D* and signal cutouts?????

Status
Please reply by conversation.

smitbret

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 24, 2010
East Idaho
Just switched over from E* to D* about exactly a month ago. I'm generally happy with the change and MRV is living up to my expectations. Streaming networked multimedia to my H24/HR24 boxes is a plus I didn't count on.

Anyway, I am getting very brief pixellations and audio cutouts from time to time on several different channels. I didn't experience this with E*, just a very occasional outage due to sever weather. The issues don't seem to be weather related, they'll happen as much on a sunny morning as a rainy evening, it seems. My signal strengths "appear" to be good, but the meter doesn't seem to be as straightforward as what I was used to seeing with my old 722 receiver. When monitoring my signal strengths, what readings are acceptable? From what I understand, the signal should be better with D* than E* due to my geographic location. The cutouts aren't problematic, yet, but they can be annoying and I'm afraid they could worsen over time.

Or is this just something that D* does..... a little flicker every once in awhile?

Without knowing any numbers, it sounds like your installer didn't do a good job at pointing the dish. I had the same thing when I switched to D earlier this year. Even mist about a third of the Super Bowl (but there was some weather that night). I ran across the diagnostic bit in the menu structure and it said something to the effect that my dish wasn't pointed properly. I called D and they sent someone out to repoint. Since it had only been 3 weeks since install, they didn't charge. I haven't had anything that looked like an outage since.

I get "cutouts" occasionally on WTVD channel 11 out of Raleigh/Durham. Doesn't seem to happen much on other channels. The picture will freeze up for a second, then the screen goes blank for 5 seconds or so, then the picture returns. It may do this several times an hour. As I said it is mostly on ABC-11 but rarely on other channels although it does happen. I attributed it to the ABC-11 signal loss, but I don't know for sure. It is annoying though.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)