D* install at boat dock

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

wvu1003

Original poster
May 26, 2005
I've searched this forum and called D* to no avail, so I thought I'd ask the question here, I hope you all can help me.

I want to install a new dish, fixed mount on my boat dock. I have a coax input (single input) at the rear of the boat that we currently use for cable when away from our home dock. I have two HD tvs on the boat that I would like to view programming on.

I have 120v power to the two locations I would want to add receivers.

My dock is in a different market than my home. I live in Richmond, VA and the dock is in Northern VA.

I am aware of the KVH dome type D* systems, but this solution won't work for me as the boat is under a rather substantial steel covered dock.

Aside from two receivers, what equipment do I need? If necessary, I suppose I can get that answer from one of the forum sponsors I've done business with in the past. Is it possible (legal) to purchase the equipment necessary for this install and "add" the receivers to my current home account? I'm pretty sure the spot beams overlap for locals. It seems that folks with RV's are able to add "remote" receivers, but D* CS has NO idea, and I got tired of being transferred and having my calls "dropped"

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Sean

I've done a few of these.

There will be a need to locate the dish near the meter for your shore power and ground everything there. You will need one to four cables from dish to each tuner. Measure from the dish to your boat and locate a second ground block there. (125 ft or less if possible) You will need a cable from the second ground block to each receiver.

Directv will allow you to have receivers for your (boat) RV. Technically you are supposed to notify DTV when you move your receivers but you have already tried. If you connect a phone line to the boxes while away from your residence it will confuse them so no PPV movies on the boat unless you order them on line.

It makes a difference in the plan how far your boat will be from the dish. Also need to know what type receivers and how many to plan the wiring.

It goes about like the above.

Putting the dish on the nearest piling is not recommended.

Joe

Last edited:
I've forgot to mention unfortunately, that boat owners are NOT eligible to recieve distant network feeds of ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX from NYC/LA or local-into-local service. I think it's a SHVERA thing. Congress messed up this law and ticked-off Americans. I know how you feel about the issue.

I've done a few of these.

There will be a need to locate the dish near the meter for your shore power and ground everything there. You will need one to four cables from dish to each tuner. Measure from the dish to your boat and locate a second ground block there. (125 ft or less if possible) You will need a cable from the second ground block to each receiver.

Directv will allow you to have receivers for your (boat) RV. Technically you are supposed to notify DTV when you move your receivers but you have already tried. If you connect a phone line to the boxes while away from your residence it will confuse them so no PPV movies on the boat unless you order them on line.

It makes a difference in the plan how far your boat will be from the dish. Also need to know what type receivers and how many to plan the wiring.

It goes about like the above.

Putting the dish on the nearest piling is not recommended.

Joe

Why is putting the dish on the nearest piling not recommended? If I need to put the dish anywhere but there, I can't do it, the Marina wont allow it. There are a few dishes already mounted in that fashion, and I have found out that at least one of them is grounded to the dock, though I don't know how.

I'm not worried about the piling moving, if that's the reason for it. Regarding cable runs, I have one input at the back of the boat, so long as I don't have DVRs wouldn't I be able to use just that one wire from the dish?

I don't have much technical knowledge of the equipment, and I appreciate the insight from someone who has done these before. D* CS tried to tell me I can only use the KVH systems or the portable tailgater system. Worthless...

Thanks.

Why is putting the dish on the nearest piling not recommended? If I need to put the dish anywhere but there, I can't do it, the Marina wont allow it. There are a few dishes already mounted in that fashion, and I have found out that at least one of them is grounded to the dock, though I don't know how.

I'm not worried about the piling moving, if that's the reason for it. Regarding cable runs, I have one input at the back of the boat, so long as I don't have DVRs wouldn't I be able to use just that one wire from the dish?

I don't have much technical knowledge of the equipment, and I appreciate the insight from someone who has done these before. D* CS tried to tell me I can only use the KVH systems or the portable tailgater system. Worthless...

Thanks.

you can use that input jack on the back of your boat assuming there are no cable spliters attached to it.

Been there / done that..If you install a smaller phase 3 dish(also called 18x20,triplesat,or multisat). You would get about 10 HD channels. This dish would have better tolerance to a floating enviroment. It would have to be realigned from time to time(especailly with drastic water level changes).
If you install the larger KAKU dish you will get the rest of your HD but you will find yourself CONSTANTLY re-tuning to get them back in. The KAKU dish would work much better if you can put on the ground where it couldn't move. Hope this Helps

Thanks.

Here are the reasons for what I mentioned and again it is advice.
RE: the piling.... They get banged by your boat and others. As long as you can repoint the dish when necessary that is not a deal breaker. The dish arm is fragile. I have replaced a bunch of them after someone at the boat yard tied a line to one or banged it somehow.
The grounding.......Running a cable with ground from the dish to a ground block is the standard. Around marine electronics I would CYA by using the shore power ground source. Seek competent marine electronics advice on this one. I am not it.

the coax port.......Yes it may work..but if you can be sure there are no splitters and have access to the fittings go for it. Any cable ding will fail in a salt environment and all fittings should be opened & checked at least yearly. Expect green corrosion anywhere salt water has been. Depends how far down the Potomac you go. When underway you have to make sure that port is closed and waterproof. Having WD-40 & electrolytic grease around would be a good idea to keep fittings dry.

the mounting system..... Consider vice grips or a wood clamp; with some clamps you can pick a vertical or horizontal structure...even the dock.. and mount your dish temporarily after you learn to point it. You have a compass aboard and the set up menu will give you an azimuth to any zip code you go to. The suggestion would be to mount the mast temporarily and take it and the dish down when you will be away from the boat. The setup I did with the mast & dish on the same board with the dock e meter worked ok. Each owner was responsible for his own cable & receiver.
But you do what is possible.
DO NOT turn on or plug anything in until you are sure no active cable fittings are in the water. Disconnect during lightning events and when you are away from the boat

Hope these considerations help.

Joe

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts