CSR Questioning a "Move"

dclboro

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 11, 2007
When making a "move" is there a best way to go about it when talking to a customer service representative? I have the 18 month agreement which includes the Dish Mover. I've been told that they will want to install a new dish at my "new" residence. How do I avoid this?

Also, I just mailed in my rebate forms for my new Dish subscription. The forms have my real address on them. Should I wait until they process before making my "move" to my new address? Thanks.

simple, just say that you are doing a "self" install and that I will be taking the equipment with me, and if they then still want to force you to get a new dish, then ask to speak with a supervisor, or hang up and call again.

Why so negative ThomasRz? I'm just looking for helpful advice, not smart remarks.

Why so negative ThomasRz? I'm just looking for helpful advice, not smart remarks.

Well you did basically ask, what is the best way to lie? "Moving" is a touchy subject. There are plenty of moving topics already though, especially one about moving itself. If you are ready to assume the responsibilities of moving, just tell them you moved recently and need to change your address, should not be a big deal. If they say dish mover, say you already moved, don't need it. thanks.

Which will tell them that you are a liar (and a fool).

Speaking of "fools", obviously you DON'T know that people every day move from a house with E*, to another house that ALREADY has an E* dish/wiring in place. (it obviously would be the same for a D* sub going to another house w/a D* dish in place) It really doesn't take a genius to disconnect their old receivers, take them to the new place, connect them back to the dish already there & ALREADY be up & working, all w/out needed a service visit. In the majority of the cases, as long as it's a D500 at the new place, everything will work for the new customers just as well as it did for the old ones. (unless you have prog that requires other types of dishes, obviously) The only part then needed, is to have their address changed on the account to the new place - it really is SO sinister, isn't it. :rolleyes: :p

dclboro - don't let all of the "NO-MOVER do gooders" (actually only about 1/2 dozen folks that just regurgitate the same stuff) around here bother you; us EVIL, LYING, BURN IN HELL MOVERS sure haven't all these years & probably won't anytime soon. :D :up
The only other thing I might add - make sure after you talk to the CSR, re-confirm with them that they left your billing address the same as it was before you changed the physical address. If you get on-line access to your account, you can confirm all of this yourself & even change the billing address as well. (you CANNOT change physical addys on-line)

Last edited:

Well, let's leave the ethical issue aside for a moment. The comment to which I was responding was

Originally Posted by dishrich
Or even better - just tell them you ALREADY moved & are using the ALREADY installed dish at your new place, which is working just fine...

Which will tell them that you are a liar (and a fool).

If your setup is already "working fine," then why would you be calling a CSR to do anything? If what is meant that all is fine except no local channels, it is a simple matter to ask you a few questions to determine that you are still receiving LIL from your "old" address. "Gee Mr. X, although you moved to Buffalo from Phoenix, I see you are still receiving Phoenix locals. You must have the new super duper dish 10000!" Now you have a big red sticker on your file. E* people are not as stupid as they sound. They know how the internals of their systems work and you would have to be smarter than the average bear to pull off a move IF they really wanted to test you.

Speaking of "fools", obviously you DON'T know that people every day move from a house with E*, to another house that ALREADY has an E* dish/wiring in place. (it obviously would be the same for a D* sub going to another house w/a D* dish in place) It really doesn't take a genius to disconnect their old receivers, take them to the new place, connect them back to the dish already there & ALREADY be up & working, all w/out needed a service visit. In the majority of the cases, as long as it's a D500 at the new place, everything will work for the new customers just as well as it did for the old ones. (unless you have prog that requires other types of dishes, obviously) The only part then needed, is to have their address changed on the account to the new place - it really is SO sinister, isn't it. :rolleyes: :p
so true. When I moved to my house, the lady that owned it before me had Dish so it was hook up recievers, rerun check switch and away we go (went from a SW21 setup to a Legacy quad)

dclboro - don't let all of the "NO-MOVER do gooders" (actually only about 1/2 dozen folks that just regurgitate the same stuff) around here bother you; us EVIL, LYING, BURN IN HELL MOVERS sure haven't all these years & probably won't anytime soon. :D :up

AMEN to that!

If your setup is already "working fine," then why would you be calling a CSR to do anything? If what is meant that all is fine except no local channels, it is a simple matter to ask you a few questions to determine that you are still receiving LIL from your "old" address. "Gee Mr. X, although you moved to Buffalo from Phoenix, I see you are still receiving Phoenix locals.
First, they can't tell if you're actually receiving the old locals. His account will obviously be set up for them but doesn't mean he's getting them. That leads to the next part:

Without knowing where the OP lives today and is "moving" to, he can't get reliable answers. If, using your examples, and I'll presume neither Buffalo nor Phoenix are on Conus beams, he would simply say "We moved from Buffalo to Phoenix last week and I just got my dish re-installed and re-aligned. I'm getting all of my regular programming but I'm not getting the local Phoenix channels. How do I fix that ?? Do you guys need to change something on my account ?? (playing dumb) I guess I thought since I was paying for local channels I'd get them wherever I was at."

Now, will his Buffalo channels still show up in the program guide but no programming is available ?? Well, since he really didn't move, yeah, they will. But, does he need to tell the CSR that they don't show up at all or they show up but no programs are available ??

