and then goes back to 135W , very annoying. I think the 8100 reached the sats limits and restarted the position numbers. still no idea what to do to solve the issue. The 6000 (is slaved off the 8100 that is connected to the VBOX II) works flawlessly.

well crackt I just noticed I have the same problem as you, only 31 positions are saved with the CS8100 (16F softw). I was using both CS boxes that is why I had close to 50 positions. but today restarted all again from 55 w and the last position , 31 was at 105W C band side . when i tried to store the position for the ku side , bum!! it did not stored a ny position . i tried again and then moved the dish all the way east but the hardaware limit thsi time stopped and now after sayng Er2 briefly , it reset the counter to 0.

I guess will have to restart again but this time with 2025A and see what happens. what a pia to use this cs 8100 as a diseqc 1.2 controller to move the BUD!!!.

the recalculate function on the cs 6000 does not shift EVERY sat position as it is supposed to only 1 at least with the vbox II. even the shift function on the vbox II did it apparently but at least the cs 8100 does not play well after that either. the cs 8100 has no shift or recalculate function at all.

I end up flashing to 2025A and then Storing every position again with the store funcion in the CS 8100 menu. still have not got to the 31 sats limits , will post tomorrow probably. wasting to much time on this already. the bell pvr is already full of recorded shows for me to watch lol.

well , crackt was right about the 31 sats limit with the CS 8100 no matter which firmware you have. I guess I will have to live with that limitation or use the cs 6000 as the controller.

Crackt , Have you tried editing the channel or sat list and then forcing the position numbers on it? if so , then which editor to use?.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts