D* Lease model - Did they think about this???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

herdfan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 22, 2004
Cottonwood, AZ
This thread http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=59872 about whether or not there should be sales tax on a leased receiver got me thinking about something.

If I understand it correctly, D* retains ownership of the property. They carry it on their books as an asset.

Why would these assets not be subject to property tax in every single jurisdiction in the country?

Food for thought.

dragon002 said:
property tax ( real estate tax) is on REAL PROPERTY, land, buildings etc.
Maybe in PA, but here in WV, ALL business property is taxed. Computers, desks, inventory. Everything.

In most parts of the world, the general property tax is now applied only to real estate. However, in West Virginia and in many other states it is still applied to personal property. In fact, property tax revenue in West Virginia has been shifting inadvertently over the past two decades toward a greater emphasis on personal property. This trend results from the reluctance on the part of assessors to increase real estate assessments and the relative difficulties of objectively measuring real estate values. In contrast, assessments on certain personal property such as motor vehicles and business equipment are relatively easy to determine and increase more or less automatically.

Although the West Virginia Code calls for the taxation of personal property items such as stocks, bonds, bills and accounts receivable, and other intangible personal property owned by individuals, in practice individuals are actually assessed and taxed only for motor vehicles. Businesses, on the other hand, pay a personal property tax on such items as machinery and equipment, inventory, and intangibles

Source: http://www.polsci.wvu.edu/ipa/par/report_8_3.html

Last edited:
HERDFAN, Glad you noticed and brought it up. Without saying too much let's just say you give D* enough rope and they will hang themselves. Their accounting practices as well as a few other things are not being ignored by certain government entities and when the time comes watch D*'s attorneys start to scramble.
I too will never rent or "lease" and have other ways to get programming without signing everything away. The big dish is just one small answer.

:mad: Absolutely!!! I hope the AG's of EVERY state in the US bury Murdoch, Carey, Chernin and the rest of D's* management cronies in court. Because of this ripoff of a lease agreement w/ a 2 year contract, I hope D* gets its tail handed to them in every court in the country!!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh notify each states that DTV leasing the equipment and they should taxed. Now, whos loss, sure either DTV or Dish.

herdfan said:
This thread http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=59872 about whether or not there should be sales tax on a leased receiver got me thinking about something.

If I understand it correctly, D* retains ownership of the property. They carry it on their books as an asset.

Why would these assets not be subject to property tax in every single jurisdiction in the country?

Food for thought.

Maybe this is why ALL of our programming packages went up at the same time as the leaseing program hit.

We pay extra programming and D* uses it to pay the accompying TAX ...

Yes, I would say they DID think about it.

JMO , I have not facts to back up this, but it does make sense, and covers D*'s end.

Jimbo

Jimbos said:
Maybe this is why ALL of our programming packages went up at the same time as the leaseing program hit.

We pay extra programming and D* uses it to pay the accompying TAX ...

Yes, I would say they DID think about it.

JMO , I have not facts to back up this, but it does make sense, and covers D*'s end.

Jimbo

I'm sure D* has had their high priced team of lawyers do their work on the new leasing program. And I'm sure they have a lot more smarts than the $h*t house
wannabe lawyers making these ridiculus posts! LOL I agree with jimbos post . D* and E* have their butts covered legally on leasing. If you don't like leasing then the solution for you is DON'T LEASE!

Last edited:
ArtWIS said:
I'm sure D* has had their high priced team of lawyers do their work on the new leasing program. And I'm sure they have a lot more smarts than the $h*t house wannabe lawyers
I woundn't give a squirt of !@#$ for D*'s lawyers. Those lawyers have not stopped D* from getting fined over $10M in the last few months for deceptive practices and no-call list violations.:confused:

herdfan said:
I woundn't give a squirt of !@#$ for D*'s lawyers. Those lawyers have not stopped D* from getting fined over $10M in the last few months for deceptive practices and no-call list violations.:confused:

10M is peanuts for D*! I imagine their (D*) appealing it and if they do eventually lose it will be years from now.

ArtWIS said:
10M is peanuts for D*! I imagine their (D*) appealing it and if they do eventually lose it will be years from now.
One of them they settled for $5M. So they paid it already. The other is more recent, so it may be awhile.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)