No Directv for me.............

Status
Please reply by conversation.
What were they being stickler's about?

If it's the HR24 thing....sign up....either make your own notes if you order online or make the CSR do it if your ordering over the phone.

Tell the technician.....if they aren't all HR24/H24s, then either cancel my appointment or call me to reschedule when you can have the proper equipment.

If they don't have HR24, don't allow the install.

My 2 cents. If it's not about getting HR24/H24's, then just give me a penny back.

So in other words D* wants way to much in upfront costs?

Yep.... D* is about the only place you have to pay upfront for reciver fees, Comcast is willing to give me any and all equipment up front for free. Uverse the same, but im staying 10 feet away from uverse and their HD stream limits.... Dish, well I allready had the equipment there.... and Dish was willing to match Directv when I first signed up. I only had to pay for one reciver at full price and that was 99 bucks for a 211.

So, if D* wants to match what my current setup is, Then I would be more than happy to be a D* coustomer. I'm just not paying the upgrade fees again especally when I paid them the first time, and they were signifigantly more than what they were now.

What were they being stickler's about?

If it's the HR24 thing....sign up....either make your own notes if you order online or make the CSR do it if your ordering over the phone.

Tell the technician.....if they aren't all HR24/H24s, then either cancel my appointment or call me to reschedule when you can have the proper equipment.

If they don't have HR24, don't allow the install.

My 2 cents. If it's not about getting HR24/H24's, then just give me a penny back.

I dont care what model it is... I just want two hd dvr's and two normal Hd recivers and a standard def box. D* just wants too much in upfront costs.

I've never had an issues getting free upgrades with E*.

D* on the other hand, Well 1 Free DVR is the most I could ever get from D*.

And that was only cause I told them what E* was offing me, and I was out of a contract.

Yep.... D* is about the only place you have to pay upfront for reciver fees, Comcast is willing to give me any and all equipment up front for free. Uverse the same, but im staying 10 feet away from uverse and their HD stream limits.... Dish, well I allready had the equipment there.... and Dish was willing to match Directv when I first signed up. I only had to pay for one reciver at full price and that was 99 bucks for a 211.

So, if D* wants to match what my current setup is, Then I would be more than happy to be a D* coustomer. I'm just not paying the upgrade fees again especally when I paid them the first time, and they were signifigantly more than what they were now.

Bob,
You are fully aware of UPFRONT cost going into D*.
Why would you expect YOUR any different than any other one of us that paid Upfront charges.
Your starting to sound like this is your first day here.

Fwiw, I would MUCH rather pay the upfront cost for my equipment than pay EXTRA MONEY EVERY MONTH, as you do with Cable.
Those addl. fees go on for the duration of your time with them, at least with D* once they are paid for your done.

It would be nice if you no longer had commitments after your first 2 years, but thats another story all together.

Bob,
Why would you expect YOUR any different than any other one of us that paid Upfront charges.

Fwiw, I would MUCH rather pay the upfront cost for my equipment than pay EXTRA MONEY EVERY MONTH, as you do with Cable.
Those addl. fees go on for the duration of your time with them, at least with D* once they are paid for your done.

Jimbo, I allreay paid those upfront costs once.. Not doing it again!

Scream? Then moan, shake head, place head in hands, ..... ;)

What does D* give new customers for free? 1 HD-DVR and 1 HD Receiver?

But I could call E* right now I bet , and walk away with atleast a 722 ,with a commitment.

D* wants $99 for another HD DVR and they are still handing out HR 21 in my area.

I think its crap that you can't choose what HD DVR you want.

Even E* when you upgrade you can tell them what you want.

Maybe D* should stick with one HR version instead of all these Crappy 21,22,23's
floating around!

Of course there may be a HR25 by then !
Yep and No one will want the HR 24, But everyone will be getting it.
Just like no one wants a HR21 but D* keeps handing out these crappy machines.

IF A D* TECH SHOWS UP WITH ONE OF THESE HR 21'S AT MY DOOR STEP.

He Better run like He##, Because that HR21 will be going through that D* vans window.:rant:

Bob,

It would be nice if you no longer had commitments after your first 2 years, but thats another story all together.

That's what I figured too, Bob. Either the $15-$20 a month for each Charter HD-DVR (my cable provider), $17 a month for a DUAL TUNER HD-DVR from DISH (there is no true dual tuner HD-DVR that can be had for less per month, and I would never want a single tuner DVR), or $5 per box no matter what kind from DirecTV.

You get $300 in receiver savings if you can be a new customer.

You are talking $200+$200+$100+$100+$0=$600-$300 = $300

You can get 40% back in BING Cashback in 60 days after your order for your initial installation costs. So that would be $120 back. Just need to start my using their link.

$180 for 4 HD receivers that can all use the DVR functionality doesn't seem too bad. BING Cashback ends on 7/31/10, but all purchases made before that date are golden!

DirecTV receiver fees for you would be $20/mo x 24 months = $480 (5 receivers)

DISH for 2 dual tuner HD-DVRs, 2 standard HD boxes = $744 (4 receivers using SD output of one HD-DVR) $912 adding a stand alone 5th reciever

DISH for 2 SINGLE tuner HD-DVRs, 2 standard HD boxes = $576

So, comparing apples to apples, your receiver fees will be $264 cheaper (not adding in taxes) in the 1st 2 years. $432 over 2 years if you actually got 5 receivers from DISH. Add another $3 a month, and it's like you have 4 HD-DVRs with DirecTV. Your even $100 cheaper comparing to old, single tuner, 612 receivers from DISH.

So, if your going to say no because of the cost over "principle", well then, yeah, not much we can do to argue the point. But if you want to look at real costs and savings....I think the choice is clear.

Yep and No one will want the HR 24, But everyone will be getting it.
Just like no one wants a HR21 but D* keeps handing out these crappy machines.

IF A D* TECH SHOWS UP WITH ONE OF THESE HR 21'S AT MY DOOR STEP.

He Better run like He##, Because that HR21 will be going through that D* vans window.:rant:

Until the HR24's came out, I continued to ask for HR20-700's and got them everytime, just pointing out that the Newest recvr is NOT always the best recvr.

Until the HR24's came out, I continued to ask for HR20-700's and got them everytime, just pointing out that the Newest recvr is NOT always the best recvr.

Hey Jimbo,

I bought off eBay an OWNED HR20-100s (confirmed) because I wanted a receiver I could throw and larger INTERNAL drive into that I have and have the integrated OTA. I have 4 HR24s coming from DirecTV for my new install tomorrow (either HR24s or nothing as noted for the tech).

It'll probably get used mostly remotely from another HR24 via MRV. What are you thoughts of the HR20 compared to the HR24 both locally and over MRV?

Thanks,

Jason

What does D* give new customers for free? 1 HD-DVR and 1 HD Receiver?
yes. i'm getting my folks setup to switch to D* and they are getting one free HD DVR and HD receiver and one free sd receiver. besides the discounts they'll get and free hd access.

Status
Please reply by conversation.