currently have Philips 50" Plasma, problem with SD channels (HD channels are fine)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

fiddysheqel

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
i have cablevision IO HD, and about a year ago i got a Philips 50" Plasma (Model 50PF9431D/37). When viewing HD channels the picture is nice an perfect, but when viewing SD channels the quality is really bad. I have gone to my friends house who has the same system as me (except different brand tv) and their SD channels are much clearer than mine. furthermore, my cousin has a 63 inch phillips plasma and has the same problems as i do. is there any way to fix this? can anyone help me please?

any help would be appreciated

Please go into the menu and tell me the settings in the picture menu. Please list

Auto Picture
Contrast
Brightness
Color
Sharpness
Color Temp
Digital Processing
Dynamic Contrast
DNR
Color Enhancement
Tint
Pic Format
Active Control

I'm looking at a 37pf7320a/37b as I type this.

It does a relly good job with SD.

Auto Picture - Personal
Contrast - 100
Brightness - 50
Color - 83
Sharpness - 6
Color Temp - Cool
Digital Processing - Pixel Plus
Dynamic Contrast - Maximum
DNR - Medium
Color Enhancement - On
Tint - 0
Pic Format - Wide Screen
Active Control - Minimum

These are my settings... Anything to make it as clear as possible? I will change the "Active Control" to Maximum to see if that helps... Anything else?
I appreciate the help

YIKES!!!! Too many artificial enhancments. I heven't done my set yet but when I turned it on I set it to the following, looks pretty good.

Auto Pic-Personal
Contrast-75
Brightness-50
Color-55
Sharpmess 2
Color Temp Warm
Dig Processing Pixel Plus
Dynamic Contrast=Off
DNR= Minimum
Color Enhancment=Off
Tint=0
Pic format=Automatic (reduces chance of burn-in/image retention)
Active Control=Off

Try these and report back please.

thanks! these settings are good. the only thing i dont like is that its a little too dark. but i just put the color slightly higher and the brightness slightly higher.

also, how come you put the sharpness at such a low level? i seem to like it when its at 6 because its more crisp

Increased sharpness reduces detail. When you increase the sharpness subtle contours on peoples faces tend to become more angular.

It may look a little dark initially but your eyes get conditioned to it rapidly, and you'll see more.

Glad I could help. Now tell your friend to join up!

haha u mean my cuzin? thanks alot!! i truly appreciate it... im gonna go bring the sharpness level down, to see how it performs... ill let you know in a little while how it is overall..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)