CSR says -Receiver can't be sold or transferred, just toss in the trash

Status
Please reply by conversation.

REDANDBLACK

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 30, 2004
My neighbor just passed away, leaving me his very modest estate. I called D* to cancel his service and inquired if I could take his D10 transfer it to my account with a new access card.

She told no it couldn't be done and to just toss it in trash.

Anyone know if this proper D* procedure ?

if you have a current account yes you can add previously owned receivers to your account.

If you havent been a D* sub, forget it. They won't activate it

I just gave my sister 2 samsung receivers that had .They even used the access card that was in it.She has them both hooked up. Unless the receivers are tied to a current lease ,then they will not let you transfer them to anyone.

I have been with D* for almost 10 years.

I really didn't need it , but would have used it to replace one of my older receivers.

Maybe the throw it in the trash policy will change with the new ownership of D* .

I have been with D* for almost 10 years.

I really didn't need it , but would have used it to replace one of my older receivers.

Maybe the throw it in the trash policy will change with the new ownership of D* .

More likely it is the switch to leased equipment. They would rather lease you a newer receiver and lock you into a contract.

I had several SD rec's a few years back that I was going to give to a few a freind and we had it all set up and picture on 100 and all callled D* and they said NO I (they) could not do that, even thou back then they were not really into the new rec's (hd) all that much.
They ended up getting 2 Rca 435's, I had not even known that they had that model and I generally keep upon that type of stuff.

Anyways, after a we spent an afternoon looking for a location to place dish and then running into house and changing over the cables from cable to D* they said NO.
They about decided they didn't need D* and went back to cable .....
They eventually went with D*, but we were disappointed because I still have rec's sitting in the closet collecting dust .

They previously had no D* account, but D* failed to explain why it was that they could not do this.
btw, this was BEFORE they went with the lease set up.

Jimbo

I just looked at his bills and they say nothing on them about being under any 1 yr commitment time.He bought it almost two yrs ago.

I wonder how many old de-activated receivers are out there ?

I wonder if it had been a leased receiver if they would have wanted it back or just said toss it in the trash ?

I would just call and talk to another CSR. Sometimes you have to do that.

Interesting. I have a couple R15's and soon to be an HR10-250 that I own and was planning on selling. Does this mean that I can't sell them or just not tell the buyer about this? If I do sell them, should I remove the access card first?

Interesting. I have a couple R15's and soon to be an HR10-250 that I own and was planning on selling. Does this mean that I can't sell them or just not tell the buyer about this? If I do sell them, should I remove the access card first?

its a crap shoot with the access cards.....sometimes, they want you to purchase a new one, sometimes they don't.

as for selling, i always believe that honesty is the best policy.

They allowed me to replace my in-laws old rca receiver with my D10 when I upgraded to dvr a couple years back..I told them the inlaws were kinda confused with local channels being 900 or something like that on the old rca and my d10 used the actual channel numbers so they allowed it.

Bill

Just call and ask for the ACDT department. If your "adding" a used receiver to your account they will verify the account status of the used receiver (make sure it's not from an account in writeoff or past due) and send you a new access card overnight for $20. If your replacing one of your active older receivers with a used receiver from someone else, as long as your current access card is recent enough to work in the used box, they can just switch it over. Access cards are non-transferrable from one account to another (yes I know some ignorant CSRs do this when they're not supposed to) but as long as the used box is in good standing there is no problem with transferring it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)