If your setup is already "working fine," then why would you be calling a CSR to do anything? If what is meant that all is fine except no local channels, it is a simple matter to ask you a few questions to determine that you are still receiving LIL from your "old" address. "Gee Mr. X, although you moved to Buffalo from Phoenix, I see you are still receiving Phoenix locals. You must have the new super duper dish 10000!" Now you have a big red sticker on your file. E* people are not as stupid as they sound. They know how the internals of their systems work and you would have to be smarter than the average bear to pull off a move IF they really wanted to test you.

in the 3 times I "moved", never had a rep ask me about locals. I called in and said I moved and already have everything setup at the new location. I have X channel on (pick a channel that is in your package) so its up but I want to change my address.

Change address then either ask "do I keep the same locals as what I had" (most of the time, the rep is clueless and will say "yes") or just wait until done, hang up, go online to account and add the new locals. When I "moved" to get the neighboring DMA, they couldn't do it at the time. Went on line and added them and had locals in 15 minutes :)

Tommy is giving Dish CSR's more credit that they'll actually deviate off a sheet of questions. :)

When making a "move" is there a best way to go about it when talking to a customer service representative? I have the 18 month agreement which includes the Dish Mover. I've been told that they will want to install a new dish at my "new" residence. How do I avoid this?

Also, I just mailed in my rebate forms for my new Dish subscription. The forms have my real address on them. Should I wait until they process before making my "move" to my new address? Thanks.

You DO NOT need to move. Simply say that you want to change your service address and keep your billing address the same. It is as easy as that. If you do not use the word "move" ,you dont need a story. Actually you are not even lying. You want to change your service address, they want to change it.

First, they can't tell if you're actually receiving the old locals. His account will obviously be set up for them but doesn't mean he's getting them. That leads to the next part:

Wanna bet?

Without knowing where the OP lives today and is "moving" to, he can't get reliable answers. If, using your examples, and I'll presume neither Buffalo nor Phoenix are on Conus beams, he would simply say "We moved from Buffalo to Phoenix last week and I just got my dish re-installed and re-aligned. I'm getting all of my regular programming but I'm not getting the local Phoenix channels. How do I fix that ?? Do you guys need to change something on my account ?? (playing dumb) I guess I thought since I was paying for local channels I'd get them wherever I was at."

Well, if the intent of the move is to get new locals you're SOL (suddenly outta locals). Buffalo goes away and you can't physically get Phoenix. If you are trying to get a CONUS service only offered to Phoenix, it might work but what does the CSR think when you cannot get Phoenix locals? Your receiver knows what channels are hitting your antenna and that can be easily reflected in the location ID number. Now you can either read the correct number (indicating that you didn't move) or play hard to get (and be disconnected).

Now, will his Buffalo channels still show up in the program guide but no programming is available ?? Well, since he really didn't move, yeah, they will. But, does he need to tell the CSR that they don't show up at all or they show up but no programs are available ??

No more..

Your receiver knows what channels are hitting your antenna and that can be easily reflected in the location ID number.

Since when do they tell any dish CSR or Tech support rep what a location ID is much less tell them how to figure out what channels you are getting from a string of random numbers. The only chance that is even remotely possible is if you are talking to the audit department.. who i'm fairly certain you will not talk to when calling in.

Based on your comments, either you are the fool, or you are in the audit department and know something I dont.. which is it?

IF you call up and act suspicious and sound all meely mouth about your move , then yes the csr, unless they are brain dead, will suspect you are lying. When ever I have moved I call up the csr and say:

Hi I am so and so and I want to tell you my new service address. We just moved to * new address and I got my dish 1000.2 installed and I am getting all of my national channels , hd etc . My billing address and phone will stay the same as it was it is not changing. ONce they get my new address taken they usually say ; well you are eligible for * new address locals for 5.00 would you like them? Yes I would. You should have them in the next 15 minutes . Thankyou Goodbye.

I'm confident when I speak and I make sure they get my billing and new service address and phone number right and they turn on my locals and I'm all set. Done it several times and never a problem.

The context of a post is important. If you read what I wrote earlier you will see the the sentence:

They know how the internals of their systems work and you would have to be smarter than the average bear to pull off a move IF they really wanted to test you.

No, CSR's don't normally get into the details. However, I am sure that they profile (or have a profiling program). If you register high on the fraudometer, you will be transferred to a new "CSR" (who happens to be a skilled auditor). Of course if you are the type to connect a phone line, this is being done on an ongoing basis. The bottom line is that a customer cannot win if E* is determined to find out if he "moved." I suppose it is like tax audits - Willie Nelson is more likely to be selected than some 80 year old with nothing but Social Security. I am not in the audit department (nor any other). Whether or not I am a fool, I will let others decide. I certainly know something you don't (and I am sure the reverse is true).

Since when do they tell any dish CSR or Tech support rep what a location ID is much less tell them how to figure out what channels you are getting from a string of random numbers. The only chance that is even remotely possible is if you are talking to the audit department.. who i'm fairly certain you will not talk to when calling in.

Based on your comments, either you are the fool, or you are in the audit department and know something I dont.. which is it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)