This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

D* is not doing away with OTA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Ronnie-

Member of the Year
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Aug 28, 2007
mississippi
Just wanted to post this since it seems alot of people are thinking that D* is completely doing away with OTA support.
This is not true.
Yes they are releasing a new series of boxes (the H/HR-21) that dont have OTA built in.
However these are not replacing the entire H/HR-20 series line.
Hopefully this will help the rumors about this subject.

I for one know that they are still making the HR20-100's(I think), but the fact there is not a way to specify you get an HR20 instead of and HR21 is stupid. Period.

I for one know that they are still making the HR20-100's(I think), but the fact there is not a way to specify you get an HR20 instead of and HR21 is stupid. Period.
yes it is the 100.

There is one way, get it from BB or CC.
However i agree, D* should do something about getting it from them

There will be an external OTA tuner available for the HR21 early next year which will add OTA features for those who want OTA support.

There will be an external OTA tuner available for the HR21 early next year which will add OTA features for those who want OTA support.

Scott, has anyone heard yet whether this will be a dual tuner solution or a single tuner solution. This is another concern of mine.

I guess if my HR20 craps out before I get hd lil's, Ill just have to try my best to get another HR20 sent to me.

I've not seen if it will be a single tuner or a dual tuner. A single tuner is useless for many people without HD LIL.

At what cost to the sub ?

Jimbo

I was just thinking the same thing. I posted in another thread that I thought it was stupid to not include OTA support directly built in. I see now that it was just another for way for them to pry your wallet open even further.

I've not seen if it will be a single tuner or a dual tuner. A single tuner is useless for many people without HD LIL.

Actually having no OTA tuners is useless for many people without HD LIL. A single tuner would have some use.

Actually having no OTA tuners is useless for many people without HD LIL. A single tuner would have some use.

Actually, this could be a way that D* determines a good way to , in a round about way to get people to order thier Locals channels, but I would have expected this to happen after they have like 90% of the LIL's up and running, not now.

With the backlash they are probably hearing about i, they may have already decided to go back and put OTA tuners back in the next gen.

Jimbo

I think they counted their chickens too early. They ASSumed D10 would be giving some locals and they ASSumed D11 would go up without delay.

How many people would be as happy to go back to a single satellite tuner DVR? The HR21 only makes sense in an environment where HD LIL is available for all channels. It makes no sense with the sporadic HD LIL coverage we now have.

How many people would be as happy to go back to a single satellite tuner DVR? The HR21 only makes sense in an environment where HD LIL is available for all channels. It makes no sense with the sporadic HD LIL coverage we now have.

Sporadic coverage? Directv has hd lil's in most of the top 70 markets! When D11 is up and running that number will go way up, no doubt.

Sporadic coverage? Directv has hd lil's in most of the top 70 markets! When D11 is up and running that number will go way up, no doubt.

How many markets were on the original list as to what cities were going to be serviced ?

I doubt that they will get to the 210 major markets in the US anytime soon.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.