D* is getting smoked!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

vgsantiago

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
San Diego
How much longer must we suffer? Big and bold on today's main page, Dish announces their new channels. Most of us already knew that. NFLHD,HGTVHD, etc...

Right on the heels our D*'s new big channel announcement (Sleuth) not!! Dish follows right along.

Yeah, yeah, give it to me:

"You can switch at any time"
"07 is around the corner"
"D* is focusing on locals"
"THe new HD-DVR will kick a$$"

did I miss anything?

Only been on for 2 months and I'm frustrated, give me why all of you long time customers have hung in there this long? Is this a late surge by Dish?

I mentioned it before, if not for NFLST, and sports programming. Dish might be looking to take over D*.

D* will not be the HD leader because whatever HD programming D* gets, Dish will already have or just add it also.

:mad:

vgsantiago said:
How much longer must we suffer? Big and bold on today's main page, Dish announces their new channels. Most of us already knew that. NFLHD,HGTVHD, etc...

Right on the heels our D*'s new big channel announcement (Sleuth) not!! Dish follows right along.

Yeah, yeah, give it to me:

"You can switch at any time"
"07 is around the corner"
"D* is focusing on locals"
"THe new HD-DVR will kick a$$"

did I miss anything?

Only been on for 2 months and I'm frustrated, give me why all of you long time customers have hung in there this long? Is this a late surge by Dish?

I mentioned it before, if not for NFLST, and sports programming. Dish might be looking to take over D*.

D* will not be the HD leader because whatever HD programming D* gets, Dish will already have or just add it also.

:mad:

You are right Buddy.....D* is getting smoked when HD is the topic.:eek: :devil:

I am a 10 year customer of DirecTV...

Why have I stayed with them? And still stay with them?
There is more then just HD programming in question.

Issues in the past keep me from going to Dish Network (some of their early implementation that required their exclusive expensive Multiswitches, for example)

The Viacom fiasco a few years back, and a few others.

Take away VOOM and they have a few more channels.
(I have never been impressed with VOOM)

Would I like more HD... sure... Am I am going to get rid of the multiple $1,000's in equipment I have.......

DirecTV will catch up.... They really have no choice.
If they don't... they won't last much longer.

I am with D* only because living in South Florida I can't see the 129, where the VOOM channels are. 61.5 is no option since I don't have East view either.

Worse than the lack of new HD channels is the terrible picture in SD and the HD-Lite . I think if they add new HD channels the picture will be unwatchable even on a 19" TV (that's the TV size I think D* uses as a reference for PQ)

Sergio

I forgot to mention.. I have a bad feeling with the HD-TIVO replacement. When D* makes it available it will probably be obsolete. Take a look at the new HD-DVR announced by AT&T with full internet capability. Wonderful!

Sergio

ebonovic said:
There is more then just HD programming in question.

Issues in the past keep me from going to Dish Network (some of their early implementation that required their exclusive expensive Multiswitches, for example)

The Viacom fiasco a few years back, and a few others.

Would I like more HD... sure... Am I am going to get rid of the multiple $1,000's in equipment I have.......

DirecTV will catch up.... They really have no choice.
If they don't... they won't last much longer.

I was oblivious to satellite TV till the last few months so it must have been bad, that VIACOM fiasco. Bought my first house back in January, so never kept up with it till now.

I'm sure all the equipment the long time D* customers have invested have a lot to do with staying. If I had to buy equipment I probably still be with cable.

HD programming will soon be the only thing to talk about, I mean that is the reason Dish bought VOOM and D* has 2 SATS going up.

Young adults all they know is HD programming, and who has the most will get their business. Unless they are major NFL fans, watch out D*, the window is closing.

For me, HD Tivo and my wife. Cant toss the HD Tivo or wife. Both are here to stay. :)

Also HD Sunday Ticket, good combo of HD channels (albeit HD Lite), and the promise of 2007 and Direct capture in my Windows Media Center. 2007 will definately be the real decision point for me if they dont deliver.

May have to toss the wife if E* package is much better. :)

It's hard to believe how Dish is getting any new channels? I would think with there massive piracy problems no channels would want to be on there system, or progamming that is already there would not renew contracts, does not make much sense, seems to be the case in Canada also, Bell seems to be adding channels while the secure system Star Choice is slow.

I just read the Team Summit Thread on Dish Network. Wow, D* IS getting smoked. I know some folks are steady eddy but my gosh. So much for E* being reactionary. They seem to have a plan and are doing it at an amazing pace. Wow. Wow.

tdti1 said:
It's hard to believe how Dish is getting any new channels? I would think with there massive piracy problems no channels would want to be on there system, or progamming that is already there would not renew contracts, does not make much sense, seems to be the case in Canada also, Bell seems to be adding channels while the secure system Star Choice is slow.

HD on dish is actually very secure as it uses 8psk encoding... There are no DVB Free to air 8psk capable recivers on the market.. even for pc's.. The ones that are avabile are few and far between :)

I can't help but notice your avatar, vgsantiago. You're not offbase with your criticism of DirecTV, especially in regards to HD, but you'll be SOL getting your YES Yankee games if you go to Dish.

goaliebob99 said:
HD on dish is actually very secure as it uses 8psk encoding... There are no DVB Free to air 8psk capable recivers on the market.. even for pc's.. The ones that are avabile are few and far between :)

Hmm, well with 3-5 dvb company's claiming they will have a HD mpeg-4 unit out soon I guess we will see what Dish does then.

Who cares about hacking? Its illegal and doesn't matter! The bottom line is if you are unsatisfied with a service, and feel you don't want to wait for their upgrades, just quit crying and switch. Questions to gain understanding and knowledge is one thing, but to continually post the same stuff over and over again is tired and childish IMHO. Flame me, but come on, if you prefer one over another just switch and post over there.

bidger` said:
I can't help but notice your avatar, vgsantiago. You're not offbase with your criticism of DirecTV, especially in regards to HD, but you'll be SOL getting your YES Yankee games if you go to Dish.

LOL... same with the MSG channel (New York Knicks)
Don't know if Dish has MSG, but if they did they're not worth watching right now anyway.

charper1 said:
Who cares about hacking? Its illegal and doesn't matter! The bottom line is if you are unsatisfied with a service, and feel you don't want to wait for their upgrades, just quit crying and switch. Questions to gain understanding and knowledge is one thing, but to continually post the same stuff over and over again is tired and childish IMHO. Flame me, but come on, if you prefer one over another just switch and post over there.

D* is so great, all hail D*. I already covered the "go switch if your not satisfied" reply. (just kidding, really:D )

There is nothing to talk about, other than who is scheduled for Locals this week. When there is something to talk about other than Sleuth, I'm sure we'll all lighten up.

Wait, wait, and wait some more, THAT is what we hear from the D* apologists. I've been with them from '94. When my time is up with them I'm gone if something hasn't changed.

I had Dish for about 5 years and have had Directv for over 2 years now. I also installed Dish and Directv side by side for a couple of years and I perfer Directv by far more than Dish on both subjects. The number of bad equipment I had to replace with Dish was 10 to 1 over Directv. Bad switches and bad receivers were a comman daily problem with Dish. When they had the 522's if we got 15 in atleast 3 of them would be bad out of the box.

Also what is with the all the products lets see Dish 1000, Dish 500, Dish 1000.2, Vip211, Vip411, 622, 311, 625, bla bla bla bla bla bla. I am sure I am missing some.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)