CSN Philly saga could end - if DIRECTV and Dish agree to arbitration

Status
Please reply by conversation.

doublek97

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 20, 2006
From the 1/26/14 edition of the Philadelphia Inquirer:

"Comcast SportsNet has offered to go to arbitration with both of the satellite services with the hope that they will sign on soon to give Phillies fans the opportunity to tune in regardless of their service provider."

"When Comcast became a king of content as well as distribution by acquiring NBCUniversal, the FCC ordered program disputes to be settled via 'baseball-style arbitration,' an unusual process that makes an arbitrator pick one party's figure or the other's, no compromises allowed."

"So what is SportsNet worth? Like Comcast, the satellites won't discuss details, but it's clear that arbitration could put them at risk. SNL Kagan estimated in 2012 that Comcast's Washington SportsNet earned $4.02 per subscriber. Some reports say Comcast wants as much as $5 apiece for the Philadelphia version - near the high price tag for ESPN that leaves many of its counterparts complaining loudly about the exploding cost of TV sports."

How about arriving at a cost per subscriber FOR THOSE THAT WANT THE CHANNEL? Why can't it be a la carte, like HBO? Just thinking aloud....

From the 1/26/14 edition of the Philadelphia Inquirer:

"Comcast SportsNet has offered to go to arbitration with both of the satellite services with the hope that they will sign on soon to give Phillies fans the opportunity to tune in regardless of their service provider."

"When Comcast became a king of content as well as distribution by acquiring NBCUniversal, the FCC ordered program disputes to be settled via 'baseball-style arbitration,' an unusual process that makes an arbitrator pick one party's figure or the other's, no compromises allowed."

"So what is SportsNet worth? Like Comcast, the satellites won't discuss details, but it's clear that arbitration could put them at risk. SNL Kagan estimated in 2012 that Comcast's Washington SportsNet earned $4.02 per subscriber. Some reports say Comcast wants as much as $5 apiece for the Philadelphia version - near the high price tag for ESPN that leaves many of its counterparts complaining loudly about the exploding cost of TV sports."

How about arriving at a cost per subscriber FOR THOSE THAT WANT THE CHANNEL? Why can't it be a la carte, like HBO? Just thinking aloud....

They probably will only agree if it's on as low a tier as possible, that way the more they have that can see it, the more the dollar value rises.

I'd certainly pay extra just for the Comcast channel. It can't happen soon enough!

Would this have any effect on the other CSN channels that are missing? Like CSN-Portland, CSN-Houston, etc...

I know a ton of people who would switch to satellite if they carried CSN Philly. I'm sure it's the number 1 reason satellite doesn't have the penetration in this market it has in others.

Would that price per subscriber only apply to the folks that are in the philly market?With DTV's $3 sports surcharge,I could see it happening.Dish would probably balk.

CSN-Houston had a deal in place and the astros wanted more cash and or full basic level for there full team Zone. (other MLB teams / RSN's seem to be more open to being in sports pack / lower cost for outer rings)

CSN-NW basically a one team RSN that wants a high price.

CSN-Philly has some stuff like the TCN overflow use (that unlike all other CSN's comacst forces other systems to buy TCN to get the overflow games)

Now about arbitration at one time comcast was willing to trade NFT ST for CSN-Philly now what will happen if they go to arbitration with that as that may be a deal that directv does not have the power to make.

Comcast OFFERED? That's a joke. Comcast has no choice but to go to arbitration as a condition of the NBC Universal merger. I can't see DTV or Dish getting sucked into that.

Dish or Directv needs to buy a sports network in a major comcast territory and pull the same crap with them, and all this Bullsh!t with CSN Philly would come to an end real soon

I like this idea.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I don't understand why residents of the Philadelphia region simply don't switch to Fios if it's available to them. To heck with DirecTV and Comcast on this issue. I truly believe both are at fault.. DirecTV fighting for me as a consumer on this issue is for the birds. They still find a way to raise our rates every year, still make a tremendous profit, don't offer internet, and don't care to give the people of this city any way to watch local sports.. I don't live in the middle of Wisconsin or what have and only have sat as my only option and I'm glad for it.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I don't understand why residents of the Philadelphia region simply don't switch to Fios if it's available to them. To heck with DirecTV and Comcast on this issue. I truly believe both are at fault.. DirecTV fighting for me as a consumer on this issue is for the birds. They still find a way to raise our rates every year, still make a tremendous profit, don't offer internet, and don't care to give the people of this city any way to watch local sports.. I don't live in the middle of Wisconsin or what have and only have sat as my only option and I'm glad for it.
It is not necessarily residents of Philly though. Anyone who is considered "in-market" for this RSN but live in a "rural" area where cable or FIOS doesn't reach, is SoL if you are a philly sports fan (with the exception of Eagles). I know people who live close enough to town for DSL service, but Comcast cable service doesn't reach their home. So it's not just viewers in Philadelphia who are affected by the lack of CSN Philly on Satellite.

So, you WANT D* to play the extreme rates that Comcast is asking for the channel ?

And you expect your bill to NOT go up .... interesting.

I do. They are going to raise our rates either way. Fugg DirecTV and the people on the various msg boards that act like we should sniff their backside because they are always supposedly fighting the good fight for consumers.. They're not. Seems more like a tactic to help mods on msg boards get into their secret back-room CES goods. :)
I kid of course but it sure feels that way on some other boards.

I can't remember the last time Fios dropped any network let alone doing so and acting like they are doing their consumers a favor..

I simply want to see them give it to Philadelphians. I could care less about the rest of the nation honestly. Sorry..

Just Jack up rates for root sports since the pirates and penguin are locked to root sports for a while longer.

Directv or dish could just start their own sports network in Philadelphia and bid on the phillies contract when it comes up for renewal.

Heck, directv pays billions for NFL ticket, what's another 20 million or so to screw around with comcast.

20 million ain't nothing. Just take $1 from each customer for a month.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)