D* DVR reliability vs E*

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ryotgz

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
USA
I have E* right now and have had our 722 replaced and the 612 replaced twice. I know it is best to keep them out in the open and not enclosed in an entertainment center. I also slightly elevated them to keep them cooler.

How does D* compare with the rate of E* receivers going bad? Do they have better ventilation? If I get an HR24 can I actually put IN-SIDE the entertainment center instead of on-top without fear of it going bad?

Well you know you're asking a loaded question, of course...but while E*'s latest DVR's may have better functionality, overall D* DVR's seem to be more reliable.

But while having proper ventilation is important on any DVR regardless if it's E* or D*, you really should also considering buying a cheap UPS for your all your DVR's. It really does prolong the lifespan of them (remember they ARE really computers) & also, when you have those annoying short power glitches, you don't have to sit there & wait 5 minutes for them to reboot, not to mention missing any of your show(s) that were recording at that time. For about $25-$35, it's actually cheap insurance... ;) ;)

But to answer your main question, they actually run pretty cool - as long as your center has openings somewhere (think large cutouts in the back, or NO back preferably) you should be fine.

My HR24 runs about 118* IN and entertainment center it's obviously higher than outside of one, but I don't see a problem with it.

Dish's rcvr's def run hotter, and I always used a USB fan to help drop the temp. I even went as far as running my 722K with no cover.

Directv's report cooler temps, but I've not had reliability issues with either. My only problems have been DOA boxes from both.

what I used on all my dvrs from dish to direct is those laptopcoolers pads that are usb just plug it in and go set underneth seem to do wonders for them in my entertainment cases.

I currently have mine hooked up to an APC power supply and definitely helps if the power flickers. I have cut large holes in the back of my entertainment center to help with the heat. I understand they will get warm, but I know heat is a big issue with the dish 722.

Stonecold, that is a great idea for keeping them cool as well. If I decide to place it in the entertainment center I will try using my laptop cooler underneath of it.

Personally, I would not put any electronic entertainment device in a closed cabinent without in/out fan ventilation.

Another thing to consider is Directv's DECA adapters generate considerable heat. THe HR24 & H24 have the internal DECA but that may be the reason they run hotter than the standard HD-DVR and Hx series.

Even another thing to consider is the HR24-500 is very quiet. I have no issues with fan or HDD noise with my HR24-500 installed on a shelf in my bedroom.

My HR22-100 in a ventilated cabinet runs 99-108 degrees C; The HR24-500 mounted high on open shelf runs 102-112 in a house with no A/C thus far this season.

I have my D* HR21/700 inside an entertainment center. With my $20 USB cooling fan, the units internal temp runs at 102 Degrees...without it, it runs at about 114 to 116.

Personally, I would not put any electronic entertainment device in a closed cabinent without in/out fan ventilation.

Another thing to consider is Directv's DECA adapters generate considerable heat. THe HR24 & H24 have the internal DECA but that may be the reason they run hotter than the standard HD-DVR and Hx series.

Even another thing to consider is the HR24-500 is very quiet. I have no issues with fan or HDD noise with my HR24-500 installed on a shelf in my bedroom.

My HR22-100 in a ventilated cabinet runs 99-108 degrees C; The HR24-500 mounted high on open shelf runs 102-112 in a house with no A/C thus far this season.

I was surprised at the amount of heat the DECA adapters produce. You wouldn't think something so small could put out so much heat.

My HR24 is in the same cabinet where my HR20-700 was. It runs at 111 degrees, 6 degrees cooler than my HR20 did. It ran at a steady 117.

I was surprised at the amount of heat the DECA adapters produce. You wouldn't think something so small could put out so much heat.

My HR24 is in the same cabinet where my HR20-700 was. It runs at 111 degrees, 6 degrees cooler than my HR20 did. It ran at a steady 117.

My HR20 ran between 120* and 127* usually and my HR24 runs 118*.

Just found something interesting....
My old HR20-700 use to be in the same entertainment center that my HR24 is in now.
The HR20-700 usually ran at 120*-127*.
The HR20-700 is now in the bedroom, in an open air situation and it is running at 127* still and has been there for about a month now.

So, is this debate as to in or out of an entertainment center worth it, if it doesn't matter where it is , at least in this instance ?

I currently elevate my Dish receivers with a CD jewel case on each corner. It keeps them about 4 - 6 degrees cooler.

My HR20-100 always runs cool. It has never been above 105 and is usually between 98 and 100 when on. When I just turn it on after it has been off it is usually around 95

From what I have read on the D* forum and my assumption, I can use MRV from one HR24 to another HR24 correct? Don't want to assume and be wrong.

From what I have read on the D* forum and my assumption, I can use MRV from one HR24 to another HR24 correct? Don't want to assume and be wrong.

Absolutely! You will see a combined playlist or you can choose not to share a DVRs playlist or you can choose to display local DVRs playlist only.

What will be missing is the ability to schedule recordings in Series Manage or view the To Do List of a remote DVR. Multiple DVRs are nice; that will increase the number of shows you can record at one time and having MRV will enable you to spread your recordings around multiple DVRs but you will need to physically be in front of that DVR to program or manage it unless you're using the H series. I'm not fully aware of the H series limitations as I don't have one! I elected to go with three DVRs.

There is also a limit of one stream per Server to consider. You could not remotely view more than one show from a single DVR (Server) to another H series, DVR or PC (or Clients). Increasing DVRs increases the number of possible streams but again the same limitation exits; one stream per Server.

Collaborative scheduling and management and tuner control is an option that's been asked for a lot; hasn't happened yet but I'm sure they've considered it themselves. Another thing I think becomes a necessity when having multiple DVRs in a DECA/MRV network is administrator controls and passwords to further limit access of a child in the house. That would certainly have to be considered if collaborating the scheduling and management of multiple DVRs.

It was reported that DVRs that were set not to display playlists from other DVRs reverted to showing the Unified Playlist (UPL) when the DVR was rebooted. This resulted in some lost recordings when children started deleting shows that were parentally locked to them. Having little control over that DVRs ability to delete from the UPL lead to the removal of the DECA adapter. The options we're limited to is to share playlist with all remote DVRs or not share playlist with all remote DVRs. The same applies to allow deletion by all remote DVRs or not to allow deletion to remote DVRs. (Actually, I think that includes the H Series).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)