D* acknowledges partial failure:

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Try it again

Key part:
While testing of DIRECTV 10's capability continues, it appears that a portion of the anticipated spot-beam capability may not be fully available. The investigation to determine the cause of the reduced capability and potential means to mitigate its effect is on-going. However, we currently believe our planned expansion of HD local programming as previously announced will not be materially affected.

The link worked for me.. Seems that the partial failure only affects the spot beams for local HDs.. That shouldn't cause a delay on the national networks should it?

Must have been reading while you guys were posting.. Sorry for the duplicate info but that shouldn't affect the national rollout right?

Last edited:
The link worked for me.. Seems that the partial failure only affects the spot beams for local HDs.. That shouldn't cause a delay on the national networks should it?

No.
Depending on whether or not this is something that can be fixed , hopefully here on earth, they would be able to add the other expected spotbeams at that time.
They also mentioned that the D* 11 would go up by the end of this year or beginning of next, I would imagine that if they could not correct the D* 10 problem that 11 would cover the lost areas.

Jimbo

Looks like folks that were flaming and blaming Scott have to eat some crow.

I hope they find the fix because I see this release as 3 fold.

1. The calculations on the ground dont match what the bird can do in the air.

or

2. There is damage to the bird that isnt allowing the expected spotbeams to function as designed.

or

3. There is a software or alignment issue that needs to be fixed to have the satellite reach its intended use and design.

All those things are saying that the sat can not deliver today all the markets they intended it to do. They leave the statement a bit opened ended as they may not have a fix and some channels may be fixed. The silver lining is that the majority of markets are not impacted and the national stuff will work as designed. So for most folks no biggie unless there is more that they are not saying and the number 2 I said above may have long term impacts.

I hope they can figure it out quickly and verify that D11/D12 don't have the same issue with them.

BTW When I mentioned the other day that I have heard that the DirecTV 10 satellite might have have some issue, I was quickly jumped on at another site for picking on DirecTV.

I just report what I hear, good and bad.

I don't make anything up, nor am I out to pick on any company. I just report the buzz I hear. If I hear buzz coming from a few different contacts then I am doing a disservice to you and all our other members and readers if I do not report what I am hearing.

Ultimately I am just a geek who enjoys this technology. I want you to get as much out of it as I get out of it. And I always enjoy learing more about this technology. After all, it's Satellite... It's out of this world!

Well, the release is pretty open-ended. I could be something fairly innocuous such the signal contours of the spot beams drop off at a slightly smaller radius than intended to something a bit more serious like the spot beam pointed at <insert your favorite city> failed.

One of the benefits of the Spaceway sats is that DirecTV can dynamically configure those beams, so I believe them when they say they don't expect this failure to materially impact their HD locals expansion.

Well, the release is pretty open-ended. I could be something fairly innocuous such the signal contours of the spot beams drop off at a slightly smaller radius than intended to something a bit more serious like the spot beam pointed at <insert your favorite city> failed.

One of the benefits of the Spaceway sats is that DirecTV can dynamically configure those beams, so I believe them when they say they don't expect this failure to materially impact their HD locals expansion.

I agree. Its very well written in that it really doesnt say much other then yes there was something. It could be a moot point if they find it, fix it, and make D11 more prepared when it lights up.

On a side note, I still think the Spaceways are underutilized. I don't have any details or inside information but I somehow think Directv expected to get more out of those sats.

BTW When I mentioned the other day that I have heard that the DirecTV 10 satellite might have have some issue, I was quickly jumped on at another site for picking on DirecTV.

I just report what I hear, good and bad.

I don't make anything up, nor am I out to pick on any company. I just report the buzz I hear. If I hear buzz coming from a few different contacts then I am doing a disservice to you and all our other members and readers if I do not report what I am hearing.

Ultimately I am just a geek who enjoys this technology. I want you to get as much out of it as I get out of it. And I always enjoy learing more about this technology. After all, it's Satellite... It's out of this world!

They are starting to eat their crow over there right now.

Earl just posted the following:

But at the start of this week... statements were made that D10 was having issues.... but left to vague interpretation, that quickly (and most comonly), was with in the discussion of the entire SAT...

Not just one segment of the SAT... that is where the "sky is falling" mentality took over. So those that "knew" about this weeks ago... and left it to that interpretation...

I'll come out and flat out say it: I didn't know "weeks" ago, that D10's spotbeams may have had issues... I just found out 40 minutes ago, like the vast majority of you. So kudos to those that "did" know.

I knew about it for a good two weeks if not longer. But I did not know exactly what was wrong, I just knew something was wrong.

I never claimed the sky was falling, just that something was wrong.

It was some of the folks at the other forum who took what I said and snowballed it into a "sky is falling" situation. (Note that most of the messages that we like this were REMOVED from there after people posted them.)

I never tried to claim the sky was falling, I felt it was my duty to our 87,000 members and the hundred of thousands of other readers to report what I was hearing.

The good news is that this should not have any effect on the national services... so I say BRING EM!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